Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

Also things don't look good for Ozpresso. They've been unexpectedly closed for the past week or so with no clear explanation. It's never seemed like they did stellar business, but they do have their own little following. Not sure what'll happen there.

Also things don't look good for Ozpresso. They've been unexpectedly closed for the past week or so with no clear explanation. It's never seemed like they did stellar business, but they do have their own little following. Not sure what'll happen there.

Tough to compete with smelly cat, but yeah they've always had good reviews. That's a shame about that one.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Greek Isles can't get the owners to renew his lease. So sad. For family, and business, this was one of my favorites. You could ride the light rail down from uptown (or walk).  Yet another Mexican restaurant/bar moving in. 

Hopefully he finds a great new space. There will be plenty coming on line soon :-)

Yet another Mexican restaurant/bar moving in. 

All my South End neighbors are excited about this change -- there are no Mexican restaurants in South End (Phat Burrito and Chipotle don't count -- and Bakersfield isn't exactly walkable even if you could get a seat).

• 2 weeks later...

Flamin' Crawfish, the odd Vietnamese/Cajun concept in the old Nom Nom Burgers spot at Park Towne Village, has closed as of the end of May.  Never ate there, so I can't personally comment on the food.

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/flamin-crawfish-flames-out-in-myers-park/#.VXmW60Zp63Y

That spot seems to be cursed. Nom Nom Burgers was great and couldn't make it, while this one got mediocre to poor reviews so I knew it wouldn't last. 

• 4 months later...

This cuts me deep. According to an employee, their lease is up and the landlord is not renewing it.

CRSoNN0UwAAD7-c.jpg

Oh wow, that sucks. Tin Tin was my spot when I lived at Fifth & Poplar. So much so that I'd call in an order before I walked over there to pick it up and they would know me on the phone. No need to say my name. I just walked in and they gave me my food and rang me up at the register. I often would even go uptown after I moved to South End just to get their insanely cheap and delicious food they had. Hasaki is a close second, but Tin Tin was close to my heart when I lived uptown. It was my go-to spot when I wasn't sure what I wanted. I haven't been there in probably a year, since I don't live there anymore, but that was my staple. One of the many reasons I loved living uptown.

• 3 weeks later...

I never had any desire to try that place until reading this obituary article about it. That lower level of the shopping center is a tough spot for bars and restaurants. I hope he can try this concept in a better location. 

I never had any desire to try that place until reading this obituary article about it. That lower level of the shopping center is a tough spot for bars and restaurants. I hope he can try this concept in a better location. 

Agreed, I think this would do well in NoDa or Plaza, it's quirky and fits.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

And the decor was done up quite well. The place looked good and you can tell time and money was spent on it. It's a shame it didn't last as it was different from everything else around town. I stopped by there once with a friend and it was absolutely dead. Granted it was a little early (7:30ish), but it was also a friday. Drinks were pretty solid though.

Joe Hooper's in Plaza Midwood closed last month. I didn't realize until now. Strangely, I visited there the month before for the first time. I thought it was good...nothing amazing, but good nonetheless. Apparently there was a chance that an apartment or condo building was going to go there, but that doesn't seem to be the case now.  There is a website, www.itsnotacondo.com which indicates it might actually be a cooler spot taking over. There are no details, but the picture on the website hints at a more speakeasy vibe, which I am totally down with!

35 minutes ago, ScottCLT said:

Joe Hooper's in Plaza Midwood closed last month. I didn't realize until now. Strangely, I visited there the month before for the first time. I thought it was good...nothing amazing, but good nonetheless. Apparently there was a chance that an apartment or condo building was going to go there, but that doesn't seem to be the case now.  There is a website, www.itsnotacondo.com which indicates it might actually be a cooler spot taking over. There are no details, but the picture on the website hints at a more speakeasy vibe, which I am totally down with!

posted here :) and agreed on the speakeasy part. Would fit nicely in plaza

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/10211-plaza-midwood-projects-central-commonwealth-the-plaza/?page=104

• 3 weeks later...