Carolina Panthers

Panthers dug down deep, found their inner Cleveland Browns and pulled out Shaq Thompson. What an unbelievably stupid pick, he's hardly a first round talent.

How do you really feel, armchair GM?

He wasn't my first choice, that guy was taken the pick before, but hardly a stupid pick..

Edited by wend28

I love when fans think that they know players better than the staff that watches their every move for a year, minimum. Just because Mel Kiper doesn't talk about the guy doesn't mean he's not a great pick. People complained when we picked up Luke because we had LBs and people said Steve Smith was a waste of a pick anywhere before round 6. Hell, Aaron Rodgers was passed by 23 teams and selected by GB when Farve still had several years left and glaring defensive issues. I was hoping we'd grab Perriman when he dropped to us, but I won't pretend my judgement isn't based off of what analyst on TV are saying.

• Like 1

If he becomes the next Luke or Aaron Rodgers I will bit my tongue. Otherwise, we have more pressing needs that could have been picked up here. This feels like a scramble pick because Humphries was taken right before.

I disagree with using the draft to fill glaring needs. If you have large problems a draft pick isn't going to help you. The draft should be used to build your future. You can't build a future on inexperienced guys who won't have good mentorship in the position you need them in. The NFL ain't college basketball where raw talent and heavy coaching will get you to the playoffs.

I disagree with using the draft to fill glaring needs. If you have large problems a draft pick isn't going to help you. The draft should be used to build your future. You can't build a future on inexperienced guys who won't have good mentorship in the position you need them in. The NFL ain't college basketball where raw talent and heavy coaching will get you to the playoffs.

I guess guys like Luck, Beckham Jr, Thomas and the billion other great rookies had no impact. And lineman in particular is an immediate impact position. To say drafted players aren't going to help immediately is so unfounded. Yes a VAST majority of first round picks don't pan out right away, but again lineman in particular tend to help immediately. But I have run out of energy to discuss this. I'm hoping for the best because they can't be any worse than the Browns and I am done with them. Hoping for a good year and I hope we destroy Atlanta.

Edited by Jayvee

It's not like this is Thomas Davis' last year of his contract plus he is getting up there in age.  I think Luke and the d-line hides the fact that once TD leaves there is a need for an OLB.  So why not draft a guy like Shaq who went to college as a safety and transitioned to OLB.  Kind of like the guy he'll eventually be replacing.  It's a safe long term pick that screams Gettleman and the Giants from the past 10-12 years.  

Based on draft pundit rankings he's a reach, but I'd counter that with Bruce Irvin in 2012 and that turned out alright.  But I do love the draft night over reaction whether it's either positive or negative.  Provides some good laughs.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Though I'll continue to say the Panthers need offensive linemen, I'm very happy with this pick.  16-0, errrr, 19-0.

Agree but with DJ being picked one ahead and Ereck Flowers going earlier than some expected there weren't many left worth a late 1st rounder.  The LSU kid maybe if he wasn't awaiting questioning about an ex-girlfriends murder.

I can't believe you could almost remotely defend this pick. It was literally the only bad pick of the first round, you'd think the Browns or Raiders did it.

Exactly why I called you armchair GM. This is ONE round. There are SIX more to go. Not like the NBA where you have far less chances to get every pick right. There's a reason people like Gettleman get paid to do what they do and fans like us all piss and moan or cheer because we got the guy right in our mock draft. Outside of the handful of guys selected with the first 5 or so picks, you can make an argument why does X team take Y player for virtually every selection. Someone mentioned Perriman in another post. I didn't like him because he dropped way too many balls -- we saw a lot of that with Benjamin last season. But that's me. While it may be a stretch to call Shaq a true 1st rounder, he was also one of the last (if not the last) on the Panthers board that was available. He's a very versatile LB, you can even call him a hybrid. Very Kam Chancellor like... And that's probably what the Panthers saw in him. The D needs guys to cover athletic TE's. That's one thing they always struggle with. And someone has to make up for slow-a$$ Roman Harper. Just think what this D would be like if they had a guy like Kam. They would go into complete shut down mode. Now time to stock this team OLineman and Receivers... 

