Proposed: Reynolds North and South Plant Redevelopment

TBurban

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While this is very good news, the most exciting potential news is the prospect of a new high-rise. I doubt, however, that there are any solid plans for this since there were no details revealed in the article. I'd like to see something taller than 30 stories...now that would be some serious news!

While this is very good news, the most exciting potential news is the prospect of a new high-rise. I doubt, however, that there are any solid plans for this since there were no details revealed in the article.

You never know... could also be one of a number of sites that could be considered for a new tower.......

Great before and after... I was trying to figure out the orientation in the paper. Now as for my contribution to the downtown master plan, how are they going to connext the canal with the millrace? Why keep the two separate?

You never know... could also be one of a number of sites that could be considered for a new tower.......

Do you know something the rest of us don't? I certainly hope there is a deal in the works! We could really use a nice signature tower right on the riverfront that just screams "The New Modern Richmond!"

...and it was disappointing to read that they're "marketing it as a 15- to 20-story, 350,000-square-foot skyscraper that would be nestled between Troutman Sanders and BB&T in the skyline." Can we get something at least into the 30-story range? Really, Richmond! Perhaps someone will come along and want something taller. We need a signature tower in Richmond...really bad! Who's with me?

...and it was disappointing to read that they're "marketing it as a 15- to 20-story, 350,000-square-foot skyscraper that would be nestled between Troutman Sanders and BB&T in the skyline." Can we get something at least into the 30-story range? Really, Richmond! Perhaps someone will come along and want something taller. We need a signature tower in Richmond...really bad! Who's with me?

I'm pretty sure there is a height restriction on the river bank.

Capital One is growing in Metro Richmond. They've hired 2,300 people locally in the last year, bringing total number of employees in the area to 10,000+. They're adding a 200K s/f office building, a 6-level parking deck and an 85K s/f conference center at their West Creek campus in Goochland. Also, they've expanded at Innsbrook and even leased several thousand s/f in the Williams Mullin tower downtown.

Capital One recently acquired ING, a Dutch banking company as well as HBSC Holdings. While McLean is the company's headquarters, perhaps they'll build a downtown Richmond tower to house what is now the 6th largest bank in the USA.

GJ knows, but he's not talking. :whistling:

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ace-ar-1733875/

GJ knows, but he's not talking. :whistling:

Yeah, I know...and it's killing me, but I understand if he's not at liberty to talk. Hopefully, something good will surface in the news soon. Capital One with their new ING takeover would be nice, but perhaps so other major employer in town...or even out-of-town will show up and want a prestigious location downtown. Hmmm....

Yeah, I know...and it's killing me, but I understand if he's not at liberty to talk. Hopefully, something good will surface in the news soon. Capital One with their new ING takeover would be nice, but perhaps so other major employer in town...or even out-of-town will show up and want a prestigious location downtown. Hmmm....

Amazon, maybe? :)

Downtown Class A Office Vacancy is around 6%, which is pretty tight. If you are a big tenant downtown and you need more space, there are not many existing large blocks available. Williams Mullen built a new tower to allow for growth and get their name on the top of a shiny new building. Perhaps there are others in the same boat as we come out of the recession... In the next 18 months, we'll hear about 1 or 2 or no new towers.

I've never heard anything to make me think Cap One would move the corporate HQ to Richmond. My guess is that if they did, they would head to West Creek, not downtown. Having said that, would be pretty awesome to see them come downtown some day. I cannot imagine they would move here without a new building.

The City could do more to make itself more attractive to businesses... city taxes (property and BPOL) are wayyy higher than the surrounding counties. Companies and employees already pay much more just for parking. There won't be free parking downtown, so they should re-evaluate the taxes, IMO. I also think, in conjunction with lower taxes, the city could consider (if it hasn't already) creating a streetscape improvement district similar to what Chesterfield did along the Midlothian Turnpike Corridor. Instead of pretty plants, we could have better (i.e. pedestrian) street lighting, brick sidewalks, and better maintained streets (repaving, repainting/striping), etc would go a long way. Get buy-in from downtown property owners and figure out a reasonable fee. Perhaps the City could use revenue from parking violations as well?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This notice is in today's (04/07/12) Richmond Times Dispatch Building Permits column:

"Reynolds Metals Co., owner; Canal Walk Builders LLC, contractor; 321 S. 11th St., alterations, $1,300,000."

The Building Permits column is rarely up-to-date, but it seems likely that work is underway on the residential portion of the property.

For what it's worth, while WTVR was broadcasting about the fire at the Reynolds Plant South today, they mentioned it will be the "future site of apartments and a grocery store."

I wonder if there would be enough traffic over there to attract Trader Joe's?

• 1 year later...

Oddly not one article concerning the cleanup of this site has been published in the Richmond TD.   By site this means both sides of the river.  If the  developers think they got a "clean" site they are very wrong.    South Plant was there a long time and in the beginning things were a bit dirty same can be said for the North Plant.    Hopefully someone outside of the corrupt city/developer circle will insist the sites' chemical composition be published.   Anyone buying or renting something better like the smell of oil and if one wants to know why just ask the plant that worked at the adjecant paint company.    This is a greenfield project and buyer beware.

Archived