Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

That whole area south of 5-Points seems ready for a little mini-development boom. Two buildings on the corner of 10th & Shelby (including one that was burnt out) have been torn down and the Fannie Battle preschool on the north side of Shelby between 9th & 10th is being leveled as we speak. There are also a few other empty lots right around there.

That whole area south of 5-Points seems ready for a little mini-development boom. Two buildings on the corner of 10th & Shelby (including one that was burnt out) have been torn down and the Fannie Battle preschool on the north side of Shelby between 9th & 10th is being leveled as we speak. There are also a few other empty lots right around there.

Not to mention the corner of S 5th and Shelby, the northeast corner, which is currently fenced off and windows boarded. Can we expect a similar revitalization of that portion of ghetto that we experienced with the west side of town? Haven't seen anything on it.

Not to mention the corner of S 5th and Shelby, the northeast corner, which is currently fenced off and windows boarded. Can we expect a similar revitalization of that portion of ghetto that we experienced with the west side of town? Haven't seen anything on it.

Those are being renovated. The contract was awarded a while back. I am not sure but I think the high rise building is going to be renovated as well. This is all being doen by MDHA

Those are being renovated. The contract was awarded a while back. I am not sure but I think the high rise building is going to be renovated as well. This is all being doen by MDHA

Unfortunately, the Hope VI grants that led to converting former projects into the pastel villages are now gone. Over on Shelby, the Edgefield Manor high-rise has already been re-done. The duplexes are being redone now and they will look a little different. A lot of this work is being done for purposes of energy efficiency. Keep in mind that the stuff on the north side of Shelby is more senior housing. Or at least that is the intent. The south side of Shelby is more of the ghetto problem area, although those problems definitely spill over to surrounding blocks.

There is definitely a lot of vacant land atop the hill around 10th/Shelby with great views of downtown. Right at the top of that is Powell Design Studio, which has been doing a lot of new construction/renovation work in the area, including the two Queene Anne cottages on South 11th that went from dilapidated to excellent. Powell also did the work on East Side Smiles and Walden. I like their work and would like to see them or another similar company master plan the 10th/Shelby properties similar to Martin's Corner around 11th/Fatherland if all of that could be acquired by one landowner.

Edited by bwithers1

This is interesting... a bit out of date, but I'd guess still accurate:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/06/bohemian-index/57658/

BohemianTable1.jpg

Surprised to see Nashville that high. I knew it was traditionally considered a pretty "bohemian" type of city, but wow, up there with LA, NYC, Toronto, Vancouver and DC. Of course, I'm also not surprised to see that Memphis is at the bottom. Does anyone actually still live there, or is it full of mannequins that the census bureau keeps mistaking for people? Okay, that was a little mean, but still, I really don't like that city...

• Like 2

Surprised to see Nashville that high.

I was too. I took a look at the criteria. The article states that "the index charts the concentration of working artists, musicians, writers, designers, and entertainers across metropolitan areas." Nashville's entertainment industry does employ a lot of folks in these categories: musicians/writers/designers/entertainers. Now the political bent of many of these individuals may not be "bohemian" depending on your point of view, but the census information doesn't count religious or political affiliation, just area of employment.

Looks like the office vacancy rate is going down, and is quite a bit below the historical average at 10.3%:

http://www.colliers....Office_4Q11.pdf

Some interesting points include the fact that Downtown has the highest direct vacancy rate at 18.1%, down from 19.3 in Q3 and 21% in Q1. Green Hills and Music Row have the lowest at 4.5%. West End took a slight hit, going up from 6.6% in Q3 to 6.7% in Q4.

Class A space, the most prestigious high-dollar locations is at a low 6.9%, with an overall average asking rate of $22.57/sqft.

Best quote: “I expect we’ll see a steady increase of

speculative building over the course of the

year,” states managing partner Nate

Greene, CCIM. “This will launch positive

growth that will be great for Nashville’s

economy and with such a strong business

climate already, Nashville is going to really

excel in 2012.”

Edited by Volanova

Looks like the office vacancy rate is going down, and is quite a bit below the historical average at 10.3%:

http://www.colliers....Office_4Q11.pdf

Some interesting points include the fact that Downtown has the highest direct vacancy rate at 18.1%, down from 19.3 in Q3 and 21% in Q1. Green Hills and Music Row have the lowest at 4.5%. West End took a slight hit, going up from 6.6% in Q3 to 6.7% in Q4.

