Scaleybark Station Area Projects

kermit

• 2 weeks later...

I came across a few renderings I don't think have been posted before.

http://www.pappasproperties.com/documents/ScaleybarkBrochure.pdf

Page 11 of that pdf, the full overhead view: Am I picky for being bothered by that seemingly large parking lot facing South Blvd in the center (+/- 75 spaces)?

I mean, overall a great and much needed project. But I guess the larger the project, the less perfection you'll have. 

I didn't realize they were only saving the actual QP sign itself. I assumed that when they said they were "saving the sign" they meant the structure too. IMO, the sign itself isn't particularly noteworthy. It's the combination of the words with the structure that made it special.

Yea that became scrap metal immediately 

Page 11 of that pdf, the full overhead view: Am I picky for being bothered by that seemingly large parking lot facing South Blvd in the center (+/- 75 spaces)?

I mean, overall a great and much needed project. But I guess the larger the project, the less perfection you'll have. 

Actually Page 11 tells me one very important thing. They are trying to attract a grocery store (36k sq foot space) in order to get CHA funding. They were having trouble getting funding for low/mixed income apartments, because there were a number of items that they couldn't check off on the project. The biggest one, was the lack of grocery store or pharmacy within a 1 mile radius. 

^Interesting. I guess that explains the parking lot. Easier access for car shoppers, and that hotel building behind the lot would want to be attached to the parking structure.

The only thing is its too close to Harris Teeter, Lidl and Publix to be any of those three. Its too big for sprouts, wrong demographics for Fresh Market or Whole Foods. So who could it be...

EDIT: Talked to my buddy who is a Grocery Industry Insider. He thinks there will be a Walmart Neighborhood Market here, based on area demographics, who is in expansion mode, and the square footage of the space. 

Edited by Guest

EDIT: Talked to my buddy who is a Grocery Industry Insider. He thinks there will be a Walmart Neighborhood Market here, based on area demographics, who is in expansion mode, and the square footage of the space. 

+1 on that. It is a decent entry point into the intown CLT market for them. At the risk of sounding like a real AH, WalMart Neighborhood combined with some CHA, combined with large surface parking, combined with the nearby QT, combined with wasted opportunities across the street is making me raise my eyebrows about the New-Scaleybark.

I think WMT Neighborhood Market would also like to be around Five Points, but the right space is tough to find there.

Edited by kermit

+1 on that. It is a decent entry point into the intown CLT market for them. At the risk of sounding like a real AH, WalMart Neighborhood combined with some CHA, combined with large surface parking, combined with the nearby QT, combined with wasted opportunities across the street is making me raise my eyebrows about the New-Scaleybark.

I think WMT Neighborhood Market would also like to be around Five Points, but the right space is tough to find there.

Well, it was a nice year of daydreaming anyway...

On the flip side and playing devil's advocate, though. Even with these lame facts that have developed, the area will still be vastly improved by the project, regardless of the QT. I used to live in Sedgefield when development was only just started to bubble out there from South End Proper, and simply having a few good projects that added to the urban fabric helped a lot, even when next to crappy fabric-less parcels are scattered around, it still made it feel as close to urban as one could hope.

The east side of Scaleybark area will surely have some redevelopments eventually. It'll be another generation until these transit neighborhoods on the periphery really become fully fleshed out, flawless urban neighborhoods. Which stinks a lot, but with zoning code the way it is what can we expect if the district isn't explicitly historic...

Edited by SgtCampsalot

The QT is a bummer, however, I still think this is a great project.   Any true urban neighborhood should have a mix of incomes.   The rest of the development seems to be of high quality materials, so I don't imagine they will skimp on the grocery store design.  The surface lot is only 75 spaces, and will probably be landscaped nicely. The townhomes will sell like hot cakes if priced correctly and will be a boon for the area.   

Edited by rjp212

The agenda has an article up referring to the development as "Queens Park".  http://www.charlotteagenda.com/17990/will-queens-park-be-charlottes-hottest-neighborhood-in-2018/

I like the name, however if I recall, doesn't the Charlotte 2050 plan include building a "Queens Park" north of Uptown between 277 and Matheson?

• Like 1

The agenda has an article up referring to the development as "Queens Park".  http://www.charlotteagenda.com/17990/will-queens-park-be-charlottes-hottest-neighborhood-in-2018/

I like the name, however if I recall, doesn't the Charlotte 2050 plan include building a "Queens Park" north of Uptown between 277 and Matheson?

Meh, 2050 is so far away. Let's make Queen's Park happen for this area now. RDJ, revive that philanthropy.

A Class B Size Best Buy worth of LA FITNESS. are you fudging (Not intended word) Serious?

People have to do their mild cardio somewhere, what do you expect them to do jog on the sidewalks?  Oh wait I know you'd force people to go ride a bicycle on the streets.  Don't be ridiculous.  If were are going to allow people the choice of exercise or not, at least make them do it behind closed doors, no one wants to see a bunch of fit people running around. 

Ok seriously though, around me the planet fitness is a higher use intensity than the tractor supply.  That's saying a lot, People here love their Chinese made farm supplies.     

Edited by DEnd

From the agenda:

"

Why Queen’s Park, you may ask? Well, back in the day there was a drive-in movie theater with that name in the area. Over time, its sign became tremendously famous (it is currently up for bidding) and it seemed like a very fitting name.

I urge everyone to start referring to this area as Queen’s Park. It’s an awesome name, and this area deserves its own name.

"

It was "Queen Park", not "Queen's Park".  And from what I can tell, the drive-in was the "Queen Drive-In", while the later cinema was "Queen Park".

From the agenda:

"

Why Queen’s Park, you may ask? Well, back in the day there was a drive-in movie theater with that name in the area. Over time, its sign became tremendously famous (it is currently up for bidding) and it seemed like a very fitting name.

I urge everyone to start referring to this area as Queen’s Park. It’s an awesome name, and this area deserves its own name.

"

It was "Queen Park", not "Queen's Park".  And from what I can tell, the drive-in was the "Queen Drive-In", while the later cinema was "Queen Park".

It was Queen Park, so do we like Queen's Park or Queen Park? To me, for an area I think Queen's Park has a bit more ring than it's singular form

Edited by Jayvee

Well, that's obviously just a matter of opinion.  I like the singular far better --- maybe because that's how I've always known it --- or maybe I just like the way it sounds.  As mentioned on urbanplanet by somebody years ago, the light rail station should have been Queen Park instead of Scaleybark.  That would have been cool.

Edited by grodney

Well, that's obviously just a matter of opinion.  I like the singular far better --- maybe because that's how I've always known it --- or maybe I just like the way it sounds.  As mentioned on urbanplanet by somebody years ago, the light rail station should have been Queen Park instead of Scaleybark.  That would have been cool.

Well should we have them change it to Queen Park before it catches on too much?