Southend Living

• 2 weeks later...

A few rail trail notes from this morning:

1) Spectrum appears to have a large new sign on the trail -- its a large red exclamation point. Its nice to see the community recognizing the existence of the trail more.

2) Sycamore has removed their crappy chain link fence, but no other landscape changes are yet evident.

3) The excavation beside the tracks on the Publix side (running north of Publix) is indeed for some signal projects for the light rail. Four underground vaults and a signal post were being installed today (possibly for a ped crossing gate system? Or possibly not). The excavations looks a little like it might become rail trail but two of the vaults stick way out of the ground, so the trail on that side certainly would not be flat or easy to build.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Tremont Music Hall is closing.

Tremont Music Hall has been a home to me and many local, regional, and national acts for the past 20 years. Not only has it been my great honor to own Tremont the past 5 years but it has been a greater joy to get to know the many fine musicians, wrestlers and comedians that Tremont has hosted.

Sadly, some things must change as economic prosperity moves into South End. Unfortunately, our building has been sold and we will be closing our doors on December 19th. We have a very special show planned on our final day to say thank you to some of the local bands that have supported us through the years.

My hope is that the 20 years of Tremont Music Hall will be remembered fondly; as we have worked very hard to make everyone who came through our doors feel like part of ‘The Tremont Family.

God Bless

-John Hayes, Owner

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, also a running store is going into the Furman project at Camden and West. 

That said, the only retail that would really satisfy me would be 1) vinyl records, 2) software (Babbages!) or 3) Japanese electronics things that Americans have never seen before. Perhaps my expectations are a little dated.

Ugh, also a running store is going into the Furman project at Camden and West. 

That said, the only retail that would really satisfy me would be 1) vinyl records, 2) software (Babbages!) or 3) Japanese electronics things that Americans have never seen before. Perhaps my expectations are a little dated.

No, Ultra Running (posted above) is going in Camden Gallery Apartments which is at Camden & West. Furman's 1616 Center is at Kingston & Camden

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't exactly sure where to place this review, since this does not qualify as a "good" new restaurant and has yet to "bite the dust".  Anyway, I had dinner at Hot Taco last week and have to say I really miss Greek Isles.  The food was pretty mediocre.  We ordered the stuffed jalapenos for an app and I had the steak fajitas for an entree.  The jalapenos were okay, but there was quite a bit of breading on the peppers, which I did not like.  The dipping sauce was some sort of chipotle mayo concoction which was not very tasty.  My fajitas were fine but again, they were nothing to write home about.  My date's quesadillas were under cooked, as the shredded cheese inside was not even melted.  Also, service was extremely slow!  The place was not very busy, but I noticed all of the other patrons waiting a long time for drinks and food as well. The interior is very bright and colorful, which is a plus.  Obviously the location is great, so maybe they will last, but the ambiance (minus the lazy Mexican statues) and locale are the only things going for it.  I will not be making a second trip here.

*Edited for typos

Edited by abttown

Wasn't exactly sure where to place this review, since this does not quality as a "good" new restaurant and has yet to "bite the dust".  Anyway, I had dinner at Hot Taco last week and have to say I really miss Greek Isles.  The food was pretty mediocre.  We ordered the stuffed jalapenos for an app and I had the steak fajitas for an entree.  The jalapenos were okay, but there was quite a bit of breading on the peppers, which I did not like.  The dipping sauce was some sort of chipotle mayo concoction which was not very tasty.  My fajitas were fine but again, they were nothing to write home about.  My date's quesadillas were under cooked, as the shredded cheese inside was not even melted.  Also, service was extremely slow!  The place was not very busy, but I noticed all of the other patrons waiting a long time for drinks and food as well. The interior is very bright and colorful, which is a plus.  Obviously the location is great, so maybe they will last, but the ambiance (minus the lazy Mexican statues) and locale are the only things going for it.  I will not be making a second trip here.

This place seems to be designed for the southend bro's and 30k millionaires who want to impress the ladies by buying lots of drinks at the bar. 

It's getting blasted on review sites. Sounds really terrible. The bottle cap group makes so much damn money from their other properties this will probably last longer than it should thanks to their funding. However, any business can only hold on to a money pit for so long. Don't see this being here in 2 years. 

Seems like 3 out of 4 taco bar concepts that open in Charlotte are just done incredibly badly. For every great one (Bakersfield) we get, there's a Longboards, Hot Taco, and Texicali (which is amazingly still open). 

If only Johnny Burrito could expand into their own brick and mortar store and open for dinner, there would be no other room for competition. I eat there too often as it is though. 

• Like 1

Seems like 3 out of 4 taco bar concepts that open in Charlotte are just done incredibly badly. For every great one (Bakersfield) we get, there's a Longboards, Hot Taco, and Texicali (which is amazingly still open). 

I have no clue how Texicali is open. It's such a shame because the inside and patio are awesome. I've heard the food is total garbage though. 

• 1 month later...

I stumbled across a nice example of pop up urbanism today. Christmas tree sales along the railtrail at All American Pub and the (possibly racist) Hot Taco:

trees.jpg

Also I finally took a photo of the splash pad at Carson / Rail Trail (the name of these new apts escapes me at the moment). Apologies if this has been mentioned before. While it seems a bit out of place beside the apartments, it will be a really nice hot weather feature of the rail trail park. 

splash.jpg

Edited by kermit

24 minutes ago, kermit said:

I stumbled across a nice example of pop up urbanism today. Christmas tree sales along the railtrail at All American Pub and the (possibly racist) Hot Taco:

trees.jpg

Also I finally took a photo of the splash pad at Carson / Rail Trail (the name of these new apts escapes me at the moment). Apologies if this has been mentioned before. While it seems a bit out of place beside the apartments, it will be a really nice hot weather feature of the rail trail park. 

splash.jpg

Why is there scaffolding on Mosaic SouthEnd? What kind of work is being done there?

• Like 1