THE Downtown Market updates

GRDadof3

Does anybody else think it's odd that the three newest concepts/restaurants (Slow's, Social Kitchen and Grand Travers Distillery) aren't based in GR? I'm super excited for Slow's, just as much as next guy but just find it odd. Montello's seems semi-local being from Holland.

Does anybody else think it's odd that the three newest concepts/restaurants (Slow's, Social Kitchen and Grand Travers Distillery) aren't based in GR? I'm super excited for Slow's, just as much as next guy but just find it odd. Montello's seems semi-local being from Holland.

I wouldn't be concerned so much as to where they are from, but is it a quality product, and an appropriate fit for the market.  For example, the soup and spuds place, I think is local, but is it quality and a good fit for the market?  I don't know.  It seems like something you might find at North Kent Mall, if it was still open. 

• Like 1

Here's a theory: out-of-towners don't know the area as well as the locals, and probably are comfortable setting up in a "touristy" destination like the DTM. 

Or maybe the locals don't want to oversaturate? Or aren't in expansion mode? 

I wouldn't be concerned so much as to where they are from, but is it a quality product, and an appropriate fit for the market.  For example, the soup and spuds place, I think is local, but is it quality and a good fit for the market?  I don't know.  It seems like something you might find at North Kent Mall, if it was still open. 

They are catering the TedX even this May (so they have to be decent?) I think their concept fits, I just hope their food is good. I would have preferred a brewery over the Social Kitchen since a brewery is more of the fabric of GR culture and I would think would be at a downtown market, but oh well.

But Slows, they'll be the city's best BBQ in town instantly. I'll make an exception for that really regardless of where they are from.

North Kent Mall!!!!! Dying! :rofl:

Nearby DTM and sticking with the BBQ theme, The "Horseshoe Smokehouse" is getting ready for their opening.  The new restaurant is located in the old Horseshoe Bar building across from the Grand Rapids Ballet on Grandville.  This property is really coming to life after all these years.  Kudos to the owner.

The restaurant ad for employees states: "From scratch kitchen serving classic and modern BBQ." and "This is a fast casual restaurant with limited table service." 

Might be a good food alternative for people going to Founders or looking for a lunch option near downtown.

Nearby DTM and sticking with the BBQ theme, The "Horseshoe Smokehouse" is getting ready for their opening.  The new restaurant is located in the old Horseshoe Bar building across from the Grand Rapids Ballet on Grandville.  This property is really coming to life after all these years.  Kudos to the owner.

The restaurant ad for employees states: "From scratch kitchen serving classic and modern BBQ." and "This is a fast casual restaurant with limited table service." 

Might be a good food alternative for people going to Founders or looking for a lunch option near downtown.

That's awesome. I actually thought that'd be a great spot for Slow's, so it's interesting that a BBQ place is going in there. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice!

They're going to town on Slow's now. I saw them loading in a bunch of drywall today. 

I wonder if they're waiting until weather gets warmer to start on the other restaurant?  So that displaced diners can go out to the outdoor patios? 

Any idea where the Pretzel place is going, inside the market?

Also, does anyone know who owns the empty lot east of the market?

Seems like a valuable piece of land?  Wonder what will eventually go there?

Spectrum Industries owns it. Nothing will go there unless they decide to sell it. 

Spectrum Industries owns it. Nothing will go there unless they decide to sell it. 

It's interesting, because the 2011 Google street view shows at least a portion of that huge empty lot for sale.  The sign says it was renaissance zoned.  Did Spectrum buy the property, or were they trying to sell it at the time?   I picture that lot with two residential building wings starting at Ionia, one along McConnell, and another along Logan, with a kind of Nickels Arcade down the middle with shops and restaurants. The back half of the property toward Division would have a parking garage.  

Also interesting that the pretzel folks made it a point to come from Ohio to check out the market, and have decided to add a post there.  I know there were a few vendor spots still open on the Ionia side of the building south of the crepe spot.  Hope it works out for them.  I still would like to see a GB Russo type vendor, but they are running out of space!

