The Good News Report

atlrvr

Here is a Forbes article that shows a Full List of America's fastest recovering cities. The list is ranked by using the 100 largest MSAs and includes unemployment rank, home price rank etc.

Unfortunately, Charlotte is ranked 54 out of the 100 MSAs listed.

Considering the city's exposure to the banking sector, I'm actually surprised we're even that high!

Here is a Forbes article that shows a Full List of America's fastest recovering cities. The list is ranked by using the 100 largest MSAs and includes unemployment rank, home price rank etc.

Unfortunately, Charlotte is ranked 54 out of the 100 MSAs listed.

But it still gives me some relief knowing that we are ahead of our several of our growth competitors, ie. Portland, Phoenix, Atlanta, Orlando, Las Vegas, and Tampa.

re Project Cardinal:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/topstories/story/1085281.html

I _think_ I am impressed that the observer can write so many words about something without actually saying anything.

On the 7-0 county commission vote to approve the incentives:

"and Dumont Clarke recused himself from the vote." anybody know anything about the Moore and Van Allen client list?

re Project Cardinal:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/topstories/story/1085281.html

I _think_ I am impressed that the observer can write so many words about something without actually saying anything.

On the 7-0 county commission vote to approve the incentives:

"and Dumont Clarke recused himself from the vote." anybody know anything about the Moore and Van Allen client list?

What exactly does "recusing himself from the vote" mean? Did he walk himself out the room so he wouldn't be forced to make a vote? LOL

What exactly does "recusing himself from the vote" mean? Did he walk himself out the room so he wouldn't be forced to make a vote? LOL

Nah, means he had a conflict of interest and therefor was unqualified to vote, at least thats what it means in legal terms. Which is why the previous poster asked about his Law Firm's client list.

Edited by Guest

I don't know if anyone has posted it here, but Sencera, a local solar energy company is looking to establish a 50 megawatt plant in the Charlotte area. This would create 127 jobs.

There is also talk of building a waste-to-energy incenerator in Chester County. That would create 50 permanent jobs.

Also, although no jobs numbers were given, NCRC is trying to establish a Botanical Research Center in Kannapolis. If it does get built, it would be one of only 6 in the nation.

More good news today:

1. Cleveland County is going to get a Duke Energy training center/meeting center in Kings Mountain which is expected to create 125 jobs.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Needed-jobs-coming-to-Cleveland-County-78466987.html

2. Statesville will be the site of a new textile plant from a Brazilian firm. The initial job count is 56 with up to 160 jobs when all is done.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1089494.html

3. Perhaps the biggest news of the day...NCRC is moving forward with it's proposed cyclotron (the one that could bring up to 2000 jobs). There was an article in today's Salisbury post which mentioned that there are several grant proposals being written and at least a portion of the funding will come from Murdock himself. If/when built, it will be the largest of only two in North America.

http://www.salisburypost.com/NCRC/120309-NCRC-meets-with-RTP

More good news today:

2. Statesville will be the site of a new textile plant from a Brazilian firm. The initial job count is 56 with up to 160 jobs when all is done.

http://www.charlotte...ry/1089494.html

I had started talking to these guys a couple of years ago when this project first came up. Good to see its been resurrected. I think companies are now starting to get enough confidence in the recovery that they want to be ready for when things get back to normal, whatever the new normal is.

I can't believe that B&W moving their corporate HQ to Charlotte as part of the spin-off didn't get more press in Charlotte (Observer, I'm looking at you).

This will be a Fortune 1000 company once the spin-off is complete!!! yahoo.gif

Though the article says less/about a dozen jobs relocating here from Lynchburg, I would have to think there will be some growth here, if nothing else but in corporate jobs. Also considering they are a nuclear engineering company, it would make sense to base at least some engineering jobs here as well.

Chalk this one up to their new CEO (since 2008) having lived in Charlotte for a long time (he headed the company's sales office that has been in Charlotte for a while). I guess he rather move people to Charlotte, than relocate to Lynchburg.

^

It would be relatively high on the Fortune 1000 list as well, might even break into the Fortune 500 category at some point. At any rate, this is great news and will hopefully bring much needed jobs if the company chooses to expand in Charlotte.

Hopefully, ENN will set up their US HQ in Charlotte soon as well.

Edited by cltbwimob

Premier Healthcare may be relocating all the jobs in their San Diego and Philly offices to Charlotte and shutting those offices down. I don't know if every employee who currently works there will be offered a relo package or if these are just new jobs coming to Charlotte.

I don't know that I can necessarily say that this is good news (it is never good news for someone to possibly lose their job), however I guess it would bring some economic benefits to the region, either in the form of extra people relocating, or bringing the unemployment rate down a little.

The company I work for Zenta, had the below paragraph in a weekly newsletter. Not sure if this is old news around here or not but I thought I'd post it.

Rite Aid is scanning the interstate highways that run through Charlotte for a site for a huge new distribution center. The Harrisburg, PA, company would need at least 50 acres for a 600,000 plus square foot center that would supply its Southeastern drug stores. The project is being shopped around the area under the code name Patriot. The search is focused on sites with easy access to the interstate highways. The company already has more than 875,000 square feet of distribution space in Charlotte NC. The largest site is a 586,000 square foot center at 1700 Statesville Avenue on the north side of Charlotte.

^Radioshack just a few years back was a F500 company. My guess is that all the budget tightening during the down economy hurt retail sales enough to bump companies such as Radioshack out of the F500 list. Belk was #570 on the F1000 list in 2008 but is now in the 600s, my guess is the same thing happened to them.

Don't forget Babcock and Wilcox. They generated $3 billion in revenue last year. Once their spinoff is complete, they should be a Fortune 1000 company and the list should look something like this (assuming we get the RS HQ):

500-

1. Bank of America

2. Lowes

3. Nucor

4. Duke Energy

5. SPX

6. Family Dollar

7. Sonic Automotive

8. Goodrich

1000-

9. Radioshack (If they relocate to Charlotte)

10. Ruddick

11. Belk

12. Carlisle Companies

13. Babcock and Wilcox (Should be present on this list once spinoff, and move to Charlotte is complete)

14. Piedmont Natural Gas

...a Radio Shack headquarters would bring the total to *13* Fortune-1000 companies in Charlotte. And at #534, it would stand a very good shot at becoming our *9th* Fortune-500 company in the coming years.

Can't be! Charlotte is on the ropes! The banking crisis has brought Charlotte to its knees!

(end sarcasm)