Charlotte wishlist - scorecard

Neo

According to an N&O article, Sheetz is planning a big push into NC, with 30 new stores over the next 3 years in NC, in addition to a distribution center, offices and bakery that they want to build somehwhere between the Triad and Triangle and have open by 2014. I'd imagine that any big push push into NC would include Charlotte at some point. They would be nuts to skip over the area.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/07/07/1326368/sheetz-has-bigger-plans-in-nc.html

Edited by Gard

• 2 months later...

Shouldn't the following be crossed off:

Major corporate relocation (outside of banking) to the city - Chiquita

Streetcar gets funding and construction starts between CTC and Presby - It got the funding and construction will start soon

Baseball downtown (Knights or otherwise) moves forward - I would say this is a yes since the wording was "moves forward" and we have city & county funding, new website and Knights have partnership agreements

This one we should wait till it happens, but its on the radar of soon:

CATS Lynx NE extension gets full funding agreement ( I guess this one is expected to be crossed off by year-end)

Shouldn't the following be crossed off:

Major corporate relocation (outside of banking) to the city - Chiquita

Streetcar gets funding and construction starts between CTC and Presby - It got the funding and construction will start soon

Baseball downtown (Knights or otherwise) moves forward - I would say this is a yes since the wording was "moves forward" and we have city & county funding, new website and Knights have partnership agreements

This one we should wait till it happens, but its on the radar of soon:

CATS Lynx NE extension gets full funding agreement ( I guess this one is expected to be crossed off by year-end)

Sorry, I don't keep up with this as much as I should. :blush:

I've updated the first post to reflect the awesome additions to our great city!

• 2 months later...

So, does anyone think uptown will have a few Highrises announced in 2013? I feel optimistic about the year 2013 as far as uptown development goes. And just optimistic about 2013 in general for Charlotte. Feel free to slap me with reality.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

So, does anyone think uptown will have a few Highrises announced in 2013? I feel optimistic about the year 2013 as far as uptown development goes. And just optimistic about 2013 in general for Charlotte. Feel free to slap me with reality.

I'm cautiously optimistic that something will happen with the former 210 Trade condo site within the next year. The investors that took it over have put in a lot of money to spruce up the Epicentre. My thought (and I have no inside knowledge) is that something will be on the horizon (whether it's apartments or hotel). There is also the talk of the 1,000 room hotel somewhere in uptown near the convention center. I think this is more related to the Panthers stadium upgrade, but a hotel with that many rooms would easily be the the tallest hotel building in the city.

I'm cautiously optimistic that something will happen with the former 210 Trade condo site within the next year. The investors that took it over have put in a lot of money to spruce up the Epicentre. My thought (and I have no inside knowledge) is that something will be on the horizon (whether it's apartments or hotel). There is also the talk of the 1,000 room hotel somewhere in uptown near the convention center. I think this is more related to the Panthers stadium upgrade, but a hotel with that many rooms would easily be the the tallest hotel building in the city.

That would not be the tallest hotel in the city by a long shot. Westin is 700 rooms and is only 25 floors. For Comparison Marriot Marquis in atlanta has 1700 rooms and would only be our 5th tallest building.

That would not be the tallest hotel in the city by a long shot. Westin is 700 rooms and is only 25 floors. For Comparison Marriot Marquis in atlanta has 1700 rooms and would only be our 5th tallest building.

If the Westin has 700 rooms and is 25 floors, excluding the footprint of the building, how would a hotel with 300 more rooms not be taller? Obviously design would have a lot to do with it, but I can't see how that wouldn't at least be a 30 story building, making it the tallest hotel in the city.

^ This is an honest question (meaning I have no idea what the answer is): How many more hotel rooms can be reasonably accomodated downtown? Clearly there is a need for some more rooms but there is recent talk of hotel projects adjacent the ballpark and on the first ward Levine property. Combine this with two (?) convention center area hotel projects (above), a possible Southend hotel and the Sky Hyatt and we are talking about a large amount of inventory. Add in another hotel project in the Midtown area to serve a failrly large hospital market for good measure....

