Carolina Panthers

I noticed that we keep having these annual Panthers topics, so thought it would be a good idea to just wrap it up all under one. Anyways, interesting piece of info from Forbes. The Carolina Panthers are 17th most valuable sports franchise in the world (yes, the world). They are valued at $1.04 billion. If Cam Newton can do his thing here, it will only go up. Not too shabby for little ole Charlotte, NC huh? :) There are a few other sports franchises sprinkled in, but the NFL teams make up the vast majority of them.

I noticed that we keep having these annual Panthers topics, so thought it would be a good idea to just wrap it up all under one. Anyways, interesting piece of info from Forbes. The Carolina Panthers are 17th most valuable sports franchise in the world (yes, the world). They are valued at $1.04 billion. If Cam Newton can do his thing here, it will only go up. Not too shabby for little ole Charlotte, NC huh? :) There are a few other sports franchises sprinkled in, but the NFL teams make up the vast majority of them.

I don't know why. I mean I love Charlotte, but the Panthers suck. Like bad. This is coming from someone who couldn't care much less about football, either. My family & I went to see them practice in Spartanburg last summer and they just stood around and didn't do much. Probably one of most boring hours of 2010. Possibly. I don't think they did good last season, but it is coming from me, so I don't know. I don't mean to be bitter or anything, but I don't really know half of what I'm talking about, so if I'm wrong, then sorry. It is surprising that it is the 17th most valuable still, but I couldn't think it would be any lower than 30th.

^Well, I doubt anyone would disagree with you for last year. They were terrible. Though, they have a fresh look now with a new coaching staff and some player additions that should help. It will take a year or two, but hopefully this franchise is on the upswing. They set the bar pretty low after last year.

I don't know why. I mean I love Charlotte, but the Panthers suck. Like bad. This is coming from someone who couldn't care much less about football, either. My family & I went to see them practice in Spartanburg last summer and they just stood around and didn't do much. Probably one of most boring hours of 2010. Possibly. I don't think they did good last season, but it is coming from me, so I don't know. I don't mean to be bitter or anything, but I don't really know half of what I'm talking about, so if I'm wrong, then sorry. It is surprising that it is the 17th most valuable still, but I couldn't think it would be any lower than 30th.

The Panthers have had two bad years. They are a young team and have already made it to the Super Bowl. The other years, they were a descent. Two bad years don't make them "suck". It means they have had bad luck for two years.

The Panthers have had two bad years. They are a young team and have already made it to the Super Bowl. The other years, they were a descent. Two bad years don't make them "suck". It means they have had bad luck for two years.

And 3 NFC Championship appearances! The Panthers aren't consistently good, but they have an overall winning record. Last year was particularly bad because John Fox already knew he was on the way out and didn't really care, oh yea, and we drafted a POS quarterback. I'm surprised he didn't just resign at the start of the season.

Being the 17th (and not very far behind 12-16th) most valuable franchise in the world is pretty exciting. I figured with all the major soccer teams in Europe and baseball teams like the Yankees and Red Sox that we'd be MUCH further down the list. Guess my view of sports economics was way off...

• 3 months later...

The Panthers have announced they hired an architect to study and create a master plan for a major renovation of Bank of America Stadium. It will take a year to complete the study and master plan. Team officials haven't released any details, but given the fact it will be a sizable renovation there will be some big changes. My guess is that you'll see such things as major scoreboard renovations (can we get a bigger one like everyone else?), better fan experiences and stadium configuration changes. The one thing they did mention is that the renovation will be PRIVATELY funded. So we don't have to listen to gripes about taxes being raised, though the NIMBYs will just complain about something else I'm sure. Given the success of Cam Newton early on, it might be wise to get this done now. The Panthers (should) only get better after this season.

I honestly believe that Jerry Richardson wants to host a superbowl bad. I don't buy the "lack of hotel room" claim for Charlotte and its surrounding area, what I do think is this up-fit will have a lot to do with securing the game. If they can have an outdoor game in New York, they can certainly hold one in Charlotte (speaking in terms of weather). Plus the "Big Cat" carries a lot of weight among the owners. And remember who pays Roger Goodells salary.

I think we are still years away from hosting but maybe after upgrades to the stadium the NFL would reconsider. The host city is always a combination of the climate, the tourist factor of the city and the stadium itself. The superdome may not be that great, but its in NO and its indoors. We would suffer from being a so-so place to visit from a tourist perspective topped by a mediocre stadium in a potentially cold weather climate. New York has a new stadium and well, its New York! That's just my 2 cents. Fo

^Yea, but have you ever traveled from NYC to the Meadowlands for a game? It's a complete clusterf***. I can't imagine what it will be like on Super Sunday in a few years. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I agree that the hotel issue should be a non-factor in a few years, especially if uptown gets another one or two built. I think the Super Bowl is certainly doable, but based on a few things:

1) How the city handles the DNC in 2012. If it ends up being a disaster, it hurts the city's chances of landing the Super Bowl. If it's a success or non-factor, then it helps.

