Southend Living

an Amalie's branch in the Charlotte Post building (unfortunately I have no information suggesting they want to leave) plus a 'diveish' bar nearby (perhaps the former Zoe's space fronting the LRT) would really put Southend over the top.

Ahhh, to dream.

(and maybe an artsyfartsy small movie theater while we are at it...)

• 2 weeks later...

reliable gossip says that the Southend tailgate market will relocate to an indoor slot at Atherton Mill.

I hope this happens. A larger, regular market along the LRT would be a huge asset to the city.

As forecast:

Charlotte’s Atherton Mill adds fresh market...

...The market will initially be open from 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays. It will expand its hours at a later date....

http://charlotte.biz...20&ana=e_du_pub

Edited by kermit

I noticed what looked like upfit construction going on at the building on the corner of West Blvd & Tryon, across Tryon from Bojangles', where a fried chicken place used to be a few years ago. Anyone know what's going to be there?

On another note, American Apparel repainted recently...it's white now. At first, I thought this might be a sign that they are staying, but unfortunately the "For Lease" sign is still up.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Ice House (the old Southend Brewery / Woods) is coming along nicely. Workers have been there every day lately, and there is finally something to show for it outside. I hope the inside is coming along nicely as well!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tD0ZoBIUXfLbCb2vyDxTkg?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mcKIRQek8Ckq1E19XBk2pA?feat=directlink

Edit: Sorry, I tried to embed these pics, but I was unable to.

Edited by ScottCLT

I'm so stoked about this market... My wife and I will be able to walk to it! It opens on May 15th!

Hey, just a reminder, tomorrow is (soft) opening day for the new Atherton Market - full disclosure, my partner is the manager of the Market. Even out of the gate, I think it's going to be a great market that gets better as time goes on (so keep coming and supporting it). The space has received an extensive upfit and I think it will knock your socks off. The outside treatment will happen eventually and I will say I like the Icehouse's branding so who knows. :whistling:

I also wanted to add that the developer of the Atherton Mill, Edens and Avant has done an amazing job on making this Market happen in this this space and not just invested in the project making it incredible but also allowing the Market to stay true to its fresh and local roots. You won't find any bananas but you will find what will hopefully become Charlotte's first "city market."

www.facebook.com/athertonmillandmarket

Here's the blurb about the opening:

Charlotte residents now have a new venue for fresh local food, produce and other goods with the opening of Atherton Market on Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 9 am. Join us for the soft opening, featuring music by Mike Strauss and Friends.

Located in the former Charlotte Trolley Barn adjacent to the corner of South Boulevard and Tremont Avenue in the Historic South End (2104 South Blvd.), Atherton Market promises to showcase the best of local products and to become a gathering place for Charlotte's diverse Uptown communities and surrounding neighborhoods. Initially open on Tuesdays from 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Atherton Market will soon add additional market days as well as a growing calendar of special events and programming - including a family-friendly grand opening celebration on Saturday, June 12.

For more information about Atherton Market, visit www.facebook.com/athertonmillandmarket.

24849_109466912422480_108726505829854_72846_1186783_n.jpg

Edited by davidclt

When I biked by the other day I was really impressed with the work that I could see. I'll definitely swing by there tomorrow. Would like to get some bread and 'maters (and honey if its there).

It's a bit early in the season for 'maters if that matters (honey too unless somebody's willing to share from last summer's stash). Strawberries are in season right now.

Regardless, looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow and in the coming weeks (and months and years).

I figured out what the building across Tryon St. from Bojangles will be - a restaurant called "Sauceman's". I saw this description in a flyer from Center City Partners...

Sauceman’s, and American grill café, is making plans to open in South End at the corner of Tryon and West Boulevard. Owner Adam Rappaport is completing renovations on the building through the summer and anticipates a September opening.
Edited by ScottCLT

I'm not sure if this technically fits "South End", but has anyone been to the Olde Mecklenburg Brewery off South Blvd? Man, I love that place. It's off the beaten path, but I'm a big fan of their beer (the Copper Ale is my fav, and I like their Oktoberfest, called Mecktoberfest). Most bars/restaurants in the metro area carry at least one or two of their beers on tap. If you want some for home consumption, you can buy refillable growlers at the brewery or Common Market. What I like is that they've grown over the last year from just word of mouth, almost no advertising. I believe they now have a beer garden at the Knights stadium this season. I talked to a lady that works there and they are working on trying to sign deals to serve at BofA Stadium and TWC Arena. Would love to see them grow their presense in the southeast at some point, much like Sweetwater now has a pretty loyal following.

I went by the new Atherton Mill Market on Saturday... Needless to say my wife and I dropped some serious cash. We picked up fish, desserts, bread and some of the premade meals they had there. We got the Triggerfish and grilled it over the weekend. First time I ever had that fish and can say we both loved it. Duke's bakery had some great bread and the desserts we got (some cheesecakes) were awesome. Will definitely be going back there. We went there at around 11:30 and it was pretty busy, both inside and outside. I can definitely see this market taking off once more vendors are added (they are maybe only using 60-70% of the space now). The only thing that it lacked was a good selection of veggies and fruit, which is something I'd expect to see from a city market. I could also see someone else capitalizing on the foot traffic here. Icehouse will definitely add to it. It wouldn't be a bad idea to add some music outside as well...

