Latta Arcade/Brevard Court

Couldn't find a similar topic, if I missed it, please move it to the appropriate spot.

Most people refer to this as the French Quarter downtown (where the French Quarter restaurant is located), but Brevard Court has had some retail shakeups lately.

George Herman's closed mysteriously one Friday a couple nights ago, with the landlord repossessing the property that day. Dogwood Cafe closed for good a while ago and the Roly Poly sandwich shop that was there on Church street has also been gone for a while.

In the space where Roly Poly once was is a new breakfast spot called Eggheads that is opening soon. George Hermans remains to be seen if it will reopen, but I imagine it will in some form since it is already built out inside for a bar/restaurant. There is also space for lease across the alley from where George Hermans was, below Brevard Court Sundries that I heard was being occupied. The French Quarter restaurant continues to do their usual amount of business from what I can tell.

For those that haven't taken a peek, its a rarity in Charlotte to have something that old (ha!) relatively untouched and set up for urban style retail. There are limitations to the site, age, parking, etc. but I thought it was worth a post to discuss the changes, especially since Eggheads will add another breakfast spot to Uptown (hope its good!).

Edited by QCkid

You know... I get the fact that weekend business may not be lucrative... but if there is anywhere in this city that should be open on Saturday afternoons and Sundays (even if it's just after church lets out), this is it. Lucrative = maybe not ... viable = certainly.

The whole place may get a lot of business during the work week - but I've never been inside because I do not work uptown M-F. But it doesn't mean that I WOULDN'T go in - if it were open after 6pm or on weekends.

Is Salsaritas open on weekends? I know Eckerd isn't, and that's ridiculous (it's streetfront!!)

Edited by The Escapists

i saw the sign for eggheads and am pretty excited about it. i would hope they'll serve weekend breakfast, which is sorely needed uptown.

since i live uptown, but work just outside of it, i never get to patronize these places either and its a real shame.

i THINK Salsaritas has better hours, because i remember driving by recently when it was open and i would not have been there during the work day. even if its not the classic-style mexican place i've been wanting it definitely is welcome here.

That is sad what's happening to Brevard Court lately with spaces empty like that. It's the only place I go for Happy Hour since I can't really stand the other places downtown. I spoke with the owner and he's been trying to get those empty spaces filled for a while.

As for Salsaritas, it's a marginal-tasting Mexican food joint.

That is sad what's happening to Brevard Court lately with spaces empty like that. It's the only place I go for Happy Hour since I can't really stand the other places downtown. I spoke with the owner and he's been trying to get those empty spaces filled for a while.

hopefully it will get better once Catalyst fills up and 440 S. Church has some tenants. i couldn't believe how many people i mentioned it to who live or work uptown and had no idea where i was talking about.

• 1 year later...

Okay, not really Latta Arcade, but I didn't know where else to put it.

The Dilworth Coffee next to the Visitor's Center closed recently, and today there are signs up for Amelie's French Bakery: http://www.ameliesfrenchbakery.com/

Apparently a NoDa place, but they'll be opening some sort of presence in this space.

Apparently a Noda Place????? APPARENTLY? Its like the best place on earth, you must go there, I am excited that Amelie's will have a presence downtown!!!!

Unrelated to Amelie's I was at Brevard court a couple of Saturday nights ago for a semi-private art release party. One of the vacant slots (I think it was vacant) was converted into (a small) gallery space. Beer was sold by vendors in the courtyard and Holligans and Eggheads were also serving. Most of the other businesses were closed, Latta Arcade was also locked up. Art installations were scattered around in the courtyard. It was an excellent (and interesting) space for a gathering of 100 or so folks -- other than a remarkable view of one of the Wellscovia buildings it feels totally different than the remainder of uptown.

Great space after dark!

I think with the right level of business they'll change the hours as needed. It's not like a chain, where the hours are set in stone.

The comments on CltBlog say that hours will be event-driven. The video is pretty interesting, too.

Guess I'm a little out of touch with my French Bakeries! Sorry! It is probably sort-of a crime I've lived here 9 years and only been to NoDa once (and that was only for Charlotte Oktoberfest).

Apparently, you've never had a Salted Caramel Brownie, either! ;-)

Amelie's posted this on Facebook about 2 hours ago:

Hi all! Just wanted to clarify: despite rumors to the contrary, Amelie's uptown hours (and name) are tbd. But the will reflect the vibrant uptown scene Charlotte has become. And we definitely won't be closed on Sunday! Help us get the word out and retweet/repost. -Lexi

• 4 years later...

Crisp is moving a few doors down to the old Quizno's space.  That should give them some more room.  They are crammed into a tiny space, and they have a LONG line every day.

Wow, this is a long time coming and a great move for them. Their current space just does NOT work for them, this should help them do even more business. This is easily one of the busiest lunch places every day.

• 4 months later...

Anybody have info on this one? -- "Queen City Bottles & Chili" -- spotted in Latta Arcade (or Brevard Court) next to the cupcake shop that's been Coming Soon for a year.

20150309_112215_zpsrtxg42tx.jpg

p.s. The new Crisp space looks just about ready to open.

Same ownership group as Hooligans.

Growler Tap Room and Chili bar.  Should have some bottles for sale in there as well.  It'll be on both sides of that stair case per my understanding.

• Like 1

Same ownership group as Hooligans.

Growler Tap Room and Chili bar.  Should have some bottles for sale in there as well.  It'll be on both sides of that stair case per my understanding.

Any chance it could be used as overflow space for packed soccer games?