Drive for 'Center City' retail

Urbanity

TLDR; Pearl is steeped in pretension, yes, but it underscores the growing Yuccie population in Center City.

Sure there is something of a market for this kind of thing in center city, but its not the "Yuccie" (who I think reside more in the inner ring neighborhoods than uptown for the most part and live comfortably but do not necessarily have that much disposable income), its full on LA Yuppie. I hate that Yuccie term that people are trying to coin, but I fit the description completely in that article, and I am incredibly turned off by ostentatiousness for ostentatiousness' sake, not in clubs restaurants and leisure establishments where its appropriate, but where it exists only to make even utilitarian tasks feel exclusive. 

I probably wouldn't have a problem with it if it weren't trying to be so high-visibility in a street level space like this, where there is the air of desperation to "be seen" even when getting a cavity filled. 

/rant, sorry!

• Like 1

So my dentist in a non-descript building in Southend offers all those same amenities (noise canceling headphones, memory foam chair, flat screen tv overhead), but without all this pretension like its pretending to be a spa. I think its an awfully tacky approach to a health service and huge waste of a fairly prime ground level retail space. I saw the sign out of the corner of my eye the last time I drove down College and assumed it was some kind of upscale lounge. 

I think this is a good space for this kind of business. I'd love to see more doctors offices and optometrists and the like with street-level entrances. 

I think this is a good space for this kind of business. I'd love to see more doctors offices and optometrists and the like with street-level entrances.

I would to but the concept to me is so, ugh, tacky. Not too professional looking. Hopefully the red carpet is just for opening publicity

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard (or read) anything lately in regards to what our retail czar (pretty sure that is not an accurate title, but it sounds neat) has been up to. I was hoping that by now we would be hearing what his plans are or at least a break down into his findings as to why retail is struggling to get off the ground.

Has anyone heard (or read) anything lately in regards to what our retail czar (pretty sure that is not an accurate title, but it sounds neat) has been up to. I was hoping that by now we would be hearing what his plans are or at least a break down into his findings as to why retail is struggling to get off the ground.

Retail kiosk were coming uptown by 1Q16 I think along with the brochures that are already out. 

I'm still drooling over the fact that the CO site could be a mall by Simon

i want it more so since Jayvee heard that the BoA Plazs retail conversion was dead in the water (as the Iveys building retail conversion did.)

Retail kiosk were coming uptown by 1Q16 I think along with the brochures that are already out. 

I'm still drooling over the fact that the CO site could be a mall by Simon

i want it more so since Jayvee heard that the BoA Plazs retail conversion was dead in the water (as the Iveys building retail conversion did.)

Well, from the the fact they took the BofA sign down it may not be dead at all. I am following up on that, but it seems like it could be alive and well.

While I feel that the kiosks are....something.....I'm just not that impressed by them. If they do in fact end up being temporary and also lead to more retail then I will gladly eat my words, but I feel like these will sprout up and then nothing for a few more years. And if after nearly a year on the job and all we have are kiosks from our retail guru then WOW is all I have to say. I'm just really curious to know his opinions on the state of our retail. Is he formulating some sort of plan? If so what is it and what is his vision?

While I feel that the kiosks are....something.....I'm just not that impressed by them. If they do in fact end up being temporary and also lead to more retail then I will gladly eat my words, but I feel like these will sprout up and then nothing for a few more years. And if after nearly a year on the job and all we have are kiosks from our retail guru then WOW is all I have to say. I'm just really curious to know his opinions on the state of our retail. Is he formulating some sort of plan? If so what is it and what is his vision?

I actually think we have a full fledged urban mall coming at Charlotte Observer Site, not to mention Edens has a couple letters of intent signed for their new redevelopment at Atherton Mill, Our Retail scene in the center city is ON THE BRINK. 

I actually think we have a full fledged urban mall coming at Charlotte Observer Site, not to mention Edens has a couple letters of intent signed for their new redevelopment at Atherton Mill, Our Retail scene in the center city is ON THE BRINK. 

By the time Tryon Place and the Observer site are done we will look back at the summer of 2015 and think.....wow, can you believe we survived on no retail (and spoiled what we now have). 

Edited by Jayvee

out of curiosity. Are you fairly confident in an urban mall? 

out of curiosity. Are you fairly confident in an urban mall? 

Not even a little bit. Its an unsubstantiated rumor. LOL. I am however, very confident in the Stonewall corridor, and the fact that there is already 150k sq feet of retail planned along the corridor, NOT including whatever happens at Lincoln Harris/Charlotte Observer.

Edited by Guest

I didn't realize that the Charlotte Observer project would involve not only the Tryon/Hill/Stonewall/Church block that the Observer's main building is on, but also basically the entire block between Church and the stadium as well. The only exception is Reeves Sheet Metal, and they want to sell.

Normally I am a bit skeptical about these sorts of multi-block developments being in the hands of a single developer. They can tend to be too big to ever get off the ground and lead to eventual disappointment (like Levineland), but given the current ascendancy of central Charlotte, and that this is arguably one the most developable parcels, in one of the hottest areas in Charlotte right now, bordering on South Tryon, Stonewall, South End, and just a couple blocks from a huge residential high-rise boom near Bearden Park, and with excellent visibility from the Belk Freeway (which is actually more important than you might think when it comes to retail) this has me really excited, and I don't even live in Charlotte.

I would not be surprised if significant retail of some sort were under consideration here. If this is true, I just hope they (1) go for mixed use, incorporating office and residential into the project as well, and (2) get the form factor right by focusing the retail on the streets rather than on internal corridors.

I didn't realize that the Charlotte Observer project would involve not only the Tryon/Hill/Stonewall/Church block that the Observer's main building is on, but also basically the entire block between Church and the stadium as well. The only exception is Reeves Sheet Metal, and they want to sell.