2) The scope of the renovation to BofA Stadium. The Super Bowl likes glitz in their stadiums, especially for non-traditional host cities (Indy, Detroit, etc). I think it's safe to say there won't be a roof added.

3) How the Super Bowl fares at the Meadowlands. While Charlotte and the NY metro area are completely opposite in terms of experiences, the whole outdoor venue in a cold weather environment changes the dynamics of the game. While Charlotte isn't the northeast for weather, it still gets chilly here in early February.

The one thing they did mention is that the renovation will be PRIVATELY funded. So we don't have to listen to gripes about taxes being raised, though the NIMBYs will just complain about something else I'm sure.

They'll complain about rising ticket prices paying for the cost of the upgrades I'm sure. Edited by rworkman09

• 2 years later...

It seems mildly disturbing that this thread has gone silent so long.  Especially given the hype behind the team this year.  Monday night vs the Patriots and the two games against New Orleans will really show what kind of team the Panthers are this year.  They dropped a couple unfortunate close games to start off the year (one against the current NFC superbowl contender, Seattle;) but outside of their loss to Arizona, they're having a pretty solid year.

During the last game, one of the announcers accidentally referred to the Panthers as the "Charlotte Panthers."  He caught himself, but given that it was an away game, it's pretty impressive that announcers do have our city in mind when it isn't a part of the name.  If he had said "Raleigh" I would've broken my tv.

I've been looking for a pair of tix to the game on Monday night. You can't find anything less than $125... even in the upper deck. Amazing what a 5 game win streak and winning team will do to the price of tix. Monday night is going to be insane. Already talked to several people I know who are regular tailgaters. I know some of them will be there bright and early Monday morning... Love it!  :alc:

I was really hoping for a New Orleans loss yesterday but they squeaked that win in. It looks like Carolina might be nipping at the Saint's heels for the remainder of the season.

The difference will be the two games against them. I hope we find a way to contain them and surpass them.

I should have just left sportscenter off last night, but was drawn like a moth to light... not sure we're going to live this one down.  But it really annoys me, several badly called penalties (against the Panthers, or not adequately enough in our favor), and I'm pretty sure the Pats got time added at least twice in the past minute, would really love to see the entire last minute replayed in case my perception was just off, but the thing that was most annoying was the last ~6.5 minutes of the game, specifically our drive to take the lead.  The clock mgmt was bad, its as if we didn't even know how to eat the clock up and make sure Brady never took the field again, as if Rivera wasn't even aware of doing this and instructing the team not to get out of bounds, or not having coached such a concept.  Not being negative, its just difficult to call that a "win" when there is a pretty big stain present on it, the uncalled "hold" at the very end did probably warrant another play for the Pats, the hold was a bit light, but, the ref threw the effing flag, and there you go.  Really, it never should have went to that, and we really need to learn some things about clock mgmt this week.

nowensone, I can't agree with all that.

I thought the Panthers last drive was fine.  Yes, I didn't want Brady to have any time, but I was beginning to wonder if the Panthers would have enough time.  The Panthers had 2nd and 15 from the 25 with just over a minute to play.  How did they know they were going to score on the next play?  I guess Ginn could have laid down or gone out of bounds at the 1 yard line -- not really an option since a field goal only would have tied.  Of course, if the Panthers got a first down without scoring, maybe the Pats would have started calling time out -- who knows.  Regardless, if it weren't for the 25-yard play to Ginn, Brady would have had even less than the 59 seconds he had, and probably fewer timeouts.  (Amazing the Pats ran 12 plays in 59 seconds of clock!)

As for the win -- well, I'll take it.  It's really a shame about the last play, because that's all anybody wants to talk about.  The win helps the Panthers get to the playoffs.  But other than that, it doesn't change much.  Without that play, whether they won or lost, it would have been the same.  They proved that they're an improving team that needs to clean some things up, but they can hang with the big boys (even though the Pats allegedly aren't as good this year).

I've seen that replay on the last play I don't know how many times. You take out the Kuechly holding/grabbing whatever you call it, I still don't see how Gronkowski comes back to catch that ball. It was underthrown and Lester was there to pick it off -- Brady even said so in his post game interview. But it's ESPN, they are some of the bigger Boston sports homers around. In stead of focusing on that one play, the Patriots and their fans should have thought about what they didn't do the other 59+ minutes to win the game. Football is 60 minutes, not one play. Cam Newton and the Panthers played a great game and deserved the W. Too bad that's not the focus of the national media. Instead they are talking about how the Patriots lost.

Edited by wend28
  • Like 1