Southend Living

I stand corrected. Lux appears to be a club. http://luxcharlotte.com/

I guess that's better, but I really don't want this to become a nightlife district per se. Judging from that holding page this one is also way out of character for the area whereas Dharma and Marigny seem much more appropriate and in-tune with the neighborhood as far as clubs go. Anyway I would much rather have a restaurant, bar or store in that spot than a club.

Also...whats it going to take to get a coffee shop in Southend? It seems like it would be wildly popular. That lightrail-side space at the Circle would be perfect.

Another club is disappointing. The area along the tracks is destined to be a party zone so Lux will fit in to it's surroundings.

There seems to be a tipping point approaching with so many bar/clubs and salons. These are all silo destinations and don't contribute to the urban retail enviro and street life. During the day the clubs are lifeless and salons are not much better.

CCP markets Southend as a zone focused on mixed use but bars seem to be the dominating influence.

Maybe it's just what sells in today's economy.

Just don't want the area to morph into an extension of Uptown's scene.

The alt laid back vibe is not gone yet but it's not looking good right now.

I really hope they don't move down onto Camden and put bars along there.

Leave a little something resembling an actual neighborhood.

The warehouse building on Remount between South and the Blue Line is seeing some renovation activity. Any bets that it's another salon?

Its has been redone into what appears to be three separate retail spaces -- big for lease sign on the front. I am surprised to see a speculative project at the moment.

Taco Mac in Jillians speculation.....

The business journal reported that the two new Taco Macs are in the University area and in Huntersville. The owner suggested two more locations in Charlotte in "the next couple of years"

Too bad, that would have been a very nice use for that space.

EDIT: I'll return to my weekly plea for a hip, sit-down sub $10 entree (NON SUSHI!!!!!) restaurant in an upstairs space on Camden. A branch of the Rockford (Glenwood South) in Raleigh would be ideal. I would spend tons of cash there.....

Edited by kermit

Thanks for the update! (no shooting of the messenger here)

IMO salon's are worse for the urban fabric than fast food places. They generate such little traffic that they should be relegated to upstairs spaces.

Wow....

I agree we have had many salons open in this neighborhood recently. I am actually one of those people ruining the fabric of south end, I guess. Maybe some of these salons have actually helped in some way? We'll play six degrees of Kevin Bacon for the 1500th block of Camden alone.

Salon-Open over 10 years, changed ownership 3 years ago. Half of the staff had been here under the previous ownership, including myself.

Black Sheep- Thriving business, the owners significant other of many years works at that salon.

The living Room-Another unique South end business, which has been here for many years. His wife worked at that original salon for many years. She now owns one of the best/successful salons in Charlotte, also located in our neighborhood.

Phat Burrito-Moved over to this block many years ago. In my opinion, this block is what it is because of them.

Niche- One of the owners is a hairdresser at the salon.

American Apparel

Ciel gallery- Although not retail or service, she does teach classes. The owner has been a client of many years. After coming over here for so long, decided to open a gallery.

We have a lot of other cool businesses as well. These however, are the retail, food, and service businesses on this little tiny block. It's truly a family over here. We look out for each other, and I've never had this sense of community anywhere. I've lived in plenty of different cities, towns and countries that I can compare it to. I have so much respect for the people who came over here first, they truly created something unique.

I live in this neighborhood, and rarely have to leave it. Probably 80% of the money I spend, is spent right here. Other salon owners and employees in this neighborhood do the same. I have the utmost respect for some of the salons over here, and am happy they are my neighbors. They are some of the most talented people I know, and bring as much to this community as anybody else. As the economy improves, we will see other types of businesses move to the area, and see the amount of salons level out over time. For now at least, we can be happy our storefronts are not empty, the houses aren't boarded up, and people are spending their money here. If you feel like the fabric of the neighborhood is being ruined and you can do better, open a business. We'd be more than happy to have you, and support you.

Edited by joshuas

Its has been redone into what appears to be three separate retail spaces -- big for lease sign on the front. I am surprised to see a speculative project at the moment.

The business journal reported that the two new Taco Macs are in the University area and in Huntersville. The owner suggested two more locations in Charlotte in "the next couple of years"

Too bad, that would have been a very nice use for that space.

EDIT: I'll return to my weekly plea for a hip, sit-down sub $10 entree (NON SUSHI!!!!!) restaurant in an upstairs space on Camden. A branch of the Rockford (Glenwood South) in Raleigh would be ideal. I would spend tons of cash there.....

There is a perfect spot above Niche, Right at the corner of Camden and Tryon. It may be the coolest spot in town for such a place, with a direct view of downtown. It would take somebody with deep pockets and some vision. The space is in need of a complete upfit, as it hasn't been occupied in a very very long time.

