±

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

2,469 posts in this topic

Posted

This thread is for the discussion of all of Downtown Orlando's new projects that don't already have their own threads. It also includes a list of all significant proposals and projects currently under construction.

Under Construction

Amway Center

New events center to replace the Amway Arena, home of the Orlando Magic. Broke ground July 25, 2008 and expected to be completed October 10, 2010.

arena.jpg

Amway Center Parking Garage

Completion expected by October 2010.

parking1xq5.jpg

Dr. P. Phillips Performing Arts Center (Phase I)

Groundbreaking in July 2010. 2,800-seat amplified hall and 300-seat theater expected to be completed in 2012.

41764627.jpg

GAI Building

7-stories, 105,000 sq. ft. of office space expected to be completed in the 1st quarter of 2011.

111708_GAI_ViewfromNortheast-1.jpg

2010-07-01-1.jpg

First United Methodist Church of Orlando

Architectural%20Rendering.jpg

Orlando Regional Medical Center Building

5-stories, 150,135 sq. ft. of Class A medical office space.

OH_MOB_2.jpg

Proposals

Oasis on Robinson

2-phase mixed project at the corner of E. Robinson and N. Summerlin, on the site of the Day Building, a 7-story 84,000 sq. ft. office building constructed in 1976. Phase I consists of a 63,500 sq. ft. 100-foot tall building with ground floor retail, three levels of parking, and three levels of office. Phase II requires the demolition of the existing Day Building, constructing in its place a 181,000 sq. ft. building 135-feet tall with ground floor retail, 3 levels of parking above the ground floor, six levels of office space and up to 30 residential dwelling units. Phase II also includes a pocket park to provide a buffer for the residents of the 30-units from the Phase I office building.

oasis1.jpg

55 Columbia St.

6-story (100') 138,000 sq. ft. office building on Columbia St. between Lucerne Terrance and S. Orange Ave., in the neighborhood of ORMC and Winnie Palmer.

55columbia.jpg

Lymmo Expansion

Expansion of the free bus service in Downtown Orlando. A 15-month long study is to begin in February 2011 to determine costs, routes, and rights-of-way issues, after which a timeline for the expansion will be determined.

643121-300-0-2.jpg

Creative Village

3.6 million sq. ft. - 2,000 residential units - 2 hotels with 250 rooms - 9,000-car parking garage - urban village of art galleries, digital media and technology related companies, retailers, students, and a mix of residents on the site of the Orlando Centroplex.

CV_main.jpg

Posted

Nice! I saw UrbanPlanet announce a new Orlando moderator on twitter. You were one of the people I figured it might be. Glad to see we have some administration here again.

The next year or two will be very exciting to discuss!

Congratulations on becoming a moderator!

Posted

Thanks castorvx! Glad to have you aboard our forum. Keep the great photo updates coming!

Posted

A few others we can add to the master list are:

Under Construction:

Orlando Regional Medical Center Building

Link to project website

Proposals:

Creative Village (status: City and developer have applied for grant TIGER II funding):

Project Website

Posted

I thought Magnolia Circle was NO LONGER happening.....where did you hear that it was still one of the proposals that might still happen?

Posted

A few others we can add to the master list are:

Thanks for the links, Praha! I wanted to include those projects as well but had trouble finding the renderings for them. I just updated the list with the new info.

I thought Magnolia Circle was NO LONGER happening.....where did you hear that it was still one of the proposals that might still happen?

Personally, I honestly don't think that Magnolia Circle will come to fruition but I decided to include it in the proposals list because it has popped up again on the Municipal Planning Board's most recent agenda.

Posted

Refresh my memory, have we seen these renderings for a proposed W Hotel at Lake Eola? I know there has been much discussion about this in the past with some different plans but these images don't look familiar to me:

WHOTEL_1.jpg

WHOTEL_2.jpg

WHOTEL_3.jpg

Posted

I noticed those too and that was surprising to me. The previous images were similar, but less glassy. A place the possibility of a W Hotel downtown high on the potential list considering Starwood is already familiar with the downtown Orlando market (former owners of the Westin Grand Bohemian).

