Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I want a real observation tower, not developments that reflect something garish or ugly. Please, no theme parks, thrill rides, rollercoasters and the like. I still am not pleased with the Top Golf development. I think Nashville is above that now. Save that for Vegas, Disney Land, Disney World, Gatlinburg, or Holiday World.

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 1

So what about all the the other larger metro areas with theme parks? A theme park can benefit the local economy by keeping more money here, instead of going to Louisville, Atlanta, or Gatlinburg. Opryland, while kitschy, did fairly well and it being gone left a hole that should've been filled in by now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paramount747 said:

I want a real observation tower, not developments that reflect something garish or ugly. Please, no theme parks, thrill rides, rollercoasters and the like. I still am not pleased with the Top Golf development. I think Nashville is above that now. Save that for Vegas, Disney Land, Disney World, Gatlinburg, or Holiday World.

Uh...what??  I can understand taking issue with the location of the Top Golf, perhaps.  That could certainly be debated, and I have my own reservations about whether the river bank directly across from downtown is the best place for it.  But I get the impression that it's location has little to do with why you "aren't pleased" with it.  What do you mean Nashville is "above that now?" Nashville is "above" entertainment?  You realize it's basically just like a Dave and Busters with a driving range, right?  I guess I just don't understand what it is about a bar with a driving range attatched that you are so opposed to.  Did you watch that short video I dug up for you about it?  It does a great job shedding light on what it's all about.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

I am not a golfer and Top Golf is extremely well done and the one I have been to in Atlanta is fantastic.  Great for families, business outings, groups and anyone can play, you don't have to be a golfer.  Food is typical of sports bars, but not bad.  Can't imagine why anyone would be against Top Golf going in on the East Bank where we have ugly warehouses, run down motels, etc. 

On 11/9/2015, 9:24:44, Paramount747 said:

Stix is to be 27 sticks and there are 8 completed. 19 more to go. Should be a few more months. WW was going to check on it.

3 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Uh...what??  I can understand taking issue with the location of the Top Golf, perhaps.  That could certainly be debated, and I have my own reservations about whether the river bank directly across from downtown is the best place for it.  But I get the impression that it's location has little to do with why you "aren't pleased" with it.  What do you mean Nashville is "above that now?" Nashville is "above" entertainment?  You realize it's basically just like a Dave and Busters with a driving range, right?  I guess I just don't understand what it is about a bar with a driving range attatched that you are so opposed to.  Did you watch that short video I dug up for you about it?  It does a great job shedding light on what it's all about.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I just think the area would be better served by being converted to a mixed use urban neighborhood with a nice grocery store, retail amenities, and a pedestrian friendly living space. We need more residential in the urban core, and this is the perfect place for such a neighborhood, much like what was envisioned for the PCS Metals site that never materialized. Top Golf would be better suited for Bellevue, Opry Mills, Antioch, Murfreesboro, or somewhere out of the city. This land is too valuable for an enterprise that in five years maybe a failed one. These types of businesses come and go all of the time, and downtown Nashville has enough "entertainment". It's time for Nashville to stop pandering to entertainment and tourists and build some sustainable urban neighborhoods, especially near the river.

I am not against Top Golf per se, but Top Golf is more of a suburban activity. It's not an "urban" destination point. 

That blighted area could be filed with 10 mixed use 5-10 story apartment and condo towers followed by dozens of town homes and urban retailers. That would be a better fit. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

It could also be a site for a more imaginative development, like what the Danish firm BIG designed for Pittsburgh, which sounds like it might actually get built.

That's an interesting concept.  I'm not sure what to think about it.  Those buildings almost look like something left behind from the Aztecs...which is either really cool or kinda spooky.  Very imaginative, though.

