Scaleybark Station Area Projects

kermit

I can't believe they couldn't find a space for the iconic Queen Park sign.  Typical Charlotte developers.

I have been looking for a good contact number for the people from the "Save Our Signs" campaign.  They successfully saved the JFG sign a couple of years ago, and I thought they may be helpful in saving this one if it is true that it will come down.  I am however having a hard time finding any contact info. 

Do you know for sure that the Queen Park sign is coming down as a result of the development?  Also, does anyone know someone from "S.O.S." organization that may be able to help? 

I think the best bet is to get http://www.historiccharlotte.org/ involved. I think they helped spearhead getting the JFG sign moved - but keep in mind that only happened with help from JFG itself to the tune of a few ten-thousand dollars. This sign would be HUGELY expensive to move - I suspect the only reason it's still standing is that no one has ponied up the cost of demolition yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I tweeted last week that the Queen Park sign should be preserved and moved somewhere -- like maybe VBGB.  VBGB re-tweeted it -- so I take it they would be interested in having it.

Today I saw an DH Griffin crew at the sign at 7:30am-ish.  Don't know what they were doing, but they had a stepladder and also were digging at the base with shovels.

qp_zps4ae99392.jpg

Edit: Wrong initials on Griffin.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 2

from the Observer:

Peter Pappas said the sign's massive size and the high cost of refurbishing it made it a challenge to incorporate into the new plans. "Our design team spent a lot of time and effort trying to come up with a way to incorporate it," he said. "We just couldn't figure out a way."

D.H. Griffin Construction Co. has the sign now, he said, adding that he is unsure what the contractor plans to do with it. The construction company couldn't be reached Wednesday evening.

http://cltdevelopment.blogspot.com/2014/06/south-boulevards-queen-park-theater.html

Griffin is really good at selling scrap steel. I would not be surprised if the sign was a Freightliner transmission by next week.

Edited by kermit

Thanks all.  Here's a cool (but off-topic) PDF from HistoricCharlotte about signs in Charlotte: http://www.historiccharlotte.org/sites/default/files/Roadside%20Wonders%20Presentation%20FINAL.pdf

Reading through that is frustrating.  Two that jumped out at me:

Zack's Hamburgers - the "Zack" portion of the sign has the ability to spin but cannot because of current zoning restrictions...what?

Coffee Cup Soda Grill - "building was named a local landmark in 2007 but demolished in 2009".   LOL, that's the most Charlotte sentence ever.

from the Observer:

http://cltdevelopment.blogspot.com/2014/06/south-boulevards-queen-park-theater.html

Griffin is really good at selling scrap steel. I would not be surprised if the sign was a Freightliner transmission by next week.

So infuriating.  So Charlotte.  Let's hope that Griffin is willing to save the sign.

My Goal is rather lofty, but hopefully with tons of help we can get there...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/save-queens-park-sign-and-future-charlotte-landmarks/x/8034313

Message me if you want to be an administrator. Urban Planet wanted to save this sign years ago, now is our chance! Proceeds will go towards helping buy and refurb the sign, and contributing to the rail trail.

Edited by Guest

Clay - I would like to contribute, but I read the terms of service on IndieGoGo and it says that any contributions are non-refundable. Does that mean if I were to contribute $100 and the goal was never reached, then that was just a $100 payment to IndieGoGo with nothing in return? Just want to make sure I'm not throwing money away in case there aren't 1,000 people willing to do the same thing to relocate this sign.

Clay - I would like to contribute, but I read the terms of service on IndieGoGo and it says that any contributions are non-refundable. Does that mean if I were to contribute $100 and the goal was never reached, then that was just a $100 payment to IndieGoGo with nothing in return? Just want to make sure I'm not throwing money away in case there aren't 1,000 people willing to do the same thing to relocate this sign.

We don't have to make the 100k goal, its not an "all or nothing" campaign. While it is non refundable, however Proceeds will go to the Rail Trail if things don't go to plan with the Queens Park Sign. 

Edited by Guest

Below are some pics from this morning.  I noticed 3 things: 1) The "QP" plastic(?) was removed, 2) I didn't see the oval "Queen Park" part anywhere, and 3) It looks like the sections were cut apart with a torch.

Original:

qp_zps8384a50e.jpg

Yesterday 1pm.  Note "QP" top portion on ground.

qp3_zps1256b421.jpg

This morning.  Note top round section is still there, but "QP" face is gone.

qp4_zpscb119ba2.jpg

qp5_zps1e660f2f.jpg

qp6_zps7e00d78b.jpg

qp7_zps5b822188.jpg

Someone should reach out to Griffin to see if there are actually any plans in place for the sign. Given that they're a GC, they may also be willing to put a price on it to get it  to the NC Music Factory and assemble, which would make the fundraising goal more real. I guess it would also require the NC Music Factory to agree to taking it, which is probably not an issue, just a formality.