For anyone that wants to read more on Shaq, here's a good write up: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2419536-shaq-thompsons-versatility-can-translate-to-the-nfl-level

Edited by wend28

I love the pick.  Dude hits like a freight train and is a turnover machine.  There were zero 1st round caliber tackles left that we could have taken at 25.  In all likelihood, the same guy we would have drafted at 25 will be there tonight in the 2nd round.  Now that would truly be a reach.  Our defense is stupid young and talented now.  We will get a WR likely today or tomorrow.  BPA is our mantra though.  We shouldn't stray from it.

Panthers trade their 2nd, 3rd and 6th rounders to move up and get David Funchess.......In college he couldn't really decide if he wanted to be a TE or WR, but I think with Olsen he's won't be running TE routes and will be a focused WR. I think there are better WRs still on the board, but more focused he could be a great impact player. He will GREATLY improve our current red zone offensive strategy of "let Cam try to run it in, and if he can't in 3 downs we are screwed" so that will be excellent.

That all being said.....I still think they should have taken a lineman here. What's the use of giving people for Cam to throw to if he has 0 time to do it?

Edited by Jayvee

Apparently they didn't have any OLinemen on their board that they liked here... I don't hate the pick because Funchess and Benjamin will cause matchup problems with smaller corners. Though, I think they gave up a lot to get there. Too much actually. No 3rd round pick. 

• 5 weeks later...

Word is that Cam Newton's new contract with the Panthers in imminent. Should have it signed this week. 5 years/$100M-ish. Glad that they are getting this done before training camp starts up... 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article22789002.html

Agree.  Great job locking this up prior to the season starting.  So nice to know we have a franchise QB for another 5 seasons.  Those of us that have been Panthers fans long enough know the dark days of not having a real QB.  It's straight misery.

• 1 month later...

Man I'm ready for some football.  Schedule analysis follows.

@JAX, HOU, NO, @TB - Hopefully NO and TB still suck.  Hope CAR doesn't think JAX will be a cakewalk in week 1 -- a loss there to start the season would be very disappointing.  Get 4 wins.

@SEA, PHI (sun night), IND (mon night), GB - Yikes.  Thank god 3 of these are at home.  I believe this is the year CAR vanquishes SEA, much like the Bulls finally beating the Pistons.  But I'm not sure if it will be in the regular season or in the playoffs. 

@TEN, WAS, @DAL (t-giving), @NO - Don't mess around and lose to TEN or WAS.  DAL and NO will be tough on the road, even if NO still sucks.

ATL, @NYG, @ATL, TB - Hope ATL and TB still suck.  Suck it up and get a cold win Dec 20 at NYG.

19-0

Really though, stay healthy.  That is of chief importance.

• Like 3

@JAX, HOU, NO, @TB - Hopefully NO and TB still suck.  Hope CAR doesn't think JAX will be a cakewalk in week 1 -- a loss there to start the season would be very disappointing.  Get 4 wins.

@SEA, PHI (sun night), IND (mon night), GB - Yikes.  Thank god 3 of these are at home.  I believe this is the year CAR vanquishes SEA, much like the Bulls finally beating the Pistons.  But I'm not sure if it will be in the regular season or in the playoffs. 

@TEN, WAS, @DAL (t-giving), @NO - Don't mess around and lose to TEN or WAS.  DAL and NO will be tough on the road, even if NO still sucks.

ATL, @NYG, @ATL, TB - Hope ATL and TB still suck.  Suck it up and get a cold win Dec 20 at NYG.

19-0

Definitely 19-0.  No doubt.

19-0

I'm happy to say I'm going to 2 maybe 3 away games and 2 home games this year. I'm absolutely going to @NYG and @TEN, trying to schedule a work trip to @Seattle for that game.

I'm right there with ya RDFan21

Trying to go to all home games if possible. I get tix thru my Carolina Panthers AAA account and they don't always have seats to all games. I absolutely loathe the Cowboys, but boy what I would do for a couple of seats in Arlington for that T-Giving day game. Everyone I know that has visited sez AT&T stadium is a "must see". :thumbsup: