Southend Living

Everytime I've been by American Apparel there's hardly anyone in there. I was wondering how they were surviving as well. My wife and I went in there after eating lunch at Common Market a few weekends ago. She was looking for some clothes, took one look at the prices and we walked right out. We'd both like to spend our $ there, especially considering it's "American" made. But yea, at $20 a pop for t-shirts, no thanks.

I like AA and shop there quite often. Although it feels weird sometimes since I am usually the only one or maybe there is one other shopper. The prices are higher but I was converted by the quality of the clothes. I live in AA shirts most days. They pay good wages to their factory workers in the country and they are bluntly supportive of LGBT rights. The attitude of the employees can be a bit much but in general they seem cool to me. Anyone can have a bad day. American Apparel aside, that space is definitely a key component to the small but sorely needed sidewalk retail vibe so lacking in most of Charlotte. If they end up closing hopefully another retailer comes in and fits the area's personality.

Edited by Forrest

• 2 weeks later...

I was hypothesizing that those buildings were subject to the new vacant building upkeep rules passed last year - the same rules that are getting buildings along Independence removed. Just a guess.

I believe you are correct. This is right down the road from me and I noticed it the other day as well. My first thought was the building upkeep laws that the city was enforcing. Kind of a good thing because those were pretty unsightly. Would be nice if something was built there too.

• 3 weeks later...

^ I saw a sign for a place called Deja Vu when I passed by there, and assumed it was for the Tutto's space.

However the place I heard about was talked about as much more of a dance club and would probably warrant a larger space than that. The name sounded like Meringue but I don't know if it was spelled that way. Again this is not from the most reliable source.

^ ok, update, the name sounds like "Mare-in-ee" but I have no idea how it's spelled so still can't find anything online. It is the large end-unit of the strip housing Dharma Lounge on Summit (the side farthest from Tryon). I passed by there this morning and there is indeed work going on in the space and some old streetlamp-style lights have been installed on the building's front.

Thanks for the update! What I heard a ways back is a gay bar called "Napoleon's Exile somewhere around Camden. Could be the further iteration of the same project. Glad they changed the name but have to confess that the theme sounds a little cheesball to me. Also good that it's not going where AA is now. Better to cluster the already successful Dharma, Apostrophe, and this place together. And hopefully another retailer will take over the American Apparel space and keep that block stable for shopping. Niche is going to reopen soon...... in Oct. New owner is going to keep what is popular and expand their selections more broadly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spenzac (contemporary furniture/accessories store) is moving once again - they didn't stay in the old Bee Man spot at the corner of Summit and Tryon for long. I don't know for sure, but I just have a feeling that they will be moving into the Furniture Liquidators building when they close for good.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a "Financing by Wachovia" Sign in front of the old restuarant building beside the autobell in South End. Does anyone know what could be going on there?

I heard a semi-reliable source say that the Canon Drugstore (in Sedgefield shopping center) will move there and set up a (primarily) drive-through pharmacy. They will move out of Sedgefield SC.

I can't say this is news that gets me excited about Southend.

• 3 weeks later...

Was in American Apparel today and inquired about their moving out date, since last I heard the lease was up this winter. An employee claimed they were staying put. Who knows if management really clues in the retail staff.

Or maybe they have a stock answer. Given AA's general turmoil closing this slow location makes sense.

In the end I hope they stay on Camden, their stuff is not everyone's cup of tea but they help the energy on the block stay mixed and less dominated by the suit and tie crowd. I love CM's Southend patio but it's often overrun by business meetings during the weekday. More chilled out at night.

Creative Loafing had an article on Taco Mac last week (?). It said that they are looking to open two or three more Charlotte locations. They would be a really good fit in the empty Jillian's space -- such a site would be more consistent with their Atlanta location strategy than Piedmont Town center.

Just blueskying here...