The Medical Mart | CANCELED | What's to go in the old NCC space now?

satalac

there are talks that nashville may get a 1.5 million sq ft medical trade center orginially planned to be built in cleveland, oh. this is about the same size as the proposed convention center. not much is known about it yet, but i'll be trying to find more information as time goes on. i'm pretty excited about this possible project for nashville. it would be the only one of it's kind in the country. you can see a video clip about it on channel 2's website. here is a news story from newsnet5 about the competition that cleveland is getting.

correction: it's not the same one from cleveland, but a competing project. sounds like some of the officials in cleveland aren't too happy about this.....""I'm not terribly worried about the boast and the brag of those from Nashville. If we were building something for the Grand Ole Opry they would have the edge on us. But Nashville is not known as an epicenter for health care as we are," said Cuyahoga County Commissioner Peter Lawson Jones."

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Cleveland is the best place for one of these type expo centers. Mind you, Franklin and Nashville has roughly $24b worth of healthcare companies, not including hospital management companies like Psychiatric Solutions. I think the idea is great, and a center of this type is one that really and truly, nobody in their right minds should complain about having here. Except maybe Cleveland :)

I look forward to having such a facility - it's definitely a unique idea.

Quote from the MCMC website linked above:

"The Nashville Medical Trade Center was announced in May of 2009 as an international trade facility servicing the needs of the global medical community through three components: permanent manufacturer showrooms for healthcare product manufacturers, distributors, and information technology companies; temporary trade show space; and conference facilities to accommodate a full schedule of medical trade events each year. The facility, which could open as early as 2010, will eventually reach 1.5 million square feet."

any guesses on the location?

I don't think Cleveland is the best place for one of these type expo centers. Mind you, Franklin and Nashville has roughly $24b worth of healthcare companies, not including hospital management companies like Psychiatric Solutions. I think the idea is great, and a center of this type is one that really and truly, nobody in their right minds should complain about having here. Except maybe Cleveland :)

I look forward to having such a facility - it's definitely a unique idea.

Quote from the MCMC website linked above:

"The Nashville Medical Trade Center was announced in May of 2009 as an international trade facility servicing the needs of the global medical community through three components: permanent manufacturer showrooms for healthcare product manufacturers, distributors, and information technology companies; temporary trade show space; and conference facilities to accommodate a full schedule of medical trade events each year. The facility, which could open as early as 2010, will eventually reach 1.5 million square feet."

The Cool Springs area would be a great location for this or the junk yard next to the Titan's stadium.

i'd love to see it next to the stadium, but that is waaaay to expensive and won't realistically happen. cool springs has the space, but they are far away from the major hospitals. this is one project that needs to be close to or inside downtown, not just because it'll help with sprawl, but because it makes the most sense.

Will this compete with the MCC? I assume it would.

If they are looking to get this built in a year or so.. im not expecting much. Probably a big box in one of the suburbs.

This link says it will "eventually" reach 1.5 mil sq feet

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090518...er+in+Nashville

I don't think it would necessarily compete with MCC. I think the MCC is trying to gear toward more public events and ones garnered to tourism. This one is going to have permanent onsite needs for the healthcare industry, which I assume will include product, CT Scan, MRI, and a plethora of other med devices that would just get in the way at the MCC. As far as the number of conventions lost, I doubt that many.

I don't think it would necessarily compete with MCC. I think the MCC is trying to gear toward more public events and ones garnered to tourism. This one is going to have permanent onsite needs for the healthcare industry, which I assume will include product, CT Scan, MRI, and a plethora of other med devices that would just get in the way at the MCC. As far as the number of conventions lost, I doubt that many.

Agreed. I am thinking that this facility will be more equivalent to the Merchandise Mart in Chicago, which certainly doesn't compete with the McCormick center. If this goes downtown, it will certainly boost demand for hotels and additional restaurants. I just can't fathom where it could possibly go as early as next year, even including an expansion. Where is there a large vacancy with that much contiguous vacant land?

Where is there a large vacancy with that much contiguous vacant land?

maybe there will be a smaller footprint than we think due to a vertical aspect of it? (pure speculation on MY part, so please nobody take that as the word on the street)

could be near HCA(old chrysler dealership land)...plenty of land in sobro, especially if vertical, land costs won't be that bad considering it's a half billion dollar project...

maybe there will be a smaller footprint than we think due to a vertical aspect of it? (pure speculation on MY part, so please nobody take that as the word on the street)

could be near HCA(old chrysler dealership land)...plenty of land in sobro, especially if vertical, land costs won't be that bad considering it's a half billion dollar project...