I went by the new Atherton Mill Market on Saturday... Needless to say my wife and I dropped some serious cash. We picked up fish, desserts, bread and some of the premade meals they had there. We got the Triggerfish and grilled it over the weekend. First time I ever had that fish and can say we both loved it. Duke's bakery had some great bread and the desserts we got (some cheesecakes) were awesome. Will definitely be going back there. We went there at around 11:30 and it was pretty busy, both inside and outside. I can definitely see this market taking off once more vendors are added (they are maybe only using 60-70% of the space now). The only thing that it lacked was a good selection of veggies and fruit, which is something I'd expect to see from a city market. I could also see someone else capitalizing on the foot traffic here. Icehouse will definitely add to it. It wouldn't be a bad idea to add some music outside as well...

Thanks for coming out! Glad you enjoyed your visit; I probably saw you there. As the season progresses, there will be more (seasonal, local) produce sold by the farmers that grew it. As more farms begin growing year-round and as the market for locally produced produce grows, the Market too will grow. It is still a learning phase for this project, some farms are ramping up production and the Market itself is still in a soft open. June 12th is the official Grand Opening and it would be great to see Urban Planeteers there (I have long hair and a kid hanging off of me usually so say, "hi"). For the soft opening on the 15th of May, Mike Strauss and Friends played and will be returning for the Grand Opening. There are plans to have live music every few weeks and a background music system is going in in the next few weeks as well and other community events in hours when the Market isn't in operation with farms.

The Atherton Market is also open on Tuesdays from 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and if Tuesdays get good customer support another weekday will be added soon (hint! hint!). Some of the same vendors are there on Tuesday and Saturday, but Tuesdays mostly have a different line up of farms and protein (the bakers and a few other hit both days). Let me know if you have any other quesitons, feedback or ideas, I have an in with the Market Manager :D .

Edited by davidclt

Yeah, I'm holding out hope for a couple of decent greenhouse tomatoes though :)

I have it on fairly good authority that there will be amazing greenhouse tomatoes at the Tuesday Atherton Market (that's tomorrow which is almost here as I I write this). I also hear from a busy bee that local honey will be available in the next two or three weeks at the market and more tomatoes are just around the corner as well.

Loving the new Atherton Market. The space is absolutely perfect for it and I've got a feeling that we're looking at a new South End stalwart. You can sense the potential as soon as you walk in!

Anyway, on one of the other threads (the "wish list thread") I submitted "South End finally gets a grocery store". I think we'll soon be able to cross that item off the list as Atherton Market gradually fills out.

FYI, my fiance and I started our Atherton Market diet this week -- loading up on groceries and Tuesday and Saturday and finally eating more healthy foods!

So, it looks like Bang & Olufsen has decided to make SouthEnd its home instead of Founder's Hall. I walked by 1700 Camden Road today (in between Park & East/West Blvd.) and one of the stores had Bang & Olufsen "coming soon" posters covering the entire windows and doors. I actually think this might work a bit better in this spot than in Founders Hall - being near the Design Center and all the high-end kitchen/living/decor shops. I've always admired B&O stuff more for its design over its high fidelity.

its a biker bar almost identical to mac's.

That's actually not really the case. There will definitely be menu overlap such as BBQ, ribs and some of the sides, but Icehouse will be a bit more high-end, for lack of a better term. Very dark hardwoods throughout, backrests on the barstools, skylight canopy over the patio and a bad a$$ private dining room upstairs. Like Mac's, there will be plenty of TVs, as well as a couple pool tables and video games in the upstairs area near the private dining room. They aren't sparing much expense on the build out, that's for sure.

The menu will also have everything from steaks to wood-fired pizzas, pastas, etc. so again, not so much high-end but definitely not just like Mac's either. The Icehouse trademark will be that they're using the Brewery's bar which runs about 50' along the left wall (if you're coming into the main entry doors), then adding a clear ice chest/cooler which will have around 200 bottled beers in it. The thought is, patrons standing at the bar will be able to see into the cooler at all the beers on ice, the bartender gets your order, pulls the beer out of the cooler and sets it on the bar in front of you with ice running down the side of the bottle.....hence the name. The neon blue lights on their sign package are really cool too and in keeping with the ice theme.

Check out some interior photos and sign photos on their facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ICEHOUSE-Southend/102297999805469?v=wall

I am STOKED that JD is opening up a new concept of his in this space (though I'm bumming Las Ramblas closed), the place is going to be awesome! They're training their staff currently, so the restaurant should be opening in the next several days I would think.

Edited by 3rdParty

There were gun toting parking lot robberies at Sullivans and Greek Isles on Friday night. A carjacking occurred at Amos this past winter and Phat Burrito has been robbed a few times. Do you feel safe in Southend? Never felt particuarly alarmed myself. Crime happens all over this city. Similar incidents in Plaza Midwood resulted in better lighting and stepped up police patrols. It's always a good idea to travel in groups especially later in the evening leaving bars.

Was in American Apparel this week and they told me that sidewalk rummage sales are coming soon. They had a few last year but apparently will have many more this summer. You can get shirts and more for under $20.

Edited by Forrest

Icehouse Southend is now open... I haven't been by yet but I'm very anxious to check this place out as I can walk to it :) They are open daily starting at 5pm according to their Facebook page. I suspect they will change their hours once they get going.

So, it looks like Bang & Olufsen has decided to make SouthEnd its home instead of Founder's Hall. I walked by 1700 Camden Road today (in between Park & East/West Blvd.) and one of the stores had Bang & Olufsen "coming soon" posters covering the entire windows and doors. I actually think this might work a bit better in this spot than in Founders Hall - being near the Design Center and all the high-end kitchen/living/decor shops. I've always admired B&O stuff more for its design over its high fidelity.

I can't figure out how to react to this news. Southend is definitely struggling to find the right mix of retail and restaurants right now. I reckon this could either be a complete disaster, or it could lead to a new renaissance in Southend being the "design district" of the city.