SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

You can probably log this under "things I don't care about", but it's good none-the-less.

Southpark is doing a big reno to it's interior and exterior.  Looks pretty snazzy.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article24707230.html

Their initial press release promising a big announcement this morning, makes all this all that much more underwhelming. It sounded like there we going to add a 2nd and 3rd floor and become the biggest mall in the world. Jerks.

I've heard from a reliable source that Gucci is entering the mall soon. Also, Five Guys is opening in the food court. Not sure if Showmars will be too happy about that but I'm sure it'll be a hit. The food court renderings look great. There will be more community tables and computer outlets catering to the business and school crowd.

Isn't this the second or third high end retailer that has closed up shop at Southpark?? This is not good if the mall is attempting to capture other luxury retailers!

Depends on your definition of High End... Honestly. That Ralph Lauren Store was weird, and all of their merchandise is sold at most of the Department Stores. Billy Reid scaled back their stores nationwide and have stuck to private label in the Lord & Taylor and Bloomingdales of the world. I should mention that SouthPark Mall boasts the highest $$$ per square foot in NC by a 35% margin. 

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Update: Abercrombie kids is moving in with Abercrombie & Fitch in the former American eagle spot. Bath and Body works is moving in the former Abercrombie kids spot.  Victoria's Secret is taking the old A&F spot, and Pink by Victoria's Secret is taking the old Bath&Body Works spot.  Since all these stores are under the same company it makes sense for this shuffling as it puts them in better and more foot-trafficking areas of the mall.  As I continued my investigation, to get the "scoop" on what would replace Victoria's Secret old spot, the conclusion was rather disappointing.  Old Navy! Seriously?! #SMH. Why not Forever 21? Would've been a much better choice IMO. Meanwhile Aveda is remodeling yet again. 3rd time in 5 years. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am also very surprised SouthPark STILL doesn't have a Zara.  I would also personally like to see Uniqlo and Topshop/Topman which are my go-to stores for affordable everyday clothing.  Those are two of the few places I can consistently find slim-fitting XS shirts and 28x30 pants, and, although it's nice that we have a market for some luxury boutiques, I'd much prefer SouthPark add mid-range stores where most of us can afford to shop.  I agree Old Navy doesn't belong there, though.  Seems like a strange add, especially given SouthPark's recently-announced 'upscale' renovation plans and the fact that most new Old Navy stores are being built in lower-cost suburban strip malls.

Upscale stores tend to go where other upscale stores are.   Even if uptown ends up with an 'urban' mall or just retail storefronts in general, SouthPark will be the upscale destination for quite some time.  However, in Atlanta, there are several areas.  Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza in Buckhead have always been the go to destinations for upscale shopping, but now "Buckhead Atlanta" formerly known as "The Streets of Buckhead" is becoming another hotspot.  I have a friend who will be working at the Davidoff Cigar Flagship at Buckhead Atlanta and told me that that shopping center has had a very delayed pop of business simply because of the recession.  A lot of their stores didn't open when they were supposed to.  In my opinion I think it's a lot easier when you have all the shopping whether upscale or inexpensive in one area.  In most major cities across the world (not necessarily in the U.S.), you will find that in city centers.  

Upscale stores tend to go where other upscale stores are.   Even if uptown ends up with an 'urban' mall or just retail storefronts in general, SouthPark will be the upscale destination for quite some time.  However, in Atlanta, there are several areas.  Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza in Buckhead have always been the go to destinations for upscale shopping, but now "Buckhead Atlanta" formerly known as "The Streets of Buckhead" is becoming another hotspot.  I have a friend who will be working at the Davidoff Cigar Flagship at Buckhead Atlanta and told me that that shopping center has had a very delayed pop of business simply because of the recession.  A lot of their stores didn't open when they were supposed to.  In my opinion I think it's a lot easier when you have all the shopping whether upscale or inexpensive in one area.  In most major cities across the world (not necessarily in the U.S.), you will find that in city centers.  

You are correct because Tom Ford isn't opening till next year.  Dior and a few others will open this fall The development isn't quite finished so I'm pretty sure a lot  of the stores that we're suppose to open probably will later on. 

I am also very surprised SouthPark STILL doesn't have a Zara.  I would also personally like to see Uniqlo and Topshop/Topman which are my go-to stores for affordable everyday clothing.  Those are two of the few places I can consistently find slim-fitting XS shirts and 28x30 pants, and, although it's nice that we have a market for some luxury boutiques, I'd much prefer SouthPark add mid-range stores where most of us can afford to shop.  I agree Old Navy doesn't belong there, though.  Seems like a strange add, especially given SouthPark's recently-announced 'upscale' renovation plans and the fact that most new Old Navy stores are being built in lower-cost suburban strip malls.

maybe they will get one soon Zara is going threw a major expansion.  Another flagship is opening in Soho  Houston is opening a second store. Dallas Texas is opening a second store at Northpark Mall. 

I thought Nordstroms in Southpark has some top shop stuff?   I know they just opened 2 stores recently in Atlanta and Houston 

• 3 weeks later...

maybe they will get one soon Zara is going threw a major expansion.  Another flagship is opening in Soho  Houston is opening a second store. Dallas Texas is opening a second store at Northpark Mall. 

I thought Nordstroms in Southpark has some top shop stuff?   I know they just opened 2 stores recently in Atlanta and Houston 

Nordstrom at SouthPark has carried Top Shop for women for a while.  They just started carrying Top Shop for men last week!  :)