Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

it will probably be like the 414-Forrest City Road interchange, but with access road frontage I'm sure for Colonial Drive businesses.

I suspect that 50 will temporarily occupy some land to the south (where Heinzelman Ford and Steak & Ale used to be) until the overpass is complete. So there really isn't much in the way of business on that side of 50 (depending on how far east and west the overpass extends). The north side bussinesses aren't major concerns with the Sport Authority plaza with former gas station/used car out-parcel as the biggest business.

I suspect that 50 will temporarily occupy some land to the south (where Heinzelman Ford and Steak & Ale used to be) until the overpass is complete. So there really isn't much in the way of business on that side of 50 (depending on how far east and west the overpass extends). The north side bussinesses aren't major concerns with the Sport Authority plaza with former gas station/used car out-parcel as the biggest business.

The property that was Heinzelman/MacInerney/Greenway Ford was is being developed into a shopping plaza. Odds are that the ramps to turn onto SR 436 from 50 will provide some access to the shopping plazas. They better build something there. I hate to think that another Dairy Queen was lost for no reason.

Aren't they also planning to widen S.R. 50 from Ocoee all the way out to Clermont?

I could swear I remember hearing about that some time ago

I'm not sure it's going that far, but it's at least going thru Ocoee, yes. 3 lanes each way, divided median with a bike lane also.

However it's several years away.

Edited by neon9

Aren't they also planning to widen S.R. 50 from Ocoee all the way out to Clermont?

I could swear I remember hearing about that some time ago

I believe they said as soon as SR27 gets 6-laned (which is pretty soon), SR50 wouold get widened to 6 lanes from SR27 to the OC border.

136599.jpg

"Florida Department of Transportation crews are plan to begin demolishing the remaining Anderson Street Bridge over I-4 later this month. The portions of the bridge over the eastbound I-4 lanes will be removed first, with the aid of rolling roadblocks. Rolling roadblocks are used to pace traffic as a safe speed, providing a gap in traffic to allow work activities to be performed. After all of the eastbound sections have been removed, crews will move their cranes and other equipment to the westbound lanes, again using rolling roadblocks. The work will take place between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. and will take approximately two weeks to complete.)"

Are they really tring to expand I-4 their or what in that picture?

They can't expand it up by 436.

No, I-4 expansion will come latter. This is part of the I-4 408 interchange rebuild. They aren't expanding I-4 as part of this. The interchange also includes a rebuild of the Anderson street I-4 interchange and a new Anderson Street Bridge.

Edited by cwetteland

Does that Shopping Plaza have a name yet and any Tenants/Ouparcels yet?

Steak and Ale/Dairy Queen was on South Eastside of 436/50 while Heinzelman/MacInerney/Greenway Ford was on the South Westside of 436/50.

How about North Westside of 436/50?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/community...oad-436.html-no more stoplight anymore.

the car dealership was SE and DQ was SW. I don't think they'll build anything on the NW parcel/tract--- it depends on the size of the interchange.

Theirs also the one at 436 and Red Bud Road and 436 and 1792 that will need to aquire property.

the one at 17/92 has been talked about for 20 years. I see that one happening before the Red Bug interchange. Red Bug is going to be very tricky... or not... maybe they'll just make 436 the overpass and loop Red Bug traffic underneath with ramps and what not. it will kill business at the plaza on the west side of 436.

I'm not sure it's going that far, but it's at least going thru Ocoee, yes. 3 lanes each way, divided median with a bike lane also.

However it's several years away.

Update:I talked with someone from DOT yesterday and they said they are waiting on matching funds from Ocoee to widen 50. I have talked to Ocoee and they would just as soon never see 50 get upgraded. So don't count on this happening anytime soon. To Ocoee, this is just a expressway to hurry people thru their town and they don't seem to want that.

Update:I talked with someone from DOT yesterday and they said they are waiting on matching funds from Ocoee to widen 50. I have talked to Ocoee and they would just as soon never see 50 get upgraded. So don't count on this happening anytime soon. To Ocoee, this is just a expressway to hurry people thru their town and they don't seem to want that.

it makes sense since it's "State Road" 50. By comparison, in Daytona, the replacement of the Seabreeze Bridge (local road) was mainly with local $$$ while the replacement of US 92 Bridge 1/4 mile to the south (Broadway/ ISB) was not.

With their logic, all the major state and US highways going thru town would be dilapidated b/c local $$$ couldn't be secured.

it makes sense since it's "State Road" 50. By comparison, in Daytona, the replacement of the Seabreeze Bridge (local road) was mainly with local $$$ while the replacement of US 92 Bridge 1/4 mile to the south (Broadway/ ISB) was not.

With their logic, all the major state and US highways going thru town would be dilapidated b/c local $$$ couldn't be secured.