7 hours ago, Paramount747 said:

I just think the area would be better served by being converted to a mixed use urban neighborhood with a nice grocery store, retail amenities, and a pedestrian friendly living space. We need more residential in the urban core, and this is the perfect place for such a neighborhood, much like what was envisioned for the PCS Metals site that never materialized. Top Golf would be better suited for Bellevue, Opry Mills, Antioch, Murfreesboro, or somewhere out of the city. This land is too valuable for an enterprise that in five years maybe a failed one. These types of businesses come and go all of the time, and downtown Nashville has enough "entertainment". It's time for Nashville to stop pandering to entertainment and tourists and build some sustainable urban neighborhoods, especially near the river.

I am not against Top Golf per se, but Top Golf is more of a suburban activity. It's not an "urban" destination point. 

That blighted area could be filed with 10 mixed use 5-10 story apartment and condo towers followed by dozens of town homes and urban retailers. That would be a better fit. 

Now that I can agree on.  Thanks John for the expounding.  I apologize for taking your initial comments out of context. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Nashville property tax increases will be historic come 2017 (averaging 25% jump):

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2015/11/22/nashville-property-values-increasing-historic-clip/76111386/

Well some places will be, while others will see decreases. The overall amount of dollars brought in will remain the same. It would be more accurate to say "Nashville property values have seen a large increase". The new appraisals will speed the pace of gentrification in some areas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nashville property tax increases will be historic come 2017 (averaging 25% jump):

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2015/11/22/nashville-property-values-increasing-historic-clip/76111386/

Misleading post. As samsonh stated, the amount of tax collected will not increase due to the assessment. Only those places where property values have increased more quickly than the city as a whole will experience increased property taxes. Others areas will experience property tax decreases.

Edited by Rockatansky

3 hours ago, samsonh said:

Well some places will be, while others will see decreases. The overall amount of dollars brought in will remain the same. It would be more accurate to say "Nashville property values have seen a large increase". The new appraisals will speed the pace of gentrification in some areas.

giphy.gif

On November 20, 2015 at 5:10:38 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Now that I can agree on.  Thanks John for the expounding.  I apologize for taking your initial comments out of context. 

No worries! I don't always explain things well. Top Golf will definitely be an amenity, but sustainable urban neighborhoods for me is the best Idea. An area like Bellevue which is trying to reinvent itself would be a perfect location. They would get a lot of Cool Springs, and Dickson traffic, and yet only 10 miles from downtown for locals.

Top Golf In place of West End Summit? Hmmmmm, now that could be interesting huh?

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 3

On 11/20/2015, 9:41:29, Paramount747 said:

Overall, I agree with John on this.

I would be OK with a nice Ferris Wheel on the east bank. The "roller coaster/observation tower" does seem a bit cartoonish. And TopGolf ... seems like a fine business and nice looking building BUT ... John is right. It might work better elsewhere. But I'm not opposed to it on that site.

WW

Urban Land Institute meeting this morning... Some sobering numbers on the apartment front coming. Will wait for the media to report with the stats. Apartment growth will slow...and actually that is a good thing... as we need to let what we have fill.

Also Parthenon in Color from the Tenn video

http://www.tennessean.com/videos/news/local/davidson%20/2015/12/01/76606124/

• Like 2

Just now, smeagolsfree said:

Urban Land Institute meeting this morning... Some sobering numbers on the apartment front coming. Will wait for the media to report with the stats. Apartment growth will slow...and actually that is a good thing... as we need to let what we have fill.

Also Parthenon in Color from the Tenn video

http://www.tennessean.com/videos/news/local/davidson%20/2015/12/01/76606124/

There is a lot of inventory on the apartment front coming online in mid to late 2016 and early 2017. And I have noticed vacancy signs where there used to be none on many buildings.

5 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

2016 is going to be interesting for Nashville's multifamily market.  3x the amount of product coming online as in 2015, at quite high prices.  

http://www.forbes.com/sites/axiometrics/2015/11/30/brooklyn-the-king-of-apartment-construction/

Apartment-Data-Submarket-Pipeline.jpg

Here is more info from the Post.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2015/12/1/uli_report_nashville_sees_real_estate_opporunities_as_18_hour_city

My guess with these numbers one or both things may happen.

Apartments switching to Condos and apartment prices drop in the core and attract more people to the core and pushing more construction in two to three years.

• Like 1