Southend Living

Creative Loafing had an article on Taco Mac last week (?). It said that they are looking to open two or three more Charlotte locations. They would be a really good fit in the empty Jillian's space -- such a site would be more consistent with their Atlanta location strategy than Piedmont Town center.

Just blueskying here...

Jillian's closed? I live 2 blocks away and didn't even realize that...

How does Jillians close? With the light rail there, and all the new residents in the area. I don't see how Jillians goes under. All I can figure is the loss of visibility on south blvd after the construction of circle southend. Does anyone know how greek isles is doing? Jillians was always a one of a kind place with tons of business. That totally sucks. Then again I haven't lived in Charlotte in 3 years...

How does Jillians close? With the light rail there, and all the new residents in the area. I don't see how Jillians goes under. All I can figure is the loss of visibility on south blvd after the construction of circle southend. Does anyone know how greek isles is doing? Jillians was always a one of a kind place with tons of business. That totally sucks. Then again I haven't lived in Charlotte in 3 years...

I had heard that they were doing a poor job with interior maintenance (e.g. the games were more often broken than working) and just generally let the place go. Sounded like more of a management than location issue. That is all second had information so take it for what it is worth.

Creative Loafing had an article on Taco Mac last week (?). It said that they are looking to open two or three more Charlotte locations. They would be a really good fit in the empty Jillian's space -- such a site would be more consistent with their Atlanta location strategy than Piedmont Town center.

Just blueskying here...

I like this idea of a TacoMac, that could do well. I have also considered the possibility of a Whole Foods in this space, it is certainly large enough for a grocery store. My apartment overlooks Jillian's and there has been some minor activity inside over the past few days. It may just be some minor clean-up of the inside although I have not seen any activity in it since they closed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this technically fits "South End", but has anyone been to the Olde Mecklenburg Brewery off South Blvd? Man, I love that place. It's off the beaten path, but I'm a big fan of their beer (the Copper Ale is my fav, and I like their Oktoberfest, called Mecktoberfest). Most bars/restaurants in the metro area carry at least one or two of their beers on tap. If you want some for home consumption, you can buy refillable growlers at the brewery or Common Market. What I like is that they've grown over the last year from just word of mouth, almost no advertising. I believe they now have a beer garden at the Knights stadium this season. I talked to a lady that works there and they are working on trying to sign deals to serve at BofA Stadium and TWC Arena. Would love to see them grow their presense in the southeast at some point, much like Sweetwater now has a pretty loyal following.

Good news for Olde Meck Brewery. They are doubling their space and nearly doubling their output. Expect to see bottles of Olde Meck soon.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2011/01/14/Olde-Mecklenburg-brews-plans-expansion.html

Good news for Olde Meck Brewery. They are doubling their space and nearly doubling their output. Expect to see bottles of Olde Meck soon.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2011/01/14/Olde-Mecklenburg-brews-plans-expansion.html

I'm really excited about this... In just two years the OMB beers have exploded in the Charlotte area. It looks like they are targeting having bottles in grocery stores by summer time. Needless to say I will be stocking up, though I'll still head over to the brewery every now and again too.

• 3 weeks later...

Cannon pharmacy has opened in the old Mantis space on South across from Atherton st. The drive through setup is not particularly pedestrian friendly but I supose it is an improvement over what was there (an empty building).

Their spot in Sedgefield shopping center (just down from Home Economist) is now empty.

Shrug.....

Despite the significantly less 'pubish' architecture Big Ben appears to be doing very well in Atherton Mill. It appears to be crowded every night (its often tough to find space at the bar) and occasionally has live music.

Its a great addition to the neighborhood but I kinda miss the carpet / fireplace / soccer of the old place (even if it was a drive).

I went into the Olde Meck Brewery over the weekend to stock up on some beer for the Super Bowl and noticed they've done some upgrades on the inside already. New bar and they now have beer taps for all their brews at the bar as well. It's been a few months since I was last in there but something about the place seemed brighter and fresher. Couldn't tell what it was, and it may be just new lighting fixtures for all I know. Also noticed that they've started doing some more events there to draw people in as well, including live music and beer/cigar nights. One other thing, it was funny how I pulled up right at noon (when they open) and people were already lining up to get in so they could have their growlers filled.

In one of my louder "uhg" moments of the still-young 2011, I saw the "coming soon" sign at the old Jillian's location. It is not, as speculated, going to be Taco Mac. It will be "Lux," which looks remarkably like yet another $*%&! salon.

Thanks for the update! (no shooting of the messenger here)

IMO salon's are worse for the urban fabric than fast food places. They generate such little traffic that they should be relegated to upstairs spaces.

Edited by kermit

In one of my louder "uhg" moments of the still-young 2011, I saw the "coming soon" sign at the old Jillian's location. It is not, as speculated, going to be Taco Mac. It will be "Lux," which looks remarkably like yet another $*%&! salon.

is it definitely the whole Gillian's space? that would be a HUGE salon. The last time I drove by I noticed paper on only some of the windows, closer to Greek Isles, but it was just a glance.