If you have an idea for what you'd like to see, I'll be happy to pass it on to the owner of that Remount space. He'd love to hear what people want in their neighborhood. He's active in this community, and has a real interest in what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed last week that the "For Lease" signs were taken down at American Apparel. I wonder if they are thinking about staying in that spot now? Or if someone else actually leased it, meaning that AA will be probably be gone soon.

American Apparel is now staying in south end. They were trying to find someone to lease the space.. I believe their original lease was actually up this year, so they must have done extremely well considering they had an out.

That's good news. Surprising. I have never shopped there with more than two other customers. And AA has been thisclose to

bankruptcy for awhile.

The camden layout is nice though, sp's is so cramped. The pants and jeans are ridonkolously overpriced

Basic tees are worth it to me though, they last awhile.

• 9 months later...

The Rudinos pizza space in Atherton mill has been gutted. A banner in front says "Zucco Pizza Tavern: Pizza, Sports and Craft Beer" (I may be wrong about the name).

On a related note, the wine store beside Rudinos (hidden up against the tracks) has a remarkable selection (according to a friend who knows about wine).

The Rudinos pizza space in Atherton mill has been gutted. A banner in front says "Zucco Pizza Tavern: Pizza, Sports and Craft Beer" (I may be wrong about the name).

On a related note, the wine store beside Rudinos (hidden up against the tracks) has a remarkable selection (according to a friend who knows about wine).

I didn't even realize Rudino's closed. Not surprised, though. The place was usually empty and when i actually thought about going there, I walked up and they were closed. I used to order pizza from Rudino's all the time while hanging out at the Gin Mill, but that was 10 years ago and I dont think they have kept the same hours.

Anyway, looking forward to a new restaurant in the neighborhood.

In disappointing but mostly perplexing Southend retail news, the small space next to the gallery on Camden across from CM is now a cellphone repair shop.

With so many new residents in Southend with all the apartment complexes, I really thought that decent retail (i.e. more places like Blacksheep, Niche, Canine Cafe, Boulevard) would pick up. Instead Canine Cafe moved out and office space is taking that building over. And Boulevard is a good addition - cool stuff and run by great folks. But Boulevard alone can't make Southend a retail destination.

I really think we are in a chicken or egg scenario here:

Why aren't the residents of Southend out walking up and down Camden all the time? Because there is not a lot of selection of shopping there, and unless you just want to walk - not much of a reason (except for Common Market) to walk down Camden every day.

Why are retailers not moving in and opening new stores in Southend? Because people aren't out and about every day strolling the streets.

I thought one big retailer would start the trend, but American Apparel didn't do much for the neighborhood and then moved out (and unfortunately their successors left half of the AA sign there, which to me looks like a slap in the face for southend every time I pass by it - "hey, we used to have real retail, but now we have a fabric remnant store that was too lazy to remove the entire sign!).

What do you think it will take to get a real retail vibe (hopefully a gritty and home grown one!) in Southend? How many years away are we?

I think this has been reported here before but today's CBJ is reporting that Triple C Brewing company has leased 20,000 sq ft on Griffith St near the New Bern station. The space will accomdate "a 15-barrel brewing system and a tap room offering four to six beers." (from the table talk section which does not appear to be online).

I think this has been reported here before but today's CBJ is reporting that Triple C Brewing company has leased 20,000 sq ft on Griffith St near the New Bern station. The space will accomdate "a 15-barrel brewing system and a tap room offering four to six beers." (from the table talk section which does not appear to be online).

True, saw this on Facebook a few days ago.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Triple-C-Brewing-Company

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't notice (had to read it in the observer) but it appears that niche market in the flatiron corner at Camden andTryon has shut down. (this is the space adjacent to the old American Apperal)

http://obswhatsinstore.blogspot.com/2012/02/niche-market-location-in-south-end-for.html

I'll choose not to dwell on the poor health of Southend retail and instead say that this space (particularly when combined with the upstairs space) would make an excellent restarauant.

^Well, one retail shop, The Boulevard, recently moved to this area, ironically because of rent getting too high in NoDa. SoBo has also recently opened next to Pewter Rose in the former Tutto Mundo space.

Retail likes to be adjacent to restaurants for their foot traffic. But too many restaurants can ironically threaten street life, as well as price out independent start-ups and diverse uses.

I think it's important to remember Jane Jacobs and her list of ingredients for vibrant streets:

1. Mixed Use (that includes a mixture of commercial uses, not just a mix of residential and commercial)

2. Short Blocks (why we all love this stretch of Camden Road)

3. Buildings of Various Ages and State of Repair (indies and start-ups can much better afford adaptive reuse of old warehouses than glitzy new spaces below luxury apartments)

4. Density (that includes horizontal density of businesses and mixture of 24/7 uses, not just total residential units)

Edited by southslider

Sad but I got that feeling the last few times I was there. Even when it was still busy, I felt like quality, selection and service were taking a steep dive. Also Common Market probably supplanted them.

I hope some other kind of fast takeout place can go in there, like the funky hot dog or burger stands of some other cities. Maybe an ice cream place.