Carolina Panthers

I am more than happy to eat my words!  It helps that we stopped playing zone coverage so much.  The only time we switched primarily to Zone in this game, they scored a touchdown.  That was all we knew how to defend with during the first match-up.  Hard to pressure Brees in zone coverage.  His receivers will eventually find that hole.

Our time of possession was TERRIBLE compared to the rest of the season.  I don't know what was going on, but I really hope there isn't a third match-up in the playoffs, home-field advantage or not.  It can't rain like that every time.  Our offense gave Brees a ton of chances, I'm glad our D-line woke up.

On the plus side, I did receive two Keuchly jerseys and a Cam t-shirt for Christmas.  The Dick's Sporting Goods Jersey Report shows off just how much love those two have been receiving lately.  As of right now, Cam has the highest sold jersey overall in the last 7 days, and Luke has the highest sold defensive jersey (he was 2nd highest overall last week leading up to his rock-star performance, it's like people knew what was coming!)  Let it be known that that is a really big deal considering the size of our market compared to most.

My boss is a diehard Cowboys fan, I'm having a great time!

Things to worry about:

-Aaron Rodgers is back just in time to play for a spot in the playoffs

-Romo is out, meaning we'll probably be facing Nick Foles at some point

Things to cheer for:

-If the 49ers win in Phoenix AND the Seahawks lose to St Louis, we will be the NFC's No 1 seed with a win in Atlanta.

I'm still debating going to Atlanta for the game this weekend.  We need this win.

We didn't convert a single 3rd down, that is probably the single largest reason for the short time of possession. I'm pretty sure we were top 5 (maybe still are) in 3rd down conversion % on the season, so I'm going to say Sunday was an anomaly for now. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

We didn't convert a single 3rd down, that is probably the single largest reason for the short time of possession. I'm pretty sure we were top 5 (maybe still are) in 3rd down conversion % on the season, so I'm going to say Sunday was an anomaly for now. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

It looked like the difficulty on 3rd was due to Cam's limited mobility and a Saints blitz on every third down. Hopefully Cam's had time to recover, or the panthers lock down some solid hot reads. The Saints secondary was nearly flawless until Cam threw 3 bullseyes on that final drive.

Cam scares me. Thank god he can run the ball. He gets an "A" for running and a "C+" for passing. He just can't get it right on the long passes, and they sometimes make the difference in winning a close game. I know that they say he is still new, but I believe he may not get better.  Fortunately, the team has wonderful players to cover him and to improvise for his shortcomings. This combination has however made us number one. I certainly hope Smith is back in two weeks. I just hope we can get to the Super Bowl like everyone else. This is just my opinion and I have never really followed football until the Panthers played New England in the Super Bowl. Now I am a big supporter.

The offense NEEDS to step up if they want to go anywhere in the playoffs. The defense won the last 2 weeks.

True, and it scares me that our touted pass rush masks a very poor secondary, which was again visibly obvious, we've got serious issues in the playoffs, and we're going to need real offensive performance to shore up this weakness.  I was hoping Dallas won tonight as I'd rather play them [potentially], but we do have a weakness of the Eagles to exploit and that is harassing the QB, if it comes to that.

No Steve Smith and Jonathan Stewart is hurt so don't count on an explosive offense if both of those guys are out like today.  The current receiving corps doesn't create a lot of separation so that makes it even more difficult for Cam who has a tendency to sail a few balls....and then toss in a few flat out drops. 

The Panthers have a capable offense (which can be explosive) and Cam can put it big numbers if the offensive coordinator were to unleash it.  However, when you have a D of this caliber, why not be conservative on offense?  This is the NFL and the margin for victory is usually small and blowouts aren't the norm.  Cam doesn't have great continuity with the receiving corps (aside from Smitty who is older and lost a step or two) and LaFell isn't always reliable to get open or secure the catch.

The Panthers have to be able to run the ball and play great D which is the formula for winning the Superbowl. Since Rivera has been on board, the Panthers haven't drafted any offensive playmakers since Cam and it shows which has allowed them to build a top5 D.  Cam still throws a great long ball but it's tough when it's not part of the game plan and the receivers don't get separation...3 years ago, Smitty could get open deep but it is obvious he's doesn't have the same motor.

Where Cam has grown is in his ability to read Ds and audible at the line.  Although it doesn't show on the stat sheet, he made a few audibles that resulted in positive yardage games.

That said, the offense will have to be more creative and take more risk with Cam during the playoffs.

Edited by Durhamite

Greg Olsen is ridiculously good -- although he sometimes dances a bit too much after making a catch in the open -- you've made an amazing catch, just run forward for a few yards big guy.

Nortman appears to be doing great, but I'm befuddled by punts.  When the Panthers punt, the Panthers gunners are blocked by the receiving team, and the return guy has room to run.  But when Ginn is back to receive, there are no blockers to be found, and there are defenders on him immediately.  What gives?  (Although yesterday he came SO CLOSE to making a big return up the middle, the one time he actually got a little space, but I think it was still an unblocked guy that tripped him up.)

I saw The Kraken at a restaurant last Monday before the Bobcat's game.  Funny - my wife recognized his face and didn't notice his clothes, which said "King Kraken" and were the only reason I recognized him.  Anyway, not knowing what to say or whether it's even cool to bother players in public, I didn't say anything to him.  Wish I would have.  I hope his motor stays on HIGH and hope much more that the Panthers keep him after this year.

^ The irony is that Seattle is the road block yet again, and the Eagles before that [possibly].  Back then Delhomme was a statue in the pocket and cost us the game, I know that is wildly debatable, but his lack of movement will forever be etched in my memory, the D putting a man on him would have changed everything, anyway, we have a mobile QB now, though Seattle is also now a more formidable opponent.  End of the day, it is, for better or worse, sports that are bringing our city prestige (or at least notoriety), as the Hornets did years ago, there's just something about Teal people can't get out of their head.  :)

It is going to amazing if we win our first play-off game at home in Charlotte. I remember how awesome it was back in 2003. With the Uptown area being as horrible as it was, the energy of that day was amazing. I remember lines of cars honking their horns, and everyone celebrating. I can only imagine how crazy the energy could be this year, with how far Charlotte has come.

We have won a playoff game in Charlotte, the teams first every playoff game, over the Cowboys in the 96 season. Yes it was a truly amazing night with a spontaneous party on the square, cruisers going up and down Tryon, and hundreds of people chanting Green Bay!!! (the following weeks opponent)

The 7,000 tickets that were available from the Panthers ticket office for the playoff game on Jan 12th sold out in minutes (the other 66k are PSL holders). Naturally of course a lot of tickets showed up on Stubhub for much more than face value -- saw some over $1000 each in upper level. Sucks for the real fans that aren't looking to make money.

Was on ticketmaster at 9:55am, couldn't get tickets. So sad.... :cry:

I'm there with you. Between my wife and I we had 3 devices trying to login to get tickets. I did hear that most people had success with the iPhone or Android apps as opposed to the PC where you have to type in the keyword every time.

We always Park in the free lots at Winona and Winnifred (don't tell too many people) and walk. There is always free parking over there, and we will probably walk over to Unknown Brewing Company.