The Medical Mart | CANCELED | What's to go in the old NCC space now?

satalac

I will be surprised if this project ever breaks ground. They are having an impossible time getting any momentum and the comments from the company regarding Cleveland's center are hilarious. The Nashville center organizers have what 3 groups signed in a year? I mean, that is pathetic by any measure

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be surprised if this project ever breaks ground. They are having an impossible time getting any momentum and the comments from the company regarding Cleveland's center are hilarious. The Nashville center organizers have what 3 groups signed in a year? I mean, that is pathetic by any measure

yes and no... While I agree that it seems to be a slow go here in Nashville the one tenant they do have (HIMMS) is responsible for the largest single meeting in the healthcare industry. I have been to this event 4 times as a vendor for a local company and it really does draw over 25,000 participants and uses over 1.5 million square feet of meeting space. The fact that they have signed a binding lease for 25,000 square feet is actually a bigger deal than anything Cleveland has accomplished with tenants so far. Time will tell and the clock is ticking.

I just want to throw my 2 cents worth in here. These articles explain a little different picture of the Med mart in Cleveland. To summarize quickly, the Cleveland Med Mart tenants are mostly local to the area there and they are still only letters of intent that are not binding. I think the size of their facility and the Nashville facility are 2 differing projects. If you look at the list of conventions that were announced, many have nothing to do with health care. I am very optimistic that the Nashville Med Mart has got a lot of life left in it. Again look at the cost of the Cleveland facility.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2011/01/cleveland-media-review-med-mart-tenant.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2011/01/cleveland-breaks-ground-on-med-mart.html

http://business.nashvillepost.com/2011/01/17/cleveland-med-mart-names-tenants/

• 5 weeks later...

A 4th tenant was announced.. which is actually a showroom called China Pavillion..

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2011/02/nashville-medical-trade-center.html

They need at least 900,000 sq ft leased in order to start construction.. and it needs to start this year. So far they have (i'm confused) either 40,000 or 65,000 sq ft plus the Lipscomb deal, however much that turns out to be.

Are they really going to be able to make this happen in 2011??

You beat me to it Jice. Nice to see another advancement for this project, but....I have a hard time seeing this started this year. However, there are still 10 months left. I won't believe this will happen until I see that construction actually starts. I wonder how they are going to continue holding conventions there (NCC) with construction for the MM beginning and the MCC still unfinished. I guess they can do construction that is not detrimental to conventions until the MCC opens?

You beat me to it Jice. Nice to see another advancement for this project, but....I have a hard time seeing this started this year. However, there are still 10 months left. I won't believe this will happen until I see that construction actually starts. I wonder how they are going to continue holding conventions there (NCC) with construction for the MM beginning and the MCC still unfinished. I guess they can do construction that is not detrimental to conventions until the MCC opens?

They have indeed done testing on the current pylons in the facility and what it will take to do construction efforts in a way as to allow for events to still happen in the building. Fingers crossed that this continues to move forward...

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice! I do wonder how many conventions this will take away from the new MCC? Any? If this is going to open in 2013, they had better get started! I did not see the tower portioned defined however. Is there still going to be a tower?

BR86

If it takes away any they would have to be small. The trade show floor will still be the same size it is now, everything else is built up, not out.

• 3 weeks later...

"According to the Nashville Health Care Council, Nashville currently has 56 local healthcare headquarters generating global employment of approximately 400,000 and revenues upward of $60 billion annually."

Add to that the sometimes (and here) unmentioned names and business entities tied into this, one might be quite amiss in counting it out. Stay tuned.

If Vanderbilt is going to start hosting these meetings in 2013, they need to get started on construction very soon. However they may just use the existing CC space to begin with since it will already be vacant and add the new floors a little later or even while the first events start.

• 2 months later...

A 4000 sq ft lease? I mean, really? Anchor tenant? This project becomes more of a joke in my mind every time these guys open their mouths. At this pace it should be fully leased in 200-300 years

It is an anchor tenant for the 6th floor "health care furniture" area not the entire building. That is a pretty good chunk of real estate to show off your sofa sleepers and chairs...

Producer,

I just dont feel a lease of .267% of the entire building is really noteworthy. And if it is, I think it means they are having significant problems. But call me crazy....

If you take into consideration that almost 50% of the building will be used for things other than leaseable "retail" showrooms then that number gets smaller/bigger however you would like to frame it. Only the floors being added to the existing building will be for lease and portions of those will be used for back of house things. Doesn't mean they don't have their work still cut out for them but achieving a level of 60% of the space available for lease is far less than needing to lease 60% of the entire structure.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Found this on bid clerk last month and it quickly came down after a few people were made aware of it. But this would be the Med mart I would think.

Renovation of and addition to a medical facility in Nashville. Design plans call for the renovation of an already existing convention center and construction of multiple new building to form a medical development ultimately reaching 1.5 million squar...Click here for complete Project Details

est start date 9/12

It is just a fact that it will not start this year.

http://nhcc.atiba.co...Tennessean.aspx

http://www.clevescen...opening-in-2013

A couple of tit for tat articles above

Archived