MORTON HOUSE

walker

Excellent pictures! Thank you grdad!

Here are the rest of them. It was a dreary day so it made the pictures pretty dark. 

21517500548_bcf7f86b4a_b.jpg

21517453030_2660920b46_b.jpg

21082614194_5b2f95d1c8_b.jpg

Doggy amenities!

21693869022_cf01fb183d_b.jpg

People amenities! (keeping some of the original details)

21693879622_e365dbf825_b.jpg

The studio apartments come with built-in "Urbaneer" systems, which are pretty cool.

http://www.urbaneerspaces.com/wordpress/

Edited by GRDadof3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The improvements in the materials and design are nice.  Admittedly, though, I did a double take after they finished the dark black stone cladding on the first floor.  At first glance, it makes the building look like a big chunk is missing and the whole thing is going to collapse.  If this was intentional, then, well.. Okay.  Weird architectural choice and probably a bad call, but to each his own, I suppose.  If they weren't going for the "building hanging in midair look", then someone really screwed the pooch.  All they really need to do to (mostly) fix the issue is to clad the corner post in limestone, or just paint it.  But maybe I'm the only person who thinks it looks quite odd.

Edited by x99

I like it personally. Very classy and distinguished. It shows that the developers know that the ground floor is the most important part of the building, and not just some component that has to 100% match the upper floors.

The upper floors are likely "boring" office spaces anyway, but the ground floor is where the building and the everyday pedestrian will likely "interact" the most. If there is some sort of retail establishment there, then it needs to stand out for itself, and not just fade into the rest of the building where people passing by will have a harder time separating it out visually from the rest of the 12 story building.

5 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

It may look a little dark in the pictures too because the sun was peering around the corner of the building and could've affected the lighting on my camera. 

Oh, no.  It isn't your camera.  I pass by this on a regular basis.  Until you're right up on the building, it visually appears that a section of the building is missing.  I agree with GR_Urbanist you want the main floor to be prominent, but usually you don't want to to appear to be visually missing from a distance.  But when you use black surrounded by lighter colors, that's what you get from any sort of distance in less than blinding light.  I don't like to criticize it, because they nailed the first floor cornice, they nailed the lighting, they nailed the corner entrance--all of it.  It's excellent.  That's why I doubt the disappearing first floor was intentional.  My guess is someone forgot what this would look like in dim light or at dusk, rather than in a sketch.  Not that it isn't still a major improvement on what was there.  It just needs to be tied back to the ground a bit.

Edited by x99

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

An update on this project, mostly talking about the inability to lease a lot of the retail space. Having been in these retail areas, I'm really surprised they expect a retailer to do the build out. 

https://mibiz.com/news/design-build/item/24935-devos-held-firm-gets-loan-deferment-on-gr-facility-amid-struggle-to-fill-retail-space

82 of the 99 apartments are leased. 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

An update on this project, mostly talking about the inability to lease a lot of the retail space. Having been in these retail areas, I'm really surprised they expect a retailer to do the build out. 

https://mibiz.com/news/design-build/item/24935-devos-held-firm-gets-loan-deferment-on-gr-facility-amid-struggle-to-fill-retail-space

• We looked at the spaces in there back when we were searching for a space for our store and the costs were laughable. Even with the prospect of co-tenancy with a popular existing coffee shop in the area it was ridiculous how much build-out would have cost in tandem with the lack of visibility from the street. I am not surprised at all that they have not been able to fill these and it is really disappointing. 

9 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

In other words, the residential is still boasting an almost 20% vacancy rate and the commercial is a fiasco.  Funny thing is, when it was a giant Section 8 building, it was waitlisted waaaaay out there.  Lesson: The whole no parking, high density, take transit thing works great.  As long as the tenants don't have money to pay for a car and the rent is next to free.  Probably not the take away anyone was going for...  :unsure:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

55 Ionia Partners,  an LLC of RDV Corp,  wants to open high end boutique hotel on 3 floors of The Morton.   I say go for it if it will help fill the empty ground floor space.  

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/12/devos-affiliated-company-eyes-32-room-high-end-hotel-in-downtown-grand-rapids.html

https://www.themortongr.com/

• Like 1