Southend Living

There's a new spot opening up in the old Heck Yeah Coffee Hub building (the black one near Price's Chicken Coop). There is a new mural on the front of it now - it's called The Exalted Crane. Not sure what type of establishment this is going to be, but I've noticed people working there the past few days. Anyone have any ideas or inside knowledge?

There's a new spot opening up in the old Heck Yeah Coffee Hub building (the black one near Price's Chicken Coop). There is a new mural on the front of it now - it's called The Exalted Crane. Not sure what type of establishment this is going to be, but I've noticed people working there the past few days. Anyone have any ideas or inside knowledge?

Very curious. I hope it's another cafe type place though I'd be happy with about any type of gathering place. Southend is really beginning to get a surge of new cafes, lounges, restaurants, and clubs. Last year there were a handful, other than the chain restaurants we had: Phat Burrito, Vinnie's, Tutto Mundo, 300 East, Liaisons, 1300 Tavern, Tavern on the Tracks, Jillians, Greek Isles, Gin Mill, Amos', Apostrophie.

Now add in: Common Market, Dharma Lounge, On The Roxx, Napoleans Exile (really, thats the name??), plus whispers of a couple more.

It's really shaping up to be a great varied district with lots of choices just outside uptown. Great American and International food, live music, sports bars, cafes, low-key bars, high energy dance clubs, gay bars, Hip Hop bars...

I made it to Dharma Lounge tonight. Nice spot, though it was dead early on. Apparently the crowd is supposed to get bigger after 11:00, but unfortunately that's a bit to late for me to get to bed at a decent hour for the next weekday (Friday or Saturday night...different story). DJ Ryan (the DJ at Common Market South End on Friday nights) was spinning some indie tunes mixed with a little bit of low-key hip hop. I heard Peter Bjorn and John, Passion Pit, Woodhands, 6pm, Miike Snow, and a few other good tracks in the short time that I was there. Expect CM Friday night music without the mainstream and older stuff. Drinks were cheap - $5 for mid-shelf liquor (Jack Daniels, Smirnoff).

The atmosphere itself was great - a bit empty feeling, but then again...it was pretty much empty considering the time I was there. It's definitely a bar geared for a crowd. The sparsely placed sofas would seem a bit different if people were standing all around them. The bamboo-lined patio outside is nice, but honestly....I was expecting hookahs from the original intentions that I'd heard of Dharma when it was planned near the Silos. No sign of them, or that they would ever be there. Just some outdoor sofas and some high tables with ashtrays. Inside, a huge Buddha sits above the bar, which is a beautiful bar (as is the DJ booth, outfitted similarly to the bar). I don't want to sound like I am downplaying this place with the negatives - it's pretty damned cool!

Overall, great spot, great music, great time tonight. Granted it was dead...hopefully this place will pick up. But also, I hope the fact that it might pick up won't ruin the indie vibe that I saw and heard there tonight.

It's a yoga studio.

• 2 weeks later...

I am happily admitting I was wrong regarding American Apparel's Southend's vibe. Had to pick up some basics for the weekend and figured I would try again. The employees were all very cool and friendly. I suppose we all have our grouchy moments I know I do, so I can't really hold it against someone else who was having a bad day on my prior visit. On this trip I also snagged a "Legalize Gay" shirt that fits right. My freebie at Pride was ginourmous. ( Went by the SouthPark store too and they were nice as well).

Edited by voyager12

• 2 weeks later...

John Duncan, the man behind Bonterra, Mac’s Speed Shop and The Lodge will open Icehouse, a sports bar and restaurant that will fill a prominent space left dormant for more than a year. It is expected to open in January or February. This is the vacant spot left by Woods on South... I hope this spot succeeds. I think a Sportsbar could do well here... Not to mention is walking distance for me :alc:

Edited by dbull75

• 4 weeks later...

I got a confirmation today that American Apparel is closing. I was at the store today and noticed the Southern Real Estate "Space Available" sign in the window. I asked an employee and she said yes, the store was definitely closing. They are stuck in a lease and are just waiting for a new tenant to take it over or for their lease to run out, then AA will be out. Apparently the owner prefers mall spaces because of more traffic. Strangely enough, the store was very busy when I was there today. Probably 20 people inside shopping. I just hope it doesn't turn into offices or another frickin' salon. There are already like 20 salons in South End. Crossing my fingers for some decent retail to take its place.

On another disconcerting note, I was at Dharma last night with a group of about 10 people from around midnight until 1. We accounted for about 75% of the crowd there, which was sad. I doubt this place will last. Hopefully some of the new residents will bring in some more business. Dharma's not a bad spot IMO, but I think South End could use more dives and arsty bars...not really the upscale trendy nightclub type of neighborhood.

That sucks about AA, although substantial rumors have been floating around on here about the possibility for quite awhile. I have made a point of shopping there more than the SP location. While it's a chain the vibe melded well with the block. And the walkable storefront retail typified by them and the neighboring indies is what we desperately need more of, not less.

Re: Dharma, I remember saying something similar about 1300 Southend Tavern a good long while ago, and it's still ticking along. Dharma has only just opened, it might take some time to find their footing.

Another noteworthy change: the water tower recently got a fresh coat of paint and new branding. It now sports a "Design Center of the Carolinas" logo.

Yessir, Concentric Marketing is doing some extensive branding in the area, and soon they will start marketing a 20 floor hotel/apartment building with groundlevel retail. I am not sure but I think this is the tower we saw renderings of a few months back with the 50s style modernist hotel included.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed on a trip to Lowe's this past weekend that the corner space, which used to have an "Outdoor Living Center" sign on it had that sign replaced with a generic "Lowe's" sign. You could see the outline of the old sign on the building, even though it never got used. Also, the windows were plastered with Lowe's signs (similar to the way the windows at the Metropolitan's unoccupied spaced are).

