Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

I drive past Central Bar and Restaurant everyday and it has not been open in over a week. Their website does not say anything though. Hopefully something will go in there and do well. Definitely a great rooftop view.

hmm that didn't last long. too bad...but i was never tempted to go there. its a great looking space and location but something DISTINCT needs to go there. it says something that both that and Common House closed recently, nice but nondescript bar restaurants.

I drive past Central Bar and Restaurant everyday and it has not been open in over a week. Their website does not say anything though. Hopefully something will go in there and do well. Definitely a great rooftop view.

I saw a tweet today related to this:

CLTculinaryclub CLT Culinary Club

Apparently Frank Scibelli (owner of @MamaRicottasCLT & @Cantina1511Clt) has taken control of the space formally occupied by @thecentralbar.

Edited by dbull75

• 2 weeks later...

^That may explain why there is no sign sharing a closure. Plus, the Twilight Zone effect of chairs and tables left on the patio, bar stools not put up on the bar, and even the Budweiser sign still glowing.

I noticed the name was scraped off the door and the glowing sign is no longer shining. Any update on what is going in this space?

I noticed the name was scraped off the door and the glowing sign is no longer shining. Any update on what is going in this space?

Looks like this will be turning into a barbecue joint. Apparently the owner is taking cues from Bridges Barbecue Lodge in Shelby. That's my favorite barbecue in all of NC that I have tried, so I am excited about that!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This one came out of left field - Sir Edmund Halley's has closed. This is really disappointing, I really enjoyed Sir Ed's quite a bit. It's not clear yet why they closed, but it's a big loss to the Park Rd area.

Just an FYI - Sir Edmund Halley's has reopened as of today. The sign says "opening at 6pm-2am." Not sure if they will open for lunch but I will find out.

Luigi's Pizza on East blvd (beside the Teeter) is now closed. Since this was the third pizza joint to close in this slot in the past 5 years or so its not really a surprise.

What was a surprise was the sign on the door which said that they were closing "due to the expansion of Harris Teeter"

Brevard Court Sundries is closing down. Last day will be 12-10-2010. It is (soon to be was) a great happy hour place for me personally in the Brevard Court downtown outside the Latta Arcade in the South Church St. Had many great moments after hours, football games, and other downtown events since it felt like the old Cheers TV show because of the owner and friendly wait staff. Sad to see it will be closing.

Edited by dxartist

Luigi's Pizza on East blvd (beside the Teeter) is now closed. Since this was the third pizza joint to close in this slot in the past 5 years or so its not really a surprise.

What was a surprise was the sign on the door which said that they were closing "due to the expansion of Harris Teeter"

Ahhh.....perhaps the long rumored addition is ramping up. Cue DCDA freakout in 4,3,2,1

I haven't seen this mentioned on here yet, but it appears the renovations at The Penguin have begun. Drove by there yesterday and the windows were all papered up and there was a contractor's work truck parked outside. My heart got a little heavy when I saw it. Soooo.....anybody know when The Diamond plans to open?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stool Pigeons in Matthews has closed. O'Charley's in the Galleria Shopping Center has also closed.

Sonny's BBQ, Texas Roadhouse, and Rafferty's on South Blvd have all closed along with several retailers in the Carolina Pavilion shopping center.

Any idea why the mass wave of closings all over the city after the new year? The economy was supposedly worse last year than this year, and I don't remember it being this bad.

Edited by bchris02

Any idea why the mass wave of closings all over the city after the new year? The economy was supposedly worse last year than this year, and I don't remember it being this bad.

Have you read all the articles regarding reports of mass bird and fish deaths recently? Remember the summer of the shark? Seems that in those cases it turns out that scientists have stated that there is much ado about nothing as it is quite natural and common - it is the hype that is more noteworthy than the event.

Such as I suspect is the wave of restaurant closings. Things close and things open.

I read that La Paz on South Blvd has closed. They plan on reopening this summer somewhere on Kings Dr. Can anyone confirm this? I am wondering if they were simply moving locations why they would take such a long hiatus. I believe they got a low score on their last inspection so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

With all the restaurant closings in the Dilworth area, are there any openings in the works?

Edited by bchris02

I read that La Paz on South Blvd has closed. They plan on reopening this summer somewhere on Kings Dr. Can anyone confirm this? I am wondering if they were simply moving locations why they would take such a long hiatus. I believe they got a low score on their last inspection so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

With all the restaurant closings in the Dilworth area, are there any openings in the works?

This is correct. The will be reopening somewhere at the Met from what I have heard from a former employee.