Augusta Road

vicupstate

Master Plan: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/forms/AugustaRoadMP.pdf Public hearing at 4:00 pm on December 8th at the Planning and Zoning meeting, 10th floor City Hall.

This area deserves a kind of upgrade and gateway status it could potentially see. It's exciting to see that many of the reference pictures were actually taken from Greenville, basically noting how much has been done right in other areas of the City. :thumbsup:

I noticed major changes for Potomac Corners, the large commercial center at Augusta Road and Potomac Avenue. An Ingle's supermarket once anchored the site 30 years ago, but closed because of unsatisfactory performance. It has since catered to Helig-Myers and Badcock furniture chains. Plans call for a national retailer to occupy 78,000 square feet of new space. One wonders if a supermarket can thrive here again, as Augusta Road has lacked one for 14 years, or if a department store chain may take notice.

• 4 months later...

The shopping center across the street from Starbucks is about to experience some major changes. Expect to see a CVS and the likely demolition of the entire strip. Coronas will stay.

CVS isn't worried about cannibalizing its downtown store's sales? Same for Publix, if it's moving into Lewis Plaza?

CVS isn't worried about cannibalizing its downtown store's sales? Same for Publix, if it's moving into Lewis Plaza?

They'd be pulling from different markets. The CVS downtown was built specifically for downtown workers/residents and the same is true for the Publix, especially since the Bi-lo on Faris is closed. Also who knows, the Publix might be a Greenwise Publix.

I've always noticed that, other than "Augusta Road Baptist Church", Augusta Road doesn't really begin until you're near (or outside the City). Augusta Street is really the appropriate name for the area we are talking about, and the one I prefer in general.

Back on topic: I think there's some exciting urban developments coming to an already decently urban street. Good pedestrian bones and focus exist, but a stronger pedestrian influence would be GREAT to see!

They'd be pulling from different markets. The CVS downtown was built specifically for downtown workers/residents and the same is true for the Publix, especially since the Bi-lo on Faris is closed. Also who knows, the Publix might be a Greenwise Publix.

Is that the BiLo across from Tech? Or was there another one?

The one across from Tech.

Wow, but then again, when I lived on Cleveland St I just shopped at Publix anyways. BiLo just stopped taking care of their stores, and it shows. Is the Dollar General still in business at Lewis Plaza, or has that gone the way of the buffalo as well? Will Publix go where the health food store is / was in the back of the plaza? Sorry for the questions, but it's been almost 6 years since I've been back there.

It will be sooooooo nice to see CVS join Walgreens and Dollar General......yep, Augusta is turning into a gem of a street............

And a Starbucks, 32 degrees, Zoe's Kitchen, Davanis, Coplan's, Augusta Grill, Talbots, Foxfire, Chicos, Roots, Palmetto Olive Oil, Fleet Feet, Runin and a possible Publix. Should I go on? I agree, Augusta St is turning into a "gem of a street."

Thanks melvIlle. I forgot about the current CVS. Hope the city does better at forcing the new CVS and Publix developers to build up to the street in an urban format, than they did with Walgreens. Walgreen's sea of parking and setback building should never have been allowed on the corner it occupies.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Augusta Road updates:

YWCA project is being redesigned to not be gated, and have units facing Augusta.

4 Townhouses going up at Prentiss and Augusta.

Expect word soon about a project for the Augusta and Grove Rd. intersection.     

CVS at Faris and Augusta should start in 1-2 months. 

Two storefronts across from CVS site will receive renovations to include outdoor dining similar to the nearby Starbucks. 

Sphinx on Augusta will receive some upgrades.  

Augusta Road updates:

YWCA project is being redesigned to not be gated, and have units facing Augusta.

4 Townhouses going up at Prentiss and Augusta.

Expect word soon about a project for the Augusta and Grove Rd. intersection.     

CVS at Faris and Augusta should start in 1-2 months. 

Two storefronts across from CVS site will receive renovations to include outdoor dining similar to the nearby Starbucks. 

Sphinx on Augusta will receive some upgrades.  

Will the 4 townhouses at Prentiss be facing Augusta with parking in the back? Which corner is the CVS going on at that intersection and which two storefronts are renovating?

Thanks!