MORTON HOUSE

walker

• 4 months later...

Market rate housing is being planned for the Morton Hotel.

Rockford Construction is in the design stage to repurpose the Morton House, 55 Ionia Ave. NW. The company plans a mix-use building with retail on the ground floor, some office space above that, and market-rate housing on the upper levels.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Renovations-on-tap-for-morton-house-junior-achievement

There's nothing in that WOODTV article that hasn't been reported before. They're apparently trying to break into development news.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Multi-use-key-to-repurposing-buildings?fb_comment_id=fbc_496094477090920_5561422_496239730409728

:rofl:

There's nothing in that WOODTV article that hasn't been reported before. They're apparently trying to break into development news.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Multi-use-key-to-repurposing-buildings?fb_comment_id=fbc_496094477090920_5561422_496239730409728

All of a sudden, the newsprint version of the GR Press seems "instant". :)

I thought the market rate apartments was new news.  It was the first time I had heard that Rockford was planning apartments for the building.  I knew that the rest of their story was old news. Most of it more then a year old.  I should have figured that it was all old news.

I thought the market rate apartments was new news.  It was the first time I had heard that Rockford was planning apartments for the building.  I knew that the rest of their story was old news. Most of it more then a year old.  I should have figured that it was all old news.

I've heard recently of a different use for the building. That's partly why I was saying it was old news. Rockford has been putting out to the media that it might be this, it might be that, very nonspecific (which the article is very nonspecific).

I don't think that building ever had a bank. It was built as a hotel and I believe the first floor was a lobby / ballroom.

Joe

Is there an old second floor bank lobby or some such thing in this building that could be converted to a ball room/reception hall/meeting area?  That seems to be a pretty cool trend in some of the older downtown buildings.

There was a bank on the NE corner -- Old Kent, if I recall. Not a big bank, but a branch.

the Ballroom was back along Ionia -- for a time it had a fairly fancy restaurant there, Les Idees. 1980 or so. At the time, the ballroom looked pretty impressive, even if we were the only ones in  the room.

I wonder if there gonna try to increase ceiling heights. Make them lofty.

I've heard that it's going to be office use, somewhat related to the Steketee Building next door. Just speculation though.

I found out something interesting. Banks would locate on the 2nd floor of buildings to cut down on bank robberies. Make it harder to get away. Ha.

• 1 month later...

It would be incredible to get 100 market rate apartments on Monroe Center.

When they talk about a tax break, they are basically asking for a break on the improvements that they'll put into the building, correct? Mlive says they'll "lose" $317,000 over ten years, but really, they are only losing on the value of the improved building (in other words, not losing anything if the alternative was a vacant eyesore). Is my logic correct?

Good to see all of these housing announcements. Bring on the residents! :)

Joe

It would be incredible to get 100 market rate apartments on Monroe Center.

When they talk about a tax break, they are basically asking for a break on the improvements that they'll put into the building, correct? Mlive says they'll "lose" $317,000 over ten years, but really, they are only losing on the value of the improved building (in other words, not losing anything if the alternative was a vacant eyesore). Is my logic correct?

Good to see all of these housing announcements. Bring on the residents! :)

Joe

Yes.

I would love to live on Monroe Center. I sure hope this goes though. I have always liked the look of this building, as strange as that may sound

It seems unlikely that it wont go thru,   Rockford and RDV are the two biggest players downtown.   I cant think of too many things they have put forth that have not come to fruition.

It seems unlikely that it wont go thru,   Rockford and RDV are the two biggest players downtown.   I cant think of too many things they have put forth that have not come to fruition.

Sometimes it takes 15 - 20 years (35 Oakes, Olds Manor, old Tall House site, the last part of Cherry St Landing, etc), but yes they usually get around to it. It does sound like they are moving forward, although it does sound like they will do a "market study" of the downtown market to see how many apartments to do.

• 3 months later...