The Health District

richyb83

• 3 months later...

Nice change since Post #47 pic... :shades:

Real Estate Weekly Property of the Week...

AR-130709848.jpg

Progress continues on the $19 million LSU Medical Education and Innovation Center at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, 5246 Brittany Drive. The four-story, 35,000-square-foot building will annually educate and train nearly 200 medical residents in LSU Health GME programs. Complete details on the building and collaboration can be found here. Milton J. Womack Inc. is the general contractor. VOA+BBA Design Partnership is the architect.

Read more from Business Report here: http://www.businessreport.com/section/businessreport0113#ixzz2YZu0Fmoa

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Under construction

....The Capital Region is experiencing a health care expansion unlike any other in recent history

http://www.businessreport.com/8202013/print-issue/Trends_in_Health_Care/Under_construction

*Click sideshow....would not let me post the pics....UP Red Box says "not allowed to use that image on this community....I'm too lazy to post em again on Imageshack

LSU-OLOL partnership brings with it expanded facilities, new medical school campus to Baton Rouge

Gov. Bobby Jindal joined capital area lawmakers and health officials in North Baton Rouge on Tuesday to mark the opening of an expanded urgent care clinic. The ribbon-cutting marked the latest development arising from the partnership completed in April between LSU and Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center.

"Our historic public-private partnerships are continuing to improve care and educate the doctors of tomorrow across our state, all while saving taxpayers more than $125 million dollars," Jindal said at a press conference before the ribbon-cutting ceremony.

Last year, the Jindal administration moved to privatize the state's charity hospital system in the wake of a major reduction in federal Medicaid money coming into the state. The LSU-OLOL partnership was the first to be completed on April 15.

Baton Rouge's public hospital, Earl K. Long, was shuttered that day and services shifted to the medical center off Essen Lane and the six LSU clinics in the capital area region. Jindal said wait times for critical prescriptions had been cut from 10 days to 10 hours and delays at the medical center's emergency room had been dramatically cut.

The expansion at the LSU Health Baton Rouge Urgent Care Center in North Baton Rouge increases the clinic's capacity by 6,965 square feet. It will treat minor injuries and illnesses and will be staffed 24/7.

Speaking before the ribbon-cutting, LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans Dean Dr. Steve Nelson hailed the LSU-OLOL partnership for affording expanded health care options to residents in the capital region while also providing more training opportunities for medical students.

Nelson added the partnership will allow the medical school to start a new branch campus in Baton Rouge. Application papers to receive accreditation for the new campus have already been submitted and approval is expected in the next few months.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/09/jindal_health_care_baton_rouge.html#incart_river_default

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Nice change since Post #47 pic... :shades:

Real Estate Weekly Property of the Week...

AR-130709848.jpg

Progress continues on the $19 million LSU Medical Education and Innovation Center at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, 5246 Brittany Drive. The four-story, 35,000-square-foot building will annually educate and train nearly 200 medical residents in LSU Health GME programs. Complete details on the building and collaboration can be found here. Milton J. Womack Inc. is the general contractor. VOA+BBA Design Partnership is the architect.

Read more from Business Report here: http://www.businessreport.com/section/businessreport0113#ixzz2YZu0Fmoa

http://www.lsuhospitals.org/News/2012/med-ed-building-07112012.html

The rendering looks much better than I thought it would turn out.   I'm also betting that they are anticipating future additions to this as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
Mary Bird Perkins-OLOL begins $23M cancer center renovation, expansion

A more than $23 million renovation and expansion of the Mary Bird Perkins-Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center has begun, hospital officials announced today, with completion slated for late next year. All services at the center will continue as normal during the construction. Renovations will include the creation of a new drop off and pick up area on the first floor, as well as a new entry and lobby. The radiation oncology clinic will be completely renovated and refurbished, and new treatment rooms are also planned as part of the expansion. A new hospitality area for families and visitors will also be added, while administrative and executive offices will be renovated and clinical space will be expanded, among other aspects of the project. “This is about providing the highest level of comprehensive care for patients and their caregivers through aligned outpatient and inpatient cancer services. Upon arrival, we want every patient to immediately sense that the entire experience is designed with their needs in mind, first,” says Todd Stevens, president and CEO of Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center. Mary Bird Perkins-OLOL has complete details on the project and renderings at its website. —Staff report

Businessreport.com

Nothing new on Shaq's Children's Hospital...Did hear about the good news about the new medical campus...wonder if this goes on the vacant land along I-10 east of Essen??

Real Estate Weekly Property of the Week

AR-130919821.jpg

A more than $23 million renovation and expansion of the Mary Bird Perkins-Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center officially began last week, with completion slated for late next year. All services at the center will continue as normal during the construction. Mary Bird Perkins-OLOL has complete details on the project.

I would only like to see that land developed similar to how Texas Medical Center was. A street grid would be built between Summa and Wards Creek, maybe even extend One Calais Dr with a bridge across the bayou. I can't imagine how a pedestrian would traverse Bluebonnet and be able to make it to the mall safely and easily. Parking in SMD would be limited and the proposed light-rail would be a significant means of transportation. TMC works this way and it is very effective.

It would be terrible to continue building in the same fashion that we have, a reason why Essen is already near gridlock during rush hour and other traffic woes.

The medical campus will likely be in the area around the existing LSU medical education project near the Lake and at the Pennington property.

