SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

While these upscale stores give a city a certan panache, they are too expensive for almost everyone. How many of us drop $1000 or more on a suit jacket or $1500 on a handbag. Boston has all of these stores and more. Many are downtown and make for great window shopping. The truth for me is I buy almost all my clothes at Filenes Basement at 30 to 70% off the already close-out price.

Yeah, the South Park district has been around for long enough now (~40 years since the first houses were built there), it is about time for some neo-urban things to appear and fill in the gaps... which is actually happening now, and will likely accelerate in the near future.

I think that as the population demographic begins to shift, you will see a less suburban mindset from that area. Remember the lovely mini-bus system that South Park acquired (in addition to the main CATS buses)--the one that only two people rode for that entire week? :D I think that in a few years, that idea might be a lot more successful.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The construction continues at SouthPark Mall. I went out there last week and took a couple photos...they are not very good...but they will give you an idea of what is going on there.

Main Entrance::

maindist.JPG

mainpark.JPG

mainclose.JPG

mainperspective.JPG

Dillard's...this is the only part of the mall that has not been renovated yet. This gives you an idea of what the entire mall used to look like on the outside...white brick. This is the original exterior. Dillard's is working on renovation plans right now...expect to see construciton begin soon.

dillards.JPG

Belk...this is their flagship store. I tired to get a better pic of the entrance, which is actually kinda neat...but it didn't turn out well. This pic is taken from the top of the parking deck...so you only see the top of a 4 level store.

belk.JPG

Nordstrom.,...the newest anchor addition to SouthPark.

nord.JPG

Galyn's...this is still under construction. This is where the Sear's used to be. Notice the skyline in the background. In the foreground is where Neiman Marcus will go.

gayln.JPG

Hect's also just completed their store renovation and expansion.

hect.JPG

Here are some bonus shots of some of the buildings that surround the mall:::

Wachovia Branch:

wach.JPG

The 2 story McD's::

mcd.JPG

Here is the Rotunda building with the Symphany Park in the foreground.

rotunda.JPG

And here is a pic of the nice treelined sidewalk that surrounds the mall property.

path.JPG

I didn't realize how detached Galyans would be!  What is the plan for that wing?  Will it eventually connect, or will that remain detached like that?

Yeah...it will be detached...they are building the new food court at that end of the building...and there will be an outdoor plaza that connects Galyan's with the interior mall.

Edited by uptownliving

So Neimans is pretty close to being confirmed?

Southpark is definitely a unique suburban district. The mature trees take the edge off of what could be a sterile setting. Southpark could have a buckhead style future ahead of it.

The Galyans and plaza area are an attempt to compete with newer malls that have the fake mainstreet outdoor areas...ala Southpoint

• 3 weeks later...

I was out ot South Park Mall yesterday (July 3rd), and these rennovations are quite impressive. There are some areas that aren't quite finished, and it looks like several stores have yet to move in. After walking through the mall and driving through the area, I felt like this is the next Buckhead.

After walking through the mall and driving through the area, I felt like this is the next Buckhead.

No complaints here! I worry that Southpark is taking all of the good retail away from downtown though. 8-( I doubt we'll ever see a Nordstrom in DT Charlotte because of the one at Southpark, unless things switch hands at some point and death looms over Southpark for such things. And dang it, if we can't get a Bennigan's restaurant and a Marshall Field's department store somewhere around here I'm going to go absolutely crazy at some point!

I felt like this is the next Buckhead.

You're right. I see SouthPark's first residential high-rise coming in the near future. Possibly a residential/hotel high-rise. I think that the tide is starting to turn from the NIMBY's that held SouthPark back for so long. I think that area residents and city leaders should come together to form a solid plan for SouthPark that will create a more dense, urban neighborhood that is pedestrian friendly. Morrison Ave. could be a great strip to walk down if it was properly developed. The Mall is going to develop the lot on the corner of Morrison and Sharon. It is supposed to be outdoor retail. It would be great if that retail was open both to the street and the mall providing a connection between the two. Pedestrian friendly development could take place on the other side of Morrison too replacing the older buildings on that side of the street and that could also lead into the specialty shoppes there. Morrison could become a terrific main thoroughfare for SouthPark. Harris Teeter could do a little renovation and create a second entrance on the corner of Morrison and Sharon as well to help connect Morrocroft to the mix. This would all of course lead down to Symphony Park. This would also provide a walk-able connection for Spectrum

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought a residential mid or high rise was already in the works?

Yeah, The Pinnacle, but I would call that more of a midrise. I don't remember how many floors that was. SouthPark could use something a little more dramatic (read: taller) though.

• 3 weeks later...