Normally I am a bit skeptical about these sorts of multi-block developments being in the hands of a single developer. They can tend to be too big to ever get off the ground and lead to eventual disappointment (like Levineland), but given the current ascendancy of central Charlotte, and that this is arguably one the most developable parcels, in one of the hottest areas in Charlotte right now, bordering on South Tryon, Stonewall, South End, and just a couple blocks from a huge residential high-rise boom near Bearden Park, and with excellent visibility from the Belk Freeway (which is actually more important than you might think when it comes to retail) this has me really excited, and I don't even live in Charlotte.

I would not be surprised if significant retail of some sort were under consideration here. If this is true, I just hope they (1) go for mixed use, incorporating office and residential into the project as well, and (2) get the form factor right by focusing the retail on the streets rather than on internal corridors.

The Rumor going around is that THIS below, also developed in conjunction with Simon, is the inspiration for the project.

http://www.brickellcitycentre.com

I don't want to be as pessimist as I sound, but do we really think Uptown can support a mall when Met and Southpark aren't that far away?  I already find Charlotte over-saturated with malls to begin with, but adding another mall, albeit Uptown doesn't make me hopeful unless they attract some big time tenants that have no presence in Charlotte yet.  Also, I would prefer to stay away from pure luxury tenants in order to appeal to a larger demographic.  I'm just not sure Uptown can handle a mall and it be successful.  

I don't want to be as pessimist as I sound, but do we really think Uptown can support a mall when Met and Southpark aren't that far away?  I already find Charlotte over-saturated with malls to begin with, but adding another mall, albeit Uptown doesn't make me hopeful unless they attract some big time tenants that have no presence in Charlotte yet.  Also, I would prefer to stay away from pure luxury tenants in order to appeal to a larger demographic.  I'm just not sure Uptown can handle a mall and it be successful.  

yes. 

No other answer needed. 

• Like 1

Theres one VERY big difference That a Urban Mall uptown would have over SouthPark. The same reason Concord Mills is the most visited "Attraction" in North Carolina. Highway visibility and access. SouthPark is not Interstate Accessible. Lincoln Harris/Charlotte Observer has direct site lines to a highway that carries almost 200k people a DAY.

I wonder if the fact that Lincoln Harris could throw a bone to Simon to make it even more of an attractive place to land a mall. Obviously, with a mall on site.... Lincoln Harris has a ton to gain... Hotel... Condo... Apartment....office. It's uptown, booming population, mass transit, employment center, convention business. Just to attratice with a mall to not pay huge dividends. 

So if Lincoln Harris can take away some risk for Simon and sweeten the pot because in the end, Lincoln Harris would have to be rolling in the dough a decade after such a deal, i could see it working.

And I think it could be a perfect compliment to constrained SouthPark. And you could probably get more frequent shoppers in the wealthier urban neighborhoods going to Dicks or getting some clothes and from tourist or office workers who may otherwise shop at say Gastonia's Eastridge mall. It might also steal some North Lake traffic.

Is it too hard to imagine that say inner ring residents would choose Stonewall Streer for Whole Foods and a mall vs. SouthPark?

I'm still very skeptical until Eli has an article in the observer. Even if it's a no comment from both Harris and Simon.

Sweet mother of God I hope this is an accurate rumor.

Somewhere someone from Lincoln Harris is reading this site thinking one of two things. 

1) Holy Crap where are these people getting all this info (This happened at Crescent, with Tryon Place, per a contact there, who did not feed any info)

2) These guys are idiots, we aren't doing any of that awesome stuff.

Has there been any talk in renaming this street? Any chance of a campaign to rename Stonewall Street? It seems a shame with all this new development coming to what will eventually be one of the main destination streets in Charlotte, it is named after one of the most famous slave owning Civil War generals. 

Remember John Stewart and John Oliver's great piece making fun of Charlotte and Stonewall Street specifically!

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/8s5k2q/hope-and-change-2---charlotte--nc

(Min 2:52)

Has there been any talk in renaming this street? Any chance of a campaign to rename Stonewall Street? It seems a shame with all this new development coming to what will eventually be one of the main destination streets in Charlotte, it is named after one of the most famous slave owning Civil War generals. 

Remember John Stewart and John Oliver's great piece making fun of Charlotte and Stonewall Street specifically!

I hope not.

• Like 1

If I recall correctly there was a Stonewall Street at the southern edge of Charlotte from pre Civil War time. And in any case I find it very hard to believe that if one were to honor a fallen hero the city would choose to use his nickname rather than his given name. "Black Jack St." rather than Pershing? "Bull Street" rather than Halsey? Does. Not. Work.

If I recall correctly there was a Stonewall Street at the southern edge of Charlotte from pre Civil War time. And in any case I find it very hard to believe that if one were to honor a fallen hero the city would choose to use his nickname rather than his given name. "Black Jack St." rather than Pershing? "Bull Street" rather than Halsey? Does. Not. Work.

I think Jackson's widow lived in Charlotte after the Civil War and the street was actually named after Jackson because of her presence.

I sincerely hope not. There aren't enough streets/places in Charlotte named for our connections to the past. I wish there were many more. Charlotte was located in a slave state that joined the Confederacy. That IS our history. There's no reason to pretend it didn't happen. The idea that we should white wash everything is ridiculous. I wouldn't advocate naming a street after some historical figure that had no connection to Charlotte, but we should keep any historical connections we do have and play them UP, not bury them.

To suggest renaming Stonewall St. because of his connection to slavery is no different than suggesting we rename Washington, DC because there were slaves at Mt. Vernon. This revisionist stuff has to stop (and the idiots who are defacing Confederate Monuments).

• Like 2