I keep hearing that a free standing Level 1 pediatric trauma center and treatment center with the Lake's St Jude affiliation will open on the plot you are referring to. It already exists within the Lake now. The new dynamic at the Lake makes a free standing hospital more likely now than ever. From what I can tell, Shaq is endorsing the project as a celebrity spokesperson. I don't think it will bare his namesake but he will probsbly donate enough of his time and money to get a wing named after him (I think the "Shaquille O'Neal children's hospital" sounds awesome though). I hear he's very charitable.

Think something similar to LeBohner in Memphis for that project, though probably smaller.

It's actually a great thing for the health care system in Louisiana. Baton Rouge area residents will have access to health care centers normally seen in cities much larger.

Edited by cajun

• 1 month later...

Real Estate Weekly.... Property of the Week

AR-131119973.jpg

Baton Rouge General is making progress on this 115,000-square-foot Physician Tower at its Bluebonnet Boulevard campus, with an anticipated opening next spring. The expansion, first announced in September 2011, broke ground in late 2012 and is expected to cost around $40 million. WHLC Architecture designed the tower, and Milton J. Womack is the general contractor. Baton Rouge General has more details on the project, including renderings.
  • Like 1

Project to create South Baton Rouge Medical District beginning soon

The Baton Rouge Area Foundation is close to hiring a consultant team that would help East Baton Rouge Parish create a South Baton Rouge Medical District. As first laid out in broad strokes in FuturEBR, the city-parish master plan, officials hope to leverage the Bluebonnet/Perkins/Essen medical corridor as an economic driver and an important part of the city's brand. A consultant would create a plan for "attracting and retaining top-tier healthcare professionals, providing a dynamic community in which all may live and work, expanding and improving transit options serving the area, and coordinating diverse stakeholders around a shared vision of growth and economic development," according to the request for proposals. While each health care institution has its own internal plans and structure, the RFP says, they could benefit from a governance mechanism that identifies opportunities to collaborate and access tax incentives. Three finalists were interviewed last week, and representatives of the top choice will fly in Monday for a follow-up discussion, says John Spain, BRAF's executive vice president. He declined to identify the firms. Spain says two finalists "blew us away," meaning another strong option is available if a deal can't be reached with the first choice. The plan is to be delivered after 12 to 15 months at a cost of $700,000, the RFP says. —David Jacobs

Businessreport.com

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Me too...sounds promising for the medical corridor!

Along with the new Physicians Tower posted above(#63)....adding a couple of floors to the Patient Tower...it's always been intruiging how they add floors on top of an existing structure...

Business Report Real Estate Property of the Week

THE PIC WON'T SHOW FOR SOME REASON even though I have done this a 100 times.....& IMAGESHACK IS MAKING ME SICK!!!! :sick:  :sick:  :sick:

Property of the Week Baton Rouge General Medical Center celebrated the completion of the steel beam structure for the hospital's patient tower expansion project on Oct. 30. Part of Baton Rouge General's larger facility expansion project on the Bluebonnet campus, the patient tower project will add two floors and 64 beds. It's scheduled for completion next fall. WHLC Architecture designed the tower, and Milton J. Womack is the general contractor.

http://www.businessreport.com/section/businessreport0113

AR-131209960.jpg

Edited by Antrell Williams

I've completed a couple of projects like that. They are even more difficult than they look- especially during bad weather.

You have to appreciate the fact that they are essentially making giant holes in the roof of that hospital while medical treatment continues on the lower floors inside 24/7.....through a wet winter in Louisiana.

Why on earth would this building need a million acres with one entrance? ugh...

A million acres? :-/

There is a lake or canal in front of it.....it's probably not cheap to build multiple entrances over that. It also seems to be near a major highway or expressway (logical for ambulance access).

Is this in the area between Bluebonnet and Essen off between Summa and I-10? Great place for a hospital if that's the case.

It seems to back up to other things though so there is probably other points of entry. It's clearly a very early preliminary drawing.

Looks nice IMO. A top performing Children hospital in Baton Rouge would be a great thing. I imagine this is the OLOL children's center that has been in the works for about a decade. Supposed to be a full service Children's hospital with an ER.

Edited by cajun

So the idea is to add another hospital at Essen/I-10?

Brilliant!

If EBR wants the services of a large city, it needs to fund projects that will help Essen move. It's absurd that Essen is still only two lanes north bound.

And yes, it's a brilliant location for a hospital. It's near the intersection of two major interstates, within minutes of two full service medical centers and a future medical school, and about as close to the center of population for the Capitol area as you can get without leveling parts of the city.

People from all over the gulf coast will be going there. It would be foolish to stick it way out in the ghetto or 20 minutes from the interstate in the sticks.

Edited by cajun

If EBR wants the services of a large city, it needs to fund projects that will help Essen move. It's absurd that Essen is still only two lanes north bound.

And yes, it's a brilliant location for a hospital. It's near the intersection of two major interstates, within minutes of two full service medical centers and a future medical school, and about as close to the center of population for the Capitol area as you can get without leveling parts of the city.

People from all over the gulf coast will be going there. It would be foolish to stick it way out in the ghetto or 20 minutes from the interstate in the sticks.

1) never said put it in a ghetto.

2) the infrastructure won't support a new hospital there. It would need a lot of work and I don't have any confidence BR could improve it. It would probably make it worse.

3) LSU hasn't even sold this land so this is all moot.

4) There's always Essen north of I-10. Not everything has to buffer the interstate for gods sake.

Edited by itsjustme3