20 rooms in a 300 square foot apartment

I find this a very innovative idea in maximizing space in a small apartment. You might ask how can 20 rooms fit in a tiny 300 square foot apartment? Well the walls move. Instead of going from room to room, you move the walls accordingly to how you are using the space. All 20 rooms use the same exact space. If you want to eat in the kitchen, you just move the walls to open up kitchen space. If you are ready to go to bed, you move the walls again to change the kitchen space into a bedroom. Very cool idea for a city notoriously known for tiny apartments.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2010/08/04/rao.hk.flexible.flat.cnn?hpt=T2

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow... little freaked out by the idea. 300 square feet, i think I would go insane. But watching the video, he actually did a pretty fantastic job. Looks great, although not particularly comfortable. Not such a bad solution for urban living. On a practical level would work great for executive / corporate apartments. Even though I live most of the time in NYC, thus accustomed to small spaces, I much prefer escaping and spending time up our house in CT - must have outdoors.

Thanks for the post and the video link.

• 2 weeks later...

that is really quite clever.

I think 350SF is a bit extreme, but then again you are comfortable with what you know. Id be interested to see some of the concepts used in his apartment applied in 500 SF apartments, or even in 800 sf places.

I know in my old condo, I would have liked to shrink the bedrooms in order to have a larger living room some times, and others a larger kitchen would have been nice. I have a silly amount of space now, but I feel like most smaller places could be more intelligently designed without much work, and would have loved that before my wife and I bought our house

• 9 months later...

Must be a pain any time you are in the middle of cooking dinner and then realize you have to go to the bathroom. And how do you do any entertaining that requires you to cook food while your guests wait int he living room?

He did have some very innovative ideas, particularly for storage space. I grew up camping (soft style) where we had an RV. We would certainly do quite well with a 24 ft camper for a week, so I can definitely see people living on much less space. I think the big thing is learning to give up having so much stuff. It's a trade off- you can give up the stuff, but you end up spending more because you have to go out and buy the same thing over and over againg for infrequently used items. I wonder how green it is in the long run.

Archived