Park Road / Woodlawn / Montford Area Retail

• 3 months later...

I, for one, dislike the changes Edens & Avant have done to PRSS. I've worked there for over 13 years and it gets quite depressing to see the train-wreck they have created with the parking lot. They have ripped most of the concrete walkways out that were between the parking spaces forcing customers, women with strollers, children, etc to walk in the roadway of the parking lot. Not very bright. I'm all for more trees and landscaping but this was not well thought out. 

Also, that stretch of newly configured roadway in front of Fuel Pizza was poor planning all around, especially the stretch going north. It is very narrow and most delivery type trucks can't make the turns from any direction. It's evident in all the tread marks you see in the new planter medians on the right. If they hadn't built those little planter medians, it would be a little better. Not to mention that when exiting the parking lot from the center, say from Blackhawk Hardware towards Fuel, you can only make a right turn. So, people go right and make a U-turn, holding up traffic behind them as they wait. It's a crazy mess. I see it every day.

Don't even get me started on this ugly whitewash they painted over the bricks. Some may like it, but I haven't met anyone yet that does. And believe me, I've talked to many, many people. 

I said early in the process, I won't judge this until I see the finished product. But so far, I ain't likin' what I'm seein'.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the ugly whitewash paint at PRSS. Today, the owners have decided they do not like the whitewash paint. So, what are they going to do? They are going to paint the bricks a "solid" white. I'll upload some pics as they progress. 

Another boondoggle idea were the triangular planters along the curb in front of the shopping center. Well, many of them are level with the roadway and people parking along the curb are driving right over them. They just planted all these nice plants in them, only to have cars drive, and in some cases "park" on top of them. Crazy mess!

Edited by swampfox43
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The Dry Cleaners behind Park Rd Shopping Center has been asked to vacate after 29 years at the current location. Sounds like we will see some tenant changes in 2014.  Not sure why you wouldn't want a dry cleaner in a center like this? Maybe they want something newer and more corporate????

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/grinch-shows-park-road-shopping-center/

The Dry Cleaners behind Park Rd Shopping Center has been asked to vacate after 29 years at the current location. Sounds like we will see some tenant changes in 2014. Not sure why you wouldn't want a dry cleaner in a center like this? Maybe they want something newer and more corporate????

There is another dry cleaners behind the Harris teeter side of the shopping center. That building is so old that is being asked to leave, I don't see another tenant wanting to take it, unless they knock it down..

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/grinch-shows-park-road-shopping-center/

Also, Rack Room Shoes at PRSC is closing. The signs were posted Dec 23. Lot's of stores are moving out. I am sure in part because of the astronomical rate increase. Blackhawk signed a 10 year lease 2 years ago but I doubt they will be moving even with the lease rate increase Edens & Avant has swept across the shopping center. Kinda sad to see some of the other little, independent stores leaving though. When Porter Byron opened PRSC, he wanted it to be a place for the little, independent guy to succeed. Yes, times have changed but it's still sad to see so many of them leaving.

• 4 weeks later...

The CBJ has an article mentioning some of the new stores coming to Park Road Shopping Center.   Cantina 1511 will be relocating from Dilworth to the center sometime in June.  Other new restaurants (including renderings) will be Va da Vie Gelato and Rock Salt.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/01/21/park-road-shopping-center-to-add-four-tenants.html

• Like 1

According to this CBJ article: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/01/21/cantina-1511-to-leave-dilworth-for-park-road.html the old Cantina will be rebranded as something else on East Blvd (no real concrete details yet). So perhaps the CMC monster isn't taking that area over just yet. Sad to see Cantina leave though. Loved going there back when I lived in Dilworth.