By old Chrysler dealership, do you mean Hansen Chrysler on Charlotte & 11th, downtown? If I'm not mistaken, Crosland bought that land from S.E. Automotive after they bought out Hansen last year. At least that's what the salesman at S.E. told us in January..

It might take some show away from the MCC as they will definitly compete for Healthcare but the bottom line is the MCC is built using funds from the hotel/motel tax and it does not matter what facility they choose to use, just that they come and stay in Davidson County.

It might take some show away from the MCC as they will definitly compete for Healthcare but the bottom line is the MCC is built using funds from the hotel/motel tax and it does not matter what facility they choose to use, just that they come and stay in Davidson County.

LOL. So you can build a facility like conention center and make a profit. But you tacitly admit that the MCC will not? IMO to make a profit the MCC would have to not only cover the debt payments it has but also return an additional 6-10%. But it will not because it is city run and is just a boondoggle for construction/hotel/convention people. My goodness everyone I know that knows anything about finance/econ realizes the Mcc is a horrific idea.

LOL. So you can build a facility like conention center and make a profit. But you tacitly admit that the MCC will not? IMO to make a profit the MCC would have to not only cover the debt payments it has but also return an additional 6-10%. But it will not because it is city run and is just a boondoggle for construction/hotel/convention people. My goodness everyone I know that knows anything about finance/econ realizes the Mcc is a horrific idea.

you might want to learn a little more about how the tourism/meetings industry works before you make blanket statements. For example, let's look at the private facility in town. Do you think they could exist with the convention space only? Of course not, the space is the hook to get people to their facility so they book hotel rooms, eat meals, go shopping, etc. on Gaylord property. This is why there are very few private convention facilities around the world and the only ones that exist are attached to VERY large hotels. No facility on earth could ever pay for the cost of building and operations merely on the fees it charges for rental. There are a few facilites that make money but most operate at a small defecit each year. That does not mean that the amount of money generated by these facilities does not more than make up for those costs. The tourism industry in Nashville alone is a 4 billion dollar a year entitiy with 100 million a year generated in taxes. Over 50,000 people have jobs in this market alone directly related to tourism and yes I am one of them. Unfortunately for me most of my work is outside the city because Nashville cannot currently house the majority of meetings that are available to this market. That is what the city is trying to correct. Maybe everyone you now has little knowledge of how this self sustaining industry works.

you might want to learn a little more about how the tourism/meetings industry works before you make blanket statements. For example, let's look at the private facility in town. Do you think they could exist with the convention space only? Of course not, the space is the hook to get people to their facility so they book hotel rooms, eat meals, go shopping, etc. on Gaylord property. This is why there are very few private convention facilities around the world and the only ones that exist are attached to VERY large hotels. No facility on earth could ever pay for the cost of building and operations merely on the fees it charges for rental. There are a few facilites that make money but most operate at a small defecit each year. That does not mean that the amount of money generated by these facilities does not more than make up for those costs. The tourism industry in Nashville alone is a 4 billion dollar a year entitiy with 100 million a year generated in taxes. Over 50,000 people have jobs in this market alone directly related to tourism and yes I am one of them. Unfortunately for me most of my work is outside the city because Nashville cannot currently house the majority of meetings that are available to this market. That is what the city is trying to correct. Maybe everyone you now has little knowledge of how this self sustaining industry works.

What I am pointing out is that it IS possible for it to be done with private capital only. Gaylord is a good example. This is yet another(although my guess is they are seeking some sort of assistance from Metro). But with the MCC we are looking at spending 595 for the center, another 40 or so for parking, and possibly an additional 300 for the hotel. That is a whole load of money. The center will have to bring in many many groups who need to spend lots of money to make it "profitable". Remember, just meeting debt payments doesn't mean the center is in any way shape or form adding economic value to the city. And that's what concerns me.

If this medical center happens, WOW!! It seems Nashville's and the regions biggest industries are medical, music, and banking/finance(?). It would be nice to be a major medical hub because it brings in high tech jobs and will be in high need. The same with music, I love that Nashville has this industry. I wish Nashville could get more high tech jobs, such as aerospace (for me :)) but Huntsville has the edge there. Maybe green technologies could become a major factor in Nashville.

...Maybe green technologies could become a major factor in Nashville.

As a provider/salesman of green IT solutions, I can tell you that some businesses are getting there... mainly the healthcare industry. Companies like Genesco, Suncrest HC, and HCA are using cloud computing solutions to reduce energy consumption and the physical number of servers to run their enterprises. So yes, green is infiltrating, just not quickly enough.

My paycheck says so ;-P

Archived