So what is the current occupancy rate for downtown hotels? How many events per year max out the existing inventory? (do Panther home games fill rooms? I know that the bobcats do not). How many conventions do we have that fill all the downtown rooms?

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see more hotel room space downtown, I am just wondering about the current supply / demand relationship and what changes will generate more demand.

Edited by kermit

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to add for a very long term goal of adding a science and technology based university (with Ph.D. offerings) to the Charlotte area. Expanding JCSU to fill that role would be awesome, A SC state school would be acceptable in Rock Hill or Fort Mill, or a brand new institution (call it Charlotte Institute of Technology Yea!, or CITY! for short, and yeah I couldn't think of a Y word to make the acronym work)

I'd like to add for a very long term goal of adding a science and technology based university (with Ph.D. offerings) to the Charlotte area. Expanding JCSU to fill that role would be awesome, A SC state school would be acceptable in Rock Hill or Fort Mill, or a brand new institution (call it Charlotte Institute of Technology Yea!, or CITY! for short, and yeah I couldn't think of a Y word to make the acronym work)

What do you think UNC Charlotte is?

It is a research university with extensive offerings in engineering and science. Next year (I think) they break ground on a $120 million science building that will be one of the most advanced in the state.

Add to that the EPIC building that joins the university with Westinghouse, Areva, Siemens, etc. plus their growing presence uptown, and their push to create an innovation corridor between uptown and university city, as proposed in the 2020 vision plan.

^^^ What they said.

UNC Charlotte is classified as a doctoral/Research University.

The whole North Tryon side of campus is called the Charlotte Research Institute side which includes bioinformatics, EPIC, cyber defense, and engineering (advanced).

The PORTAL building which is opening at North Tryon entrance will be the only building on any of the 17 UNC campuses that will have a U.S. military grade sensitive-compartmental information facility, making it eligible for Department of Defense research projects.

All that said - UNC Charlotte is a young institution as a whole (only public non-G.I. campus since 1949) which in its short time is the 4th largest in the system attendance wise, and 3rd largest as far as undergrads. It does have a way to go as far as PhD enrollment numbers but it is certainly growing at a healthy clip.

I guess that leads me to my wish list addition. I would love for the city to fully embrace the university and land a medical school and law school. If I remember correctly, Charlotte is the largest city with a medical school. None of this can happen if the city cannot embrace the university and encourage it to become an important member of the community.

How many people in Charlotte really know that UNC Charlotte is a research university? My guess is a very small percentage. That visibility rises with additions of football, medical school, and law school.

12 Hotels are owned by Novare who developed The Catalyst adjacent to the hotel site. Given Novare's troubles over the last few years from the condo market tanking, I don't see them doing anything but apartments in the near term, so don't expect to see the 12 Hotel concept in Charlotte or anywhere outside of the two existing in Atlanta.

We may see a Homewood Suites in the near future uptown or in the surrounding area. I'm not a hotel guy though, so someone else could probably give more elaborate intel on the subject.

Edited by Prodev

What do you think UNC Charlotte is?

It is a research university with extensive offerings in engineering and science. Next year (I think) they break ground on a $120 million science building that will be one of the most advanced in the state.

I should have said another. Part of what has made the Raleigh / Durham area successful is the fact that they have a large number of Doctoral / Research Universities near by. I'm not suggesting a new school as a disparagement to UNC Charlotte at all, I have great respect for this institution. I suggest it only for the positive effects another school would have on the Charlotte region.

BTW Charlotte does have a Medical school (sort of). The UNC School of Medicine has a campus at CMC - Main which currently offers the last two years of Medical Schooling and will expand to offering the full four years.

• 1 month later...

^ never

I'm in my 20's and grew up to uptown. You could be anywhere in metro Charlotte and everyone knows uptown specifically refers to, well, uptown Charlotte. Not uptown Concord, not uptown hickory...

It's like uptown is a proper noun that means "downtown" Charlotte where as downtown is a general pronoun.

I dunno. We already have generations that grew up and now are adults with kids raised calling it uptown. It's too late now...