Filming in Charlotte

ah59396

Their main set is the block in downtown Mooresville where I work. They packed up last week for NO but said that they will still be leasing the property and may return in a year or two if NC passes incentives again.

This states government has got to be one of the worst in the country....and that is saying a lot. They are so stupid about everything, to name a few; filming, same sex rights (aka coming into the 21st century), alcohol laws, etc.... its beyond terrible.

That's what we get for electing lawmakers who believe in the current Republican ideology

• Like 1

I am NOT defending our current legislature (I agree that they have done tremendous damage to the state). However, I gotta ask. What have they done to alcohol laws that was bad? Did I miss something?

HAH just a minor gripe (yet annoyance) about the can't get liquor and beer in the same place, no happy hours, restrictions on certain sales......its minor stuff but all adds up into just complete backwards thinking about the state.

HAH just a minor gripe (yet annoyance) about the can't get liquor and beer in the same place, no happy hours, restrictions on certain sales......its minor stuff but all adds up into just complete backwards thinking about the state.

I agree with this.  The state legislature just has an extremely antiquated mindset of its populace.  But I suppose that's what we get for electing rich old white guys to represent a state of 10,000,000 people that are nothing like them.

I agree with this.  The state legislature just has an extremely antiquated mindset of its populace.  But I suppose that's what we get for electing rich old white guys to represent a state of 10,000,000 people that are nothing like them.

Yea, this is frustrating that we as voters keep allowing these idiots to be elected. And I get so irritated with people that say "Don't give XYZ tax breaks to bring business here." Sometimes you have to spend money to make money (or in this case take less money to make money). Because if you don't, someone else will. And they will benefit instead of you. That's how the system works. 

• Like 2

Yea, this is frustrating that we as voters keep allowing these idiots to be elected. And I get so irritated with people that say "Don't give XYZ tax breaks to bring business here." Sometimes you have to spend money to make money (or in this case take less money to make money). Because if you don't, someone else will. And they will benefit instead of you. That's how the system works. 

Could not agree more......Especially that last bit, Banshee for example just moved to N.O. So NC...you're not really doing anything except hurting the state, because you're right, they WILL find somewhere else to go, not punishing the film crews.

^^ If you run a moving business, and can save money on where you set up shop, or spend the extra money on better equipment, employees, etc., what would you do?  It isn't filmmakers begging for money, its filmmakers making the best decision for their production.

I know that is the answer, it is just hard to criticize the state for making a decision as to what it sees being in it's best fiscal interest.  And yes I am aware that an economic study was done showing a net positive ROI, however when that study was reviewed by General Assembly's Fiscal Review Division a number of errors were found.  According to the FRD, the state actually ends up losing quite a bit of money from the film industry tax incentives.  Before completely jumping on one side or another I would want to review the results.

I feel that, for the most part, it's pretty straightforward. Incentives= high % of the taxes (from a project that wouldn't be here anyway), many temporary local jobs, many temporary transplants who spend money at local businesses, publicity for the area, more visits to tourist attractions and hotels, etc. No incentives = That in GA, LA, FL instead.

• 1 month later...

A movie called Paper Towns is being filmed in the Charlotte area.  Opening is scheduled for June of 2015.  Looks like they're trying to get under the wire before the film incentives expire.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3622592/

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/carol-motsinger/2014/10/14/casting-call-paper-towns-concord/17240709/

Should be a quality movie, the director did Robot & Frank which was excellent.

So I'll admit I haven't been following the incentives issue beyond knowing it was under attack and that productions have trickled down, but I thought it was an anticipation thing rather than it being confirmed that they were expiring. What is the likelihood of incentives being revived/saved by a future legislature, or has this done irreparable harm to the state film and tv industry? I haven't gotten a straight answer on exactly how dire things are.

Forgot to mention this, but about a week or two back I heard a report that three tv projects were going to be leaving the Wilmington area after current seasons are wrapped up. One was either Arrow or Gotham, can't quite remember, and the other two escape me. The capping of incentives at 5 million were quoted as the reason.

Incentives aren't completely gone. Supposedly now instead of getting a percentage back of what was spent the max payout is capped at the 5 million. I feel that will make NC extremely unattractive to tv shows especially if an entire season is counted as one project, but low budget and indie films might still find the area attractive since they most likely wouldn't be spending all that much on production in the first place.

• 4 months later...

Forgot to mention that the pilot for Outcast (Cinemax show by the creator of Walking Dead) was filmed in Rock Hill/Fort Mill this winter and was picked up as a 10 episode series. My wife talked with one of the local actors on the show recently but they still didn't know if the regular series filming would take place in the Rock Hill area or not. 

• 3 months later...