Posted

I am sure this is not getting built, I would not get my hopes up if I were you.

Posted

I am sure this is not getting built, I would not get my hopes up if I were you.

Care to share your knowledge on this?

Posted

Care to share your knowledge on this?

Wasn't this project tied in with Cameron Kuhn? (I seem to remember that it was and henceforth dismissed the likelihood of it taking place in light of his fall from grace; although Cameron is one of the developers I respect in town for leaving downtown in better shape than he found it, the last I heard his big project for now was wagons selling crepes). The old Masonic Lodge on the site is padlocked at the moment and the historic old house is currently being used by the Florida Tea Party for temporary offices during the 2010 election season. Maybe Jack or someone knows something, but count me as a skeptic on this one for the foreseeable future.

Posted

Will this project honestly see the light of day? I'd love for this to increase the skyline density around the courthouse area.

Posted

The people behind the project seem pretty serious. The permit expired last year and they are trying to renew it, unless there's another reason to renew the permit on the property without actually building anything. I surely hope it does comes to fruition, in terms of jobs, and increasing downtown population density. I think it would also be a welcomed addition. But I don't expect downtown Orlando to go through another wave of construction until after the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center and SunRail have been active for at least 2-3 years, sometime around 2016.

What I truly want to see happen is the demolition and reconstruction of the Centennial Bank building on Orange Ave. it is smack dab in the middle of the city and needs some structural updating.

Posted

The people behind the project seem pretty serious. The permit expired last year and they are trying to renew it, unless there's another reason to renew the permit on the property without actually building anything. I surely hope it does comes to fruition, in terms of jobs, and increasing downtown population density. I think it would also be a welcomed addition. But I don't expect downtown Orlando to go through another wave of construction until after the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center and SunRail have been active for at least 2-3 years, sometime around 2016.

What I truly want to see happen is the demolition and reconstruction of the Centennial Bank building on Orange Ave. it is smack dab in the middle of the city and needs some structural updating.

Entitlements create value with a minimum investment. They are positioning the property to sell it.

Posted

I was looking at the Baker Barrios website portfolio and came across this project: Baker Barrios - Center for Science

There is no information about this project but the rendering shows what appears to be the proposed 55 Columbia Street medical building. Could this be an Orlando project?

Posted

I was looking at the Baker Barrios website portfolio and came across this project: Baker Barrios - Center for Science

There is no information about this project but the rendering shows what appears to be the proposed 55 Columbia Street medical building. Could this be an Orlando project?

Certainly looks like there is enough room for the entire project on that site.

Posted

I think the Center of Science is Lake Nona.

Posted

I don't think so, the building being built at 55 Columbia St. is featured in the masterplan of the project.

Also, I think it would be pretty cool if there was a Center of Science in close proximity to Downtown Orlando. Employees who want to live closer to work would take up the residential inventory that's remaining in Downtown and prevent increased sprawl in the nether-regions of Orange County.

I wonder if there are any articles about a future Center of Science and who'll be sponsoring it because the name sounds pretty generic and dull.

Posted

GAI Updates August

2010-08-01-1.jpg

2010-08-01-2.jpg

2010-08-01-3.jpg

Posted

Sees like a new building is on the planning block near downtown Orlando, city documents show.

Read more: New building on tap near downtown, city documents show - Charlotte Business Journal

More on the company: www.cthsu.com

Interesting point about the parking situation in downtown. With garages like Jefferson sitting nearly completely empty (yet staffed, fully lit and operation for the small amount of people that park there), you'd wonder if the city couldn't extend some kind of discounted parking incentive for businesses moving into the core.

Seems like a no-brainer, but maybe the issue of the parking costs is being overstated.

That said, the parking costs was a major reason the company I work for moved out of downtown Orlando in February of this year. We left, emptied 3 floors of the Wachovia tower at Central & Orange and moved our 200 employees to brand new building by Millennia. As a resident of downtown, I wasn't happy with this, but parking was costing like $30k/month or something.