Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Seriously, Atlanta? Figure out an original name for your crappy developments...

https://en.wikipedia...h_%28Atlanta%29

Ugh, ridiculous. It seems like much of what Atlanta does is based around trying to copy a bigger city or 'one-up' any city that is a threat to it's stronghold on the region.

The area has been known as such since the 1920's. I'm trying to understand what all the uproar is about?

No idea, don't particularly care

However. I don't know what I had hoped for on this piece of land, but c'mon, really? This seems like such a waste, if he in fact puts a station there.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/03/14/smartmart-ceo-buys-6-acre-nashville.html

The area has been known as such since the 1920's. I'm trying to understand what all the uproar is about?

My impression was that the name had only recently been applied as a future development location. If that's incorrect, then please forgive my misplaced ire. :)

No idea, don't particularly care

However. I don't know what I had hoped for on this piece of land, but c'mon, really? This seems like such a waste, if he in fact puts a station there.

http://www.bizjourna...-nashville.html

Hmm.... Interesting concept. Wonder if this could have any impact on petty crime in an area if often-robbed convenience stores were replaced with non-staffed ones...

Hmm.... Interesting concept. Wonder if this could have any impact on petty crime in an area if often-robbed convenience stores were replaced with non-staffed ones...

That is an interesting concept. I know that in Ohio there are beer/wine/cigarrettes drive-throughs, but there are people working there, whereas this one is "automated." Who will check IDs? Is this just a very large vending machine? And why such a large parcel? That seems like a waste to me.

Interesting fact from the latest census data: 37.8% of housing units in Nashville are part of multiple-unit structures (that is, 62.2% of units are single family dwellings). The state average is 18.1%.

For comparison:

South

Atlanta - 53.4%

Houston - 46.6%

New Orleans - 40.9%

Charlotte - 33.5%

Jacksonville - 28.2%

Northeast/Midwest

New York - 83.4%

Boston - 82.2%

Chicago - 70.1%

Washington, DC - 61.7%

Philadelphia - 32.8% (suspect this low number is due to the preponderance of row houses)

West

San Francisco - 66.6%

Los Angeles - 53.7%

Seattle - 50.0%

Denver - 44.9%

Sorry to post this here, I'm sure there's a thread on this topic somewhere else, but is there any news on the Eakin Tower that is proposed in the Gulch? I want to say that I read that they wanted to break ground in March or April, but I could be mistaken about that.

East Nashville Development Proposal: Next Phase of Martin's Corner in East Nashville

Above is a link to the Metro Historic Zoning Commission docket for the next phase of Martin's Corner in East Nashville (10th and Fatherland, just south of Five Points). Earlier phases of Martin's Corner included the rehab of the historic appliance store, the new-construction 37206 mixed use building, and a townhouse development across the street. This proposal is to add a couple of commercial buildings facing Fatherland Street to match the old Kendall's appliance building that now houses Wax Nashville and Far East Nashville asian restaurant. Then it looks like there would be sort of modular buildings behind that would be like the ones on Woodland next to Art & Invention gallery.

This looks pretty cool to me overall.

I know that the modular buildings on Woodland are a hit. And with all of the small businesses popping up in East Nashville, leasing for what little small office/retail environments there are (such as the Paro South Creative Solutions building at 7th/Main) are strong. I would expect this development to lease well also.

More East Nashville Updates:

The leasing agents for the Martin's Corner additions described above (the incubator buildings to go near 10th and Fatherland) are reporting that leasing is going very well and they hope to start construction soon.

There is also a plan in place for the Southeast Corner of 10th/Shelby that is just in the conceptual phase so far. I hope that it works out for them. This is a prime spot.http://10thandshelby.com/10th__shelby for live/work space. There is more land ripe for development along 10th. Plus the Fanny Battle site just a 1/2 block east of this site towards downtown is now cleared. (Fanny Battle Day Home For Children moved into the old East Academy building on Chapel Ave behind Rosepepper Cantina last year).

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Anyone have any idea what the lot next to Red Door Midtown is going to be? They are tearing down the old abandoned house on the corner or Division and 19th. That corner has a ton of potential, but my guess is that it will become a bar.

Good question,

I was with William the other day and we saw the demo work going on. I 'llshoot an email to him to see if he found out anything.

According to the online Metro property records, this lot was just purchased on March 8 by RC & KJ PROPERTIES, LLC. The mailing address is 854 FOREST ACRES DR, and the lot is zoned for a low-rise office building. Here's the deed to the property:

http://maps.nashville.gov/rod/2012/03/09/201203090020597.tif

Anyone have any idea what the lot next to Red Door Midtown is going to be? They are tearing down the old abandoned house on the corner or Division and 19th. That corner has a ton of potential, but my guess is that it will become a bar.

10-unit affordable housing apartment complex with 3 retail units