The SoBro | 32 stories 345 ft | 3rd & Demonbreun

smeagolsfree

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Any news on this?  From what I understand Tony G has the financial backing to begin and that bid documents have been recently sent out. Has anyone heard anything else or differentI

It sure would be nice to know something, or what the resurrected project is.  

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

According to Ron, our moderator, Tony has two general contractors bidding for the job, and if he cannot get the yellow building he is going to put the tower on top of the garage making it 43 stories instead of 33. He got this information from a forum poster on another site.

According to Ron, our moderator, Tony has two general contractors bidding for the job, and if he cannot get the yellow building he is going to put the tower on top of the garage making it 43 stories instead of 33. He got this information from a forum poster on another site.

Is Insighter posting again?! LOL I need to seriously go check that site out again, though.

So would it be wrong for us to hope Tony can't purchase the yellow building?

Would the tower being built on top of the garage jeopardize any ground level retail?

Edited by arkitekte

It depends on how its done and the materials used in the facade. 

I agree.  Especially if the parking garage is wrapped with retail space and like you said about the materials being used.  Who knows what this building is going to look like now. I'm just anxious to see it start.

What exactly is the yellow building?  Surprised that whatever it is, that they would not sell.  If they were to sell in the future, is the plot of land large enough to construct anything substantial?

Thinking about the rumor that 10 floors (of parking) may be added to the SoBro, I wondered what the ultimate height in feet might be.

The first proposal was to be 29 floors at 395 ft. The floor to floor distance for the floors containing apartments figures to be 11.3 ft.

Sobro_SE.jpg

Apparently (unofficially) a rendering of a 33 story building was later released of a plan designed by the architects who designed the 86 story, 859 ft. Aqua Condos in Chicago. The 434' height on the diagram cannot be confirmed as official.

14SBSBApts_zpse0fc887b.jpg

The Aqua in Chicago.

Chicago2010117_zpsd3a59c0b.jpg

The Aqua has less than a 10' floor to floor height.

So....if the new architects use their formula for floor to floor (ftf), the revised 33 story building would be in the 330' tall range. If the original 11.3 ' ftf is applied, the building  would reach about 440'

Now, talk of putting the building on top of 10 floors of above ground parking means the building would increase in height by 106', meaning the total height could be as 'small' as 435' or as tall as 546'.

This would significantly impact not only the SoBro skyline, but the entire downtown.

My unofficial revised rendering (with apologies).

SoBro43_zps52ccd556.jpg

And against the whole skyline without the additional 10 floors (again unofficial).

SoBroAptSkyline_zps3a94a2a2.jpg

• Like 4

Since this project was first proposed in November 2011, I wonder if this will ever happen, and I wonder if it will even look like any of the above renderings. You would think with almost 1.7 million in the CSA there would be more demand for downtown apartments or condos especially since there is a waiting list, but since the Ray Hensler Tower is out of the ground, that may have stolen some of Tony's thunder. Since the Regions tower may go residential, and since Tony cannot get the yellow building, do you think he is actually going to  build The Sobro?

It should be an interesting next few months.

Since this project was first proposed in November 2011, I wonder if this will ever happen, and I wonder if it will even look like any of the above renderings. You would think with almost 1.7 million in the CSA there would be more demand for downtown apartments or condos especially since there is a waiting list, but since the Ray Hensler Tower is out of the ground, that may have stolen some of Tony's thunder. Since the Regions tower may go residential, and since Tony cannot get the yellow building, do you think he is actually going to  build The Sobro?

It should be an interesting next few months.

Patience! There are a lot of projects that are proposed that don't start for a year or two (for various reasons), but eventually come through. 

There is a demand for downtown/core units...but I think we're seeing that there is more demand for living on the periphery (Germantown, Midtown, The Gulch, Rolling Mill Hill). I don't think that it kills any hope of Tony building the SoBro. I think he's riding the market right now. The market seems to be saying build in Midtown. 

There are a lot of rental units U/C right now, so I could understand where lenders/investors might want to see just how quickly things are absorbed before giving the all-clear, though.

Btw -- the MSA is now ~1,727,000 (added Maury County from the CSA). The CSA is now ~1,845,000 (added Bedford, Marshall, and interestingly Lawrence Counties).

^^^thats getting a little preposterous IMO. Lawrenceburg is 80 miles away (1:45 drive) from Nashville. What's the point of combining people from there to Nashville. Is there any relevance?

These MSA's & CSA's are becoming a bunch of worthless numbers if you ask me.

Agreed, and people in those communities do NOT wanted to be classified as Nashvillian's. If they did, they would chose to live in Nashville. Some people want a small town life, and that is fine and chances are these people have never been to Nashville, so why count them? It's like counting a spire on a building to achieve height. It's just a worthless number.

^^^thats getting a little preposterous IMO. Lawrenceburg is 80 miles away (1:45 drive) from Nashville. What's the point of combining people from there to Nashville. Is there any relevance?

These MSA's & CSA's are becoming a bunch of worthless numbers if you ask me.

They are based on commuting patterns. It's not something that cities can exactly pick and choose. Plus, with so many rural areas struggling, residents there have to look to the larger cities for jobs. It's also worth mentioning that commuters in these counties don't have to commute to Nashville. Some might have jobs in the suburbs or exurbs. Most folks in Shelbyville aren't driving to Nashville. If they leave the county, they're most likely headed to Murfreesboro.

Same with Lawrenceburg. They're not driving to Nashville....they're driving to Columbia and Spring Hill, which are a more manageable distance.

I'm not saying I completely agree with the methodology (I would rather see it separated out into Census tracts, rather than using county totals -- especially when you consider the wide variance in size of counties across the nation).

In Nashville's case, a lot of the reason for the relatively large size of our metro has to do with isolation. There aren't any sizable cities (not going to count Clarksville) within 100 miles in every direction. In a lot of cases, 150-200 miles. On top of that, of those cities within 100-200 miles, we're the largest...so people in the in-between areas are more likely to use our city's amenities (shopping/dining options/entertainment/airport/etc) than another city. In other words, our sphere of influence is larger geographically than a lot of other cities our size.

Agreed, and people in those communities do NOT wanted to be classified as Nashvillian's. If they did, they would chose to live in Nashville. Some people want a small town life, and that is fine and chances are these people have never been to Nashville, so why count them? It's like counting a spire on a building to achieve height. It's just a worthless number.

It's not a popularity contest, John. It's a numbers game.