Edited by mpchicago

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Stopped by the Downtown Market today, vintage market was going on. The inside (didn't get pics) was packed. Have never seen it wall-to-wall people like that. 

Here are pics of the outside vintage market.

19021151943_8d54fb5ed2_b.jpg

19454085228_ce4f2e1feb_b.jpg

19021168873_b2106f1f0d_b.jpg

19454124000_bd24023f50_b.jpg

19455521079_ab20559627_b.jpg

19455524329_b3db033d11_b.jpg

Slows outdoor seating!

19635061842_1abb0020eb_b.jpg

Slows inside (through the window):

19021157303_01635982ff_b.jpg

The backside of Klingman's Lofts looks really cool, had to take a shot:

19635086722_57fb2faa04_b.jpg

• Like 2

It was incredible! I was there around 11AM and it was totally packed. Both inside and out. Certainly didnt hurt that this was by far the best weather for the market all season either. It put us in the buying mood shopping in both parts.

But my favorite part was going back to the car and seeing this river of people streaming to the market from DT and in the other direction too! It was one of those "this looks a big city" moments. It almost felt like we were in a different town! Just imagine when the area has steady retail and more residences. Today could be the norm for this part of town.

They should really have the market every Sunday, and give it even more space. It's a proven booster for traffic, and just puts everyone in a great mood.

• Like 1

It was incredible! I was there around 11AM and it was totally packed. Both inside and out. Certainly didnt hurt that this was by far the best weather for the market all season either. It put us in the buying mood shopping in both parts.

But my favorite part was going back to the car and seeing this river of people streaming to the market from DT and in the other direction too! It was one of those "this looks a big city" moments. It almost felt like we were in a different town! Just imagine when the area has steady retail and more residences. Today could be the norm for this part of town.

They should really have the market every Sunday, and give it even more space. It's a proven booster for traffic, and just puts everyone in a great mood.

I know, I actually saw people walking from the market through the Southern end of Tapestry Square (by the townhomes) and headed to Heritage Hill, antiques in hand. It was quite the sight. 

Edited by GRDadof3

• 3 weeks later...

Slows opening the sixth of August. How long will this place be super busy?

I think it depends on the time of day and what day it is. And if they have their own hours separate from the market's? They have that big steel door that separates them so it leads me to believe they may have later hours. 

In Detroit I think the kitchen is open until midnight. The DT Market is only until 7:00. 

They're apparently also raising their parking rates. 30 minutes free, then $2 for the next hour. Not bad I guess. 

Edited by GRDadof3

Some interesting facts learned in the below Press article today.  I didn't know that Mark Sellers originally wanted to partner with Slows for 59 Commerce, the now dead Shrunkin Head spot.   Also interesting that Slows was offered (or given) "serious money up front to cover construction costs" that will be paid back though increased rent over ten years.  Assume that Social Kitchen is getting the same deal? 

The stet up of Slows appears to be the same as Green Street Meats here in Chicago, where get your meat and fixins in line and then find a spot to eat.  I look forward to trying Slows soon!

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/08/slows_bbq_grand_rapids_market.html

Edited by mpchicago

Some interesting facts learned in the below Press article today.  I didn't know that Mark Sellers originally wanted to partner with Slows for 59 Commerce, the now dead Shrunkin Head spot.   Also interesting that Slows was offered (or given) "serious money up front to cover construction costs" that will be paid back though increased rent over ten years.  Assume that Social Kitchen is getting the same deal? 

The stet up of Slows appears to be the same as Green Street Meats here in Chicago, where get your meat and fixins in line and then find a spot to eat.  I look forward to trying Slows soon!

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/08/slows_bbq_grand_rapids_market.html

I plan to try it soon, but I think I'll try it at happy hour to see how busy it is (rather than at a meal time). :)