Google Fiber

PBJ

...what?

Care to expound on your statement?

I think what the rusty mitten is getting at is that they are going to trash the Internet and force people onto Internet2. There is legislation and/or executive orders that will restrict the Internet even much more than China. Using the Internet will become a junk pile while Internet2 will be full of good information and entertainment. In order to get Internet2 you will need the "special" connection and they will have strict requirements that will prohibit many from having normal access to Internet2.

That's my basic understanding of their plans.

~John Eisenschenk

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what the rusty mitten is getting at is that they are going to trash the Internet and force people onto Internet2. There is legislation and/or executive orders that will restrict the Internet even much more than China. Using the Internet will become a junk pile while Internet2 will be full of good information and entertainment. In order to get Internet2 you will need the "special" connection and they will have strict requirements that will prohibit many from having normal access to Internet2.

That's my basic understanding of their plans.

~John Eisenschenk

...what?

Care to expound on your statement?

Here's a link to the main Wired story I found on the issue. Here's a story on them denying it, here's one on some media reaction.

Internet2 is a "they" (consortium of educational institutions and R&D companies) not an "it," (network, though they do have one which is strictly for R&D purposes...so letting the public on would defeat its purpose) and it's probably better to leave them out of the discussion as they've come out strongly on the side of net neutrality.

That said, the idea making people use new network resources / a whole new net to get a faster connection that is controlled by the company providing said network access is not far off, and that's what has everyone in a tizzy. Youtube would get priority over, say, your work email, because they paid your ISP for that privilege. On the face of it this does seem like a "do no evil" fail.

Here's a link to the main Wired story I found on the issue. Here's a story on them denying it, here's one on some media reaction.

Internet2 is a "they" (consortium of educational institutions and R&D companies) not an "it," (network, though they do have one which is strictly for R&D purposes...so letting the public on would defeat its purpose) and it's probably better to leave them out of the discussion as they've come out strongly on the side of net neutrality.

That said, the idea making people use new network resources / a whole new net to get a faster connection that is controlled by the company providing said network access is not far off, and that's what has everyone in a tizzy. Youtube would get priority over, say, your work email, because they paid your ISP for that privilege. On the face of it this does seem like a "do no evil" fail.

Internet2 is also HQ'ed here in Ann Arbor, Michigan!

So not only is it a "they" (primarily universities) it's a "they" close to our hearts.

http://www.internet2.edu/about/contact/

• 7 months later...

Good for KC. It's a pretty cool city. I haven't been there in a long time, but I've read about some good downtown revitalization and a burgeoning art scene there as well.

I was there last September and what I saw was impressive ... notably the Power & Light district and new performing arts center under construction.

Got there by train from Grand Rapids. Around $180 round trip.

Archived