That is what was strange, typically at least 90% of the costs in building/upgrading a road are covered by the state or feds. I believe 90/10 is how interstates are usually funded.

However that may still be the case here and it's that 10% matching that Ocoee won't come off of. The bridge over Lake Lotta alone would be several million dollars, so the entire project could easily cost Ocoee a million or 2 even at that rate.

136797.jpg

136832.jpg

"Motorists in downtown Orlando may encounter rolling roadblocks nightly in both directions on I-4 starting on Wednesday, Jan. 16 from 11 p.m. at night until 5 a.m. in the morning. Rolling roadblocks are used to pace traffic at a safe speed, providing a gap in traffic to allow work activities to be performed. These rolling roadblocks may continue each night through Saturday morning, Jan. 19, as crews demolish the old Anderson Street bridge over I-4 to make way for a new bridge. The sections of the old Anderson Street bridge over eastbound I-4 will be removed first.

The rolling blocks are scheduled to begin at John Young Parkway for eastbound I-4 drivers and at Princeton Street for westbound I-4 drivers. During this time the following entrance ramps will be closed:

To westbound I-4 from

* Ivanhoe Boulevard.

* Colonial Drive

* Hughey Avenue/Amelia Avenue

To eastbound I-4 from

* Orange Blossom Trail

* Michigan Sreet

* Kaley Street

* SR 408

Also, one or two I-4 lanes may be closed in either direction from Church Street to Gore Street nightly from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m., Jan. 16 through Jan. 29.

This work is part of FDOT's $118.9 million I-4/SR 408 interim interchange improvements project, the interstate's largest roadway project in Central Florida to date. It is a partnership between FDOT and the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority. The project adds a flyover ramp from each direction of SR 408 to eastbound I-4 that will reduce an existing bottleneck and decrease travel time for commuters. The three-year project began April 3, 2006"

136797.jpg

136832.jpg

"Motorists in downtown Orlando may encounter rolling roadblocks nightly in both directions on I-4 starting on Wednesday, Jan. 16 from 11 p.m. at night until 5 a.m. in the morning. Rolling roadblocks are used to pace traffic at a safe speed, providing a gap in traffic to allow work activities to be performed. These rolling roadblocks may continue each night through Saturday morning, Jan. 19, as crews demolish the old Anderson Street bridge over I-4 to make way for a new bridge. The sections of the old Anderson Street bridge over eastbound I-4 will be removed first.

The rolling blocks are scheduled to begin at John Young Parkway for eastbound I-4 drivers and at Princeton Street for westbound I-4 drivers. During this time the following entrance ramps will be closed:

To westbound I-4 from

* Ivanhoe Boulevard.

* Colonial Drive

* Hughey Avenue/Amelia Avenue

To eastbound I-4 from

* Orange Blossom Trail

* Michigan Sreet

* Kaley Street

* SR 408

Also, one or two I-4 lanes may be closed in either direction from Church Street to Gore Street nightly from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m., Jan. 16 through Jan. 29.

This work is part of FDOT's $118.9 million I-4/SR 408 interim interchange improvements project, the interstate's largest roadway project in Central Florida to date. It is a partnership between FDOT and the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority. The project adds a flyover ramp from each direction of SR 408 to eastbound I-4 that will reduce an existing bottleneck and decrease travel time for commuters. The three-year project began April 3, 2006"

I don't get it. Does this mean the new Amelia Entrance Ramp stays open? Or by Robinson Street, they're implying the Amelia replacment for Robinson will be closed?

from the Turnpike website:

MAINLINE TURNPIKE WIDENING PROJECT (MILEPOSTS 260-270)

This $214 project, scheduled to begin in March 2007 and completed by April 2011, adds two lanes in each direction between Interstate 4 and Beulah Road. Construction includes widening the existing bridges over Interstate 4 and Apopka-Vineland Road, replacing the Kirkman Road and Gotha Road bridges over Florida's Turnpike, and replacing the bridge over Beulah Road. Additionally, Florida's Turnpike will make improvements at the Interstate 4, SR 408 and SR 429 interchanges. Auxiliary lanes also will be added between SR 408 and SR 429.

-------------

I'm pretty excited about this project, b/c they are making the TNPK an 8-lane highway from 528 all the way to the 429 interchange, not just to I-4 as I originally thought. what a huge transformation this will have when drivers enter the metro from the north and south. huge. and from what I read in an earlier report, the TNPK will be 6-laned throughout all of Orange County, which means it should be 6 lanes all the way to the SR 50 Oakland exit to the north, and 6-laned all the way and right to the Osceola Parkway exit to the south.

from a backwards-@ss road to one of CFLA's widest & improved roads. bravo to FDOT.

Edited by JRS1