This is probably a question for Conformity - Is Lowe's still planning on using this space or did they decide to keep everything in the main store? Will it be for lease as a separate retail store?

I noticed on a trip to Lowe's this past weekend that the corner space, which used to have an "Outdoor Living Center" sign on it had that sign replaced with a generic "Lowe's" sign. You could see the outline of the old sign on the building, even though it never got used. Also, the windows were plastered with Lowe's signs (similar to the way the windows at the Metropolitan's unoccupied spaced are).

This is probably a question for Conformity - Is Lowe's still planning on using this space or did they decide to keep everything in the main store? Will it be for lease as a separate retail store?

Lowes is currently keeping straw and other 'ready to load" landscape items in the building. Because of this the building has its own population of snakes (two have caught me by surprise while loading up).

On a brighter note, the lower parking lot appears to be much fuller lately.

They are still kicking around ideas. After designing the building as one of the parking "screening" tools, their operations and inventory control folks decided they weren't happy with the idea of having a cash register and product out there. Their entitlements allow them to lease it to a 3rd party, but they are not terribly anxious to do that either. Biding their time. The store is doing better all the time. The lot is more and more full all the time. At Southborough, we've sold 5 units in the last 8 weeks and continue to show regularly and enjoy great traffic.

Re: Dharma, I remember saying something similar about 1300 Southend Tavern a good long while ago, and it's still ticking along. Dharma has only just opened, it might take some time to find their footing.

Dharma is one of our favorite spots -- we can easily walk there, it's 3 blocks from our house. They've been steadily getting busier. Le Freq on Wednesdays had a good late crowd and there is a big crowd last night as well. Not packed, but steadily getting busier. I really like that it's there - southend has really become quite an entertainment hub, IMO, rivaling uptown and NCMF but with more organic and locally owned and run places.

Amos' for live music, Dharma for a dance club, good ol' bar Gin Mill, Tavern on the Tracks sports bar, Common Market whatever laid-back, coming soon On The Roxx lounge and martini bar, Apostrophie Lounge, Tutto Mundo, Liberty Diner, probably more that I'm forgetting.

but I think South End could use more dives and arsty bars...not really the upscale trendy nightclub type of neighborhood.

I don't think that is what the club is, or what it is trying to be. The crowd is really more of the same crowd as Common Market, the guys from Black Sheep and Niche. The Dj's often play rock music, and a lot of them live in Wilmore and Southend. It is really an interesting mix of people, but definitely not "upscale" or "trendy" (unless that is currently trendy). It really is kinda artsy.

They are having a really fun party tonight with n'hood Dj's

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pretty bad quality pic but I just love the vide that Camden is taking on. I grabbed some late lunch/ early dinner at Phat Burrito today and shot this pic of the skaters hanging out.

Recently I put together a couple 'photo tours' for my websites about the area -- thought I'd post them here. Like yours, these are snapshots and intended to be so about life, buildings, people, and development in South End and Wilmore. I took most of these but some were sent to me by friends and neighbors as well. I've been really happy about how the neighborhood has been developing, especially that it's been keeping a unique and fun vibe.

http://www.southendcharlotte.com/southend_photo_tour

http://www.liveinwilmore.com/life_in_wilmore_-_photos

We are about to be making a move within the neighborhood to a pair of bungalows on S. Tryon zoned business -- one will be our home, the other will be my partner Joey's business (a salon). We'll also have a vacant lot for a total of just under a half an acre total. The lot will his parking, our parking, and a huge veggie garden - we are fencing the back of all three lots in together since the salon doesn't need a back yard and we'll not need a driveway any longer to the back of our yard! A little urban farm in the heart of South End!

• 2 months later...

Don't forget: Pecha Kucha Vol. 5 this Thursday

Where: Dharma Lounge, 1440 South Tryon, Ste. 105, Charlotte, 28203

When: Thursday, April 8. Starts at 7:30 PM. Doors open at 7:00 PM..

Cover: $5 - Cash Please

There will also be a cash bar where credits cards are accepted and The Common Market will be selling light food & snacks.

The Presentations

Volume 5 will feature 10 exceptional presentations that will cover a range of topics from eco-design to Brazilian wrestling and features unique music and dance performances created specially for the evening.

The presenters:

1. Austin Ballard and Paige Cochran

2. Jeff Cravotta

3. “El Negrito”

4. Valaida Fullwood

5. Paul Gibson

6. Jack Kirven & Annie Vereen

7. Kym Motley

8. Nikki Mueller

9. Bradley Kirk Turnage

10. D. I. von Briesen

(The presenters are listed alphabetically – this won’t be the actual order of presentations)

The MC’s for Volume 5 would be Carrie Gault and Mitchell Kearney.

Getting There and Parking

Dharma Lounge has some parking besides it and across the street, look for their signs. There is also on-street parking on Summit & Camden Streets. However, it is a very accessible location – so we encourage you to car pool/bike/walk/take the light rail, it is just one block from the Bland Street Station. Let us try save some effort, space, gas, the environment!

The Team

As always, all point8 events happen thanks to the voluntary effort and hard work of a few dedicated individuals. The team for PK v.5 includes:

Neil Allen, Becca Bellamy, Andrea Brown, Gerry Derksen, Faron Franks, Valaida Fullwood, Carrie Gault, Sarah Gay, Michael Gayk, Sarah Hada, Susan Jedrzejewski, Mitchell Kearney, Manoj Kesavan, Andrew Maier, Ellen Penninger, Justin Ruckman, Matthew Stover, Michael Southard, Douglas Welton and Iris Williamson.

More info...

Questions? Got an idea? Ask a panelist: [email protected]

Join us on: Facebook

Follow us on: Twitter