Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I dunno about that. They're taking out several interchanges in downtown as it is. I don't think FDOT will be adding too many more interchanges between Anderson and Maitland Blvd. Flow on I-4 would be pretty mucked up if they added more interchanges I think.

I dunno about that. They're taking out several interchanges in downtown as it is. I don't think FDOT will be adding too many more interchanges between Anderson and Maitland Blvd. Flow on I-4 would be pretty mucked up if they added more interchanges I think.

I use the Lee Road interchange everyday. It is pathetic. There isn't as much traffic as 436, but so many people make immediate right and then left onto Wymore that it backs up the traffic going east on Lee.

They don't even need to build a full interchange. They could build an off ramp from I-4 East onto Wymore just like the Par exit and that problem would be solved.

it won't if it's done right. Kennedy needs an interchange. so does Wymore and Central Parkway. there's too much traffic on 436 and 414 as it is, and once the Apopka bypass opens, 414 will be twice as busy.

LAKE MARY BLVD. EXTENSION

not sure if anyone posted this yet, but they extendedn LMB east to curve around the south side of Sanford and then due north along Sanford's eastern edge to make a direct connection with 415 where it hits 46. brilliant. I took it yesterday coming in off of 415 from Daytona. What a surprise. And we're talking 4 lanes; median; sewer; and sidewalks.

OSI also has an entrance off of this extension.

LAKE MARY BLVD. EXTENSION

not sure if anyone posted this yet, but they extendedn LMB east to curve around the south side of Sanford and then due north along Sanford's eastern edge to make a direct connection with 415 where it hits 46. brilliant. I took it yesterday coming in off of 415 from Daytona. What a surprise. And we're talking 4 lanes; median; sewer; and sidewalks.

OSI also has an entrance off of this extension.

Yea they extended the dirt road that connected to OSI i took it from New Smyrna to UCF. It saved all sorts of time!

$425M for roads is on the line today

The region's toll-road agency likely will decide today to borrow $425 million to widen expressways, add interchanges and design a parkway through environmentally sensitive land.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ahem, where are the community input? votes? tax dollars? who is paying the bond back?

$425M for roads is on the line today

The region's toll-road agency likely will decide today to borrow $425 million to widen expressways, add interchanges and design a parkway through environmentally sensitive land.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ahem, where are the community input? votes? tax dollars? who is paying the bond back?

A quick, slightly tongue in cheek answer to a few of your questions.

Vote ... yes, everytime you CHOOSE to use the toll road you vote "yes, this is worth it to me".

Tax ... no ... tolls are voluntary (take SR50 if you don't want to pay). We voted years ago not to be taxed so what's left is tolls.

Who pays ... voluntary users

I say voluntary because nobody makes us use these roads.

Expressway Authority OKs $425M bond sale

Bonds will pay for upgrades in the 100-mile system.

Jay Hamburg {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted May 23, 2007, 11:52 AM EDT

so it is 200 mil per year income from toll. 1.2 bi to finish the work. Are they gonna stop collecting toll after 6 or 7 years?

so it is 200 mil per year income from toll. 1.2 bi to finish the work. Are they gonna stop collecting toll after 6 or 7 years?

ahhh... don't forget about the general maintenance needed to keep the current roads going

and if they decided to just get rid of the tolls, then they would have to add a toll to pay to destruct the toll plazas :huh:

Commentary:

before 2001, there were two "barriers" on I-4 in the form of restrictive bridges: the St. Johns River bridge and the US 192 overpass, each in the opposite corner of the metro.

today, ever since maybe 3-4 weeks ago, the US 192 bridge has been completely opened up so now traffic flows freely on the newly widened I-4. night and day. and on the other end, I-4 is pretty much done up to 472 and they already dug up the easement and are demolishing bridges up to the SR 44 overpass en route to I-4 widening. SR 44 widening was completed recently and one fairly soon will be able to take a widened I-4 to a divided SR 44 all the way to NSB w/o much problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if the current I-4 East exit to Anderson will be closed as part of the new I-4/408 interchange project?

I know a new exit will be created from I-4 Eastbound to downtown (dumping off an intersection of South and Garland), but looking at the plans I dont see how this new exit will work with the current anderson st. exit, but there is no mention of closing it (in the description or drawings).

http://trans4mation.org/assets/UserFiles/D...yer_English.pdf

Edited by pip

Anyone know if the current I-4 East exit to Anderson will be closed as part of the new I-4/408 interchange project?

I know a new exit will be created from I-4 Eastbound to downtown (dumping off an intersection of South and Garland), but looking at the plans I dont see how this new exit will work with the current anderson st. exit, but there is no mention of closing it (in the description or drawings).

http://trans4mation.org/assets/UserFiles/D...yer_English.pdf

My understanding is that Garland exit will replace the Anderson one. I think that was the idea behind making South and Anderson two way. If you look at the rendering there's no eastbound exit from I-4.

My understanding is that Garland exit will replace the Anderson one. I think that was the idea behind making South and Anderson two way. If you look at the rendering there's no eastbound exit from I-4.

The new ramp for 408 East to I-4 East looks kind of like a tight curve for today's standards. It may just look that way due to it not being completed. Anyone know when the next big trans4mation project is and when it's set to start? I've heard the Fairbanks curves, Maitland Blvd, and 436. Aslo does anyone know if the new I-4 will change from concrete to asphalt like the 408 is doing or if we are keeping the conrete??

don't know about the concrete. saw the map.

if the final buildout of the interchange never happens, hypothetically, the most dangerous portion of the interchange is being corrected now:

1. 408E to I-4E/ I-4W: the double trumpet where cars change from left to right and vice versa when you exit off of 408E. Then, when you try to get on I-4E, you can't egress b/c the Anderson St. exit is right there also--- 2 extremely dangerous parts of the road.

however, what about the I-4W to 408W section to get rid of the double trumpet? that's probably in phase II or whatever. that's bad too, but that's the only bad part of the exit, b/c taking 408W to I-4W will be easier once they purge that portion of the double trumpet in this redesign phase.

True, the new renderings don't show the existing eastbound exit from I-4 to Anderson, but it would be difficult to see since the new exit to South/Garland is in the way, which btw supports the argument that it would replace the existing exit since it would seem to be covering the same ground. Just wondering why the exit is not marked as being removed on the map and not listed in the list of ramps to be closed.

now that the dot has cleared the lot on garland behind 860 north orange, today they began demolishing the glass building that occupied the hand surgery associates who moved to 801 north orange. i guess that means the phase of i-4 redevelopment north of colonial to ivanhoe blvd. is beginning? when do you think the pedestrian bridge will begin construction? that will be pretty cool.

now that the dot has cleared the lot on garland behind 860 north orange, today they began demolishing the glass building that occupied the hand surgery associates who moved to 801 north orange. i guess that means the phase of i-4 redevelopment north of colonial to ivanhoe blvd. is beginning? when do you think the pedestrian bridge will begin construction? that will be pretty cool.

where's the ped bridge going?

as far as i can tell from page 124 of www.metroplanorlando.com/site/upload/documents/TIP_0711_Dec06.pdf, the i-4 pedestrian bridge and ivanhoe gateway goes from new hampsire st. to ivanhoe blvd. across lake ivanhoe adjacent to i-4

That seems like a strange use of $, but maybe it's a relic of the now abandoned trail around Lake Ivanhoe?