Class A space, the most prestigious high-dollar locations is at a low 6.9%, with an overall average asking rate of $22.57/sqft.

Best quote: “I expect we’ll see a steady increase of

speculative building over the course of the

year,” states managing partner Nate

Greene, CCIM. “This will launch positive

growth that will be great for Nashville’s

economy and with such a strong business

climate already, Nashville is going to really

excel in 2012.”

I am hoping that ServiceSource and their 300 jobs for the next year or so can net them naming rights to a building. They will be taking up some of that excess space available downtown.

Also, random note - HCA building a $200M Data Center at the Crossings in Antioch. My selling hat is on, I want a piece of that business. Even if it's just 5%!

I am hoping that ServiceSource and their 300 jobs for the next year or so can net them naming rights to a building. They will be taking up some of that excess space available downtown.

Also, random note - HCA building a $200M Data Center at the Crossings in Antioch. My selling hat is on, I want a piece of that business. Even if it's just 5%!

I just hope we don't end up with a situation like downtown Charlotte, where you have huge vacancy rates after the Wachovia-Wells Fargo merger. I keep hearing that it's a ghost town down there these days.

HCA data center going in Antioch.

http://www.tennessea...create-155-jobs

Quick excerpt:

HCA will invest more than $200 million to build a new data center in Antioch and upgrade its technology as part of an expansion that will create 155 jobs over five years, state and city officials said Wednesday.

The Nashville-based hospital chain expects to start building the 96,000-square-foot data center this summer on 55 acres of vacant land that it bought for $2.2 million four months ago.

When the work is done by the end of next year, HCA plans to move a 24/7, 70-employee regional data center there, which now operates from a single floor in an office building at the company’s Nashville corporate campus.

Edited by timmay143

Nashville considers 60% tax break for HCA center

http://www.tennessea...reak-HCA-center

They should give HCA a tax break only if they consider consolidating their HQ by moving it from the ugly, dated, spread out, low rise buildings in a hidden corner of the city, to a large skyscraper downtown like, say 505CST perhaps? Seems like it'd be a win-win for both the company and the city. I can dream, can't I? :)

Edited by BnaBreaker

East Nashville update: 703 Woodland Apartments are facing financing difficulties. I spoke with a person from the Edgefield Neighborhood Association recently, who relayed to me that the 703 Woodland workforce-housing apartment proposal is facing financing difficulties at the moment. Stay tuned.

The 3000sf condo in the "octagon building" is stll listed for sale, and has been a while. It seems the building's new owner has yet to acquire the condo, and probably doesn't want to pay anything close to the listing price.

http://ww2.villagerealestate.com/cms/page1110.cfm?presto_view=popup&MlsNum=1250855&agent_style_id=DEUTSCHM

Anyone been keeping up with this? http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120311/NEWS01/303110069/-1/7daysarchives/Hillsboro-Village-residents-plan-clog-street-protest

From the way that article reads, Central Parking expanded operations at this facility without taking into account the need for expanded parking or commuter infrastructure, which has led to some pretty terrible situations for the residents and employees alike. On top of that, they have also has seemingly refused to encourage employees to seek alternate transportation via foot, bicycle or shuttle bus:

“Unfortunately, solutions proposed by the neighbors, such as encouraging employees to ride bikes to work or take shuttle buses, would either greatly inconvenience company employees or would create safety issues given the fact the corporate office is right off busy 21st Avenue,” the company said.

Seriously? I know a LOT of people (Vandy students for instance) that commute on 21st and don't use their cars. And while it sucks for the workers (it's not the employees fault their company is this short sighted), I'm in a somewhat similar situation where I live, so I'm very sympathetic to the residents. The apartment I've lived in for the last 4 years was recently purchsed by a doctor, who wanted to move in his practice and merge it with the dentist on the bottom floor. This has turned the parking situation in the building into something unmanageable during the day. Between added employees and patients, and the fact that my car stays there during the day (I take the train to work), has made it so that if I have the day off and need to move my car, I invariably have to go in and get someone who has double parked to move their vehicle.