Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

the 436 improvements solve absolutely nothing. they widen the easement for I-4 underneath---yes. but the euro-looking criss cross exit ramps add nothing to improve traffic.

That's called a SPUI - a Single Point Urban Interchange. ("Criss cross" when I first saw it I thought you were referring to braided ramps.) As noted by others it's a major improvement for 436 - turning the interchange from a diamond into a SPUI means that there is only one traffic signal, instead of two.

Notice also that the interchange at the top of the pictures is changed to not be a through street across 436, deleting a second signal as well.

It said on I-4 that July 1st a new left exit from EB I-4 to South Street will open. Are they planning on having South two way by then or are will you only be able to turn into Paramorre?

This is all getting so confusing! It's like the entire city is being rebuilt and redesigned. Looks like we are entering the phase Atlanta was in from the 70's to the 90's when it was perpetually under construction for 25 years! :dontknow:

No, I've heard of plans for 436 and Red Bug ... not HB. What do you see?

Just for the last week or so. I've seen city workers digging up the pavement on the road for the left turn lane onto Howell Branch heading towards Aloma. Police have also been there blocking the lanes. Maybe they're just doing repairs, but it hasn't been pretty.

Anyone know what's going on with the 436 and Howell Branch intersection?

As best I can tell from Seminole's site, it's only minor improvements being made at this point, though I can't determine exactly what those improvements are.

On the other hand, in the state's 20-year plan, ultimately an interchange is planned for that intersection.

As best I can tell from Seminole's site, it's only minor improvements being made at this point, though I can't determine exactly what those improvements are.

On the other hand, in the state's 20-year plan, ultimately an interchange is planned for that intersection.

From the Seminole gov site:

436-howell.jpg

We're about to get several new favorite ramps when this interchange is completed. 90-foot tall overpasses right next to downtown? I'll take it!

Very exciting roads ahead! And travelers passing through will finally notice "our" real Orlando exists and I actually believe many people will be stunned or amazed!

That seems like a strange use of $, but maybe it's a relic of the now abandoned trail around Lake Ivanhoe?

nope, new project. The state is kicking in enhancement dollars for the project. They estimate it will cost $15M or some such. FDOT had Metroplan's B/PAC add the PD&E phase to their priorities list. It'll be a nifty gateway feature into the downtown; preliminary sketches I've seen are pretty snazzy. And yeah, it's a strange use of money, but I can't really say more than that.

We're about to get several new favorite ramps when this interchange is completed. 90-foot tall overpasses right next to downtown? I'll take it!

I agree but still, the I-4 dirt embankments running through downtown are out of place, especially between the upcoming, revitalized Church Street Station and the (hopefully) new arena. It also damages any hopes for Parramore and whatever kind of village they want to create around the old arena.

nope, new project. The state is kicking in enhancement dollars for the project. They estimate it will cost $15M or some such. FDOT had Metroplan's B/PAC add the PD&E phase to their priorities list. It'll be a nifty gateway feature into the downtown; preliminary sketches I've seen are pretty snazzy. And yeah, it's a strange use of money, but I can't really say more than that.

Feel free to post said sketches if you can :lol: I'm having trouble imagining it.