Chaotic intersections

Neo

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What really catches my attention is how there seems to be no road rage. If there was an intersection like that in America with no lights, there would be a dozen accidents/fatalities a day at it from the road rage we seem to have in this country.

What really catches my attention is how there seems to be no road rage. If there was an intersection like that in America with no lights, there would be a dozen accidents/fatalities a day at it from the road rage we seem to have in this country.

They must have more patience then (the fact that some of the drivers actually slow down to accommodate pedestrians, bikes, and left turning vehicles). My guess is that they also don't all have cell-phone stuck to their ear and a plethora of other electronic devices at hand either so they are able to really pay attention to their driving. Interesting to think that we have to have all sorts of complex traffic signal patterns to control intersections like that in the U.S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

statistics show that the intersections that are believed to be the most dangerous due to poor or confusing design tend to be the safest with the fewest accidents and injuries. Conversely, the most 'modern' intersections tend to have more accidents and more injuries. This is generally thought to be because if people think and intersection is dangerous, they pay more attention. If they feel safe, they will not pay attention. I have been witness to this. Here in Norfolk, VA we have an intersection called five points. Very confusing, especially if you aren't from here. It is at the intersection of Chesapeake Blvd, Norview Ave, and Sewells Point Rd. Very few accidents. Compare it to a more 'modern' intersection such as the one at Virginia Beach Blvd and Independence Blvd and the more modern one seems better. Except of course for the higher number of accidents, injuries, and fatalities. Go for a drive the next time the power goes out. Pick a wide road with lots of lights. Generally, you will find fewer backups and fewer accidents because people pay more attention.

Archived