Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Talk about an infrastructure improvement. I also didn't realize that park was that old.

Yup, and you can't see the old CFHoF&Museum (blt in the mid-1960s) just to the right of those parked buses, and a sill-in-use Greyhound GM model PD-4501, the twin-engine Scenicruiser (just above the intersection), the original U.S. intercity double-decker* bus, produced during the mid-1950s.  The bus in front of the Scenicruiser, was a GM PD-4104, perhaps ubiquitous and the de-facto standard of GM's reign during its production period 1953-1960.  The foremost coach docked at the right was a GM model 4106, produced during the early '60s, the one behind it having been an MCI (Motor Coach Industries) model, the mfgr. of which Greyhound itself eventually acquired.  These alone show how old this pic is, since the first 3 of these four were nearly all retired from revenue service by 1980.  Many of the readers of this forum have never even seen a Scenicruiser, much less ridden one, and likely weren't yet born before they were scrapped or converted to motor homes.
-==-

*Double-decker only by name, but actually a split-decker.  Design inspired by long-distance, western (and a few eastern) sightseeing passenger-train cars known generically by the name "Vista-Dome", constructed with an elevated framed glass top and with elevated seating and or tables (a.k.a. "Strata-", "Astra-", "Great-", and "Super-Dome").  The Scenicruiser was designed to emulate the railroad counterpart sensation of "riding high" and open, as this bus also had been fitted with glass roof panels. IMHO Vista-domes afforded a far more spectacular and comfortable passenger experience.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

There was an interesting tidbit in the Tennessean today in regards to transportation funding.  http://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/columnists/david-plazas/2015/08/07/gov-haslam-transportation-path-were-wont-work/31273021/

When Haslam was asked about Nashville traffic he mentioned that Nashville was a semi finalist for a FORTUNE 50 company to relocate its headquarters here.  He also stated that they were interested in locating downtown. 

A Fortune 50 locating downtown would require a pretty large development.

• Like 1

There was an interesting tidbit in the Tennessean today in regards to transportation funding.  http://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/columnists/david-plazas/2015/08/07/gov-haslam-transportation-path-were-wont-work/31273021/

When Haslam was asked about Nashville traffic he mentioned that Nashville was a semi finalist for a FORTUNE 50 company to relocate its headquarters here.  He also stated that they were interested in locating downtown. 

A Fortune 50 locating downtown would require a pretty large development.

Here's a list of the Fortune 500...so I guess we can just look at the top 50 to see who could possibly be considering us.

http://fortune.com/fortune500/

• Like 1

Here's a list of the Fortune 500...so I guess we can just look at the top 50 to see who could possibly be considering us.

http://fortune.com/fortune500/

Literally tabbed over to do exactly that while you were posting. My top picks from the list: Cardinal Health (currently have office in LaVergne): Walgreens, and Aetna...

• Like 2

Speculation -

Walgreens - In high tax IL. Pitched a plan to move to UK to avoid high Corp taxes during the Boots merger, but was forced to stay in US by shareholders. Negotiating with Chicago to move HQ to Old post office ... incentives rumored to be 40-50 MIL. Has enlisted real estate firm of Jones Lang Lasalle to help find location(s)...we all know the cozy relationship between JLL and Haslam... 3500 jobs potentially.

Edited by Guest

I'd put Aetna, CVS, and Cardinal in my top 3 most likely. I too heard rumors about Aetna wanting to relocate since back when I worked in the healthcare management, Cardinal Health for the reasons stated above, and CVS because of, A) the reasons Ron mentioned, and B) Woonsocket, RI is somewhat of a city in decline that I could see them wanting to relocate out of.

• Like 1

Story on NPR Morning Edition this morning about Nashville's "white hot rental market."     There was an interesting point made in the interviews that rental rates in Nashville have risen across the entire city, rather than in certain "hot" neighborhoods - described as a phenomenon not seen anywhere else.     Only 11% of rental stock is considered affordable.      

http://www.npr.org/2015/08/10/431136327/in-music-city-rents-keep-going-up-and-up

Here's the quote from Jim Fraser on Vanderbilt faculty who studies urban housing:

FRASER: Almost every neighborhood in the city at the same time is being gentrified, which is really an odd phenomenon. We haven't seen this in any other city across the country at this level at this rate.

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 4

NBJ is basically replicating Ron's idea of the project map with their own product, site goes live on Friday. Ours, on the other hand, seems to be dead/broken.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2015/08/crane-watch-nbj-new-tool-coming-friday.html

We will not stand for this sort of sabotage. Vengeance will be ours!

• Like 1

Ron needs to make sure they are not breaking copyright laws, but if the design is different, there is nothing he can to unfortunately.

I don't think there's any copyright ownership, anyway. Hence the term "community" in the website. Either way, will be interesting to see what their tool has. I chirped them on twitter about it.

#CraneWatch is live and sponsored, of course, by Tony...

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/datacenter/crane-watch.html

Well, allow me to be one of many to thank Ron for his hard work in keeping our long-running development map up to date. It has been a great resource for me and likely many thousands of nameless visitors that have happened across it.

I'm all for the continuing of our own map since it probably has more information on it anyway. However, Ron, if you've been looking for an excuse to pass that duty off to someone else, this is a great opportunity. What NBJ has put together looks pretty solid and seems like it could be very reliable.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 2