Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I'm not overly bothered by this.  Sure I'd love a grand project, but Lexington court is such on the periphery.  What are you going to attract to Amelia and Hughey?  Once DPAC is finished, that area is basically done until (if) Creative Village gets going.  That far north, I-4 is still a divider.

• Like 1

County says it's waiting until March to open the road.

Yep.  I just heard about that as well.  I cannot wait to use Palm Parkway to Fenton and back again.  I am drooling over this project and the development implications for the immediate area.  its not-yet-built counterpart ala Major Blvd to Grand National will do wonders up there as well.

Yep.  I just heard about that as well.  I cannot wait to use Palm Parkway to Fenton and back again.  I am drooling over this project and the development implications for the immediate area.  its not-yet-built counterpart ala Major Blvd to Grand National will do wonders up there as well.

IIRC Grand National is going up with I-4 ultimate.  I could be wrong though.

i cannot wait either. however, my ultimate dream is going to be when they extend fenton to apopka vineland and they eventually turn fenton into a full I-4 interchange. im hoping the interchange will happen with the ultimate I-4 expansion. 

the interchange and fenton expansion will single handedly  shave 10-15 minutes of commute time to work each way for me. 

Edited by shardoon

i cannot wait either. however, my ultimate dream is going to be when they extend fenton to apopka vineland and they eventually turn fenton into a full I-4 interchange. im hoping the interchange will happen with the ultimate I-4 expansion. 

the interchange and fenton expansion will single handedly  shave 10-15 minutes of commute time to work each way for me. 

I forgot about that.  yeah, its supposed to run along the property line of the Hilton Grand Vacation development off of Palm Pkwy.  It

I thought this property was designated for high rise residential for a few years now.  there was a billboard up behind the Paramount for a long time.  I think the original proposal was a 19 story apt bldg.  So, I am assuming its the same people deciding the market is ripe to move forward.

Depressing. Land of the low rises.

I understand where you're coming from, but the true definition of urbanity has more to do with the activity at street level than than towers in the sky. See Dallas and Houston for examples. I would love to see more mixed use development on smaller scale within the CBD on a block by block basis. That would do wonders for the street life of the city.

Lexington Court - updates submission to ARB drops it from 6 stories to 5, from 104 up to 109 residential units, and cuts commercial out though will have ground floor administrative and amenity uses.

While I'm aware that the Manhattan market is very different than Orlando, I find in surprising that the number of units has been increased. What we're seeing here is that new construction is less units, but drastically bigger. 3-5+ bedroom units are impossible to find here. Given that Orlando residents are accostomed to larger amounts of square footage per person, I would be building the largest units possible to provide a real alternative to the mega mansions being built in Lake Nona/Dr. Phillips/Windermere/Lake Mary/Heathrow Areas. Coupled with an amenity base including spas or onsite restaurants, day care centers, etc... There's no way that an urban mansion couldn't compete head to head with the suburban housing dollar.

Edited by mrh3
  • Like 1

I understand where you're coming from, but the true definition of urbanity has more to do with the activity at street level than than towers in the sky. See Dallas and Houston for examples. I would love to see more mixed use development on smaller scale within the CBD on a block by block basis. That would do wonders for the street life of the city.

Don't get me wrong. I understand what's happening and why. I just find it depressing when you continually see the collapse of ambition on projects -- sort of an extension of my depressing feelings towards everything development related since 2007, whether its private development or unambitious infrastructure projects. We live in an era of pessimism. I do hope the infill goes a long way to improve downtown Orlando's vibrancy. The large number of residential units being added is encouraging, which is something I alluded to earlier in this thread.

While I'm aware that the Manhattan market is very different than Orlando, I find in surprising that the number of units has been increased. What we're seeing here is that new construction is less units, but drastically bigger. 3-5+ bedroom units are impossible to find here. Given that Orlando residents are accostomed to larger amounts of square footage per person, I would be building the largest units possible to provide a real alternative to the mega mansions being built in Lake Nona/Dr. Phillips/Windermere/Lake Mary/Heathrow Areas. Coupled with an amenity base including spas or onsite restaurants, day care centers, etc... There's no way that an urban mansion couldn't compete head to head with the suburban housing dollar.

I wonder if there's much demand for large units? It seems most of the people who want to live downtown are young and dating age. The bigger the place, the more roommates they need to split the rent with. I'm sure 1 bed units are perpetually sold out. I know my rent in 55 West has risen significantly over the last 4 leases and I'm sure they'd have no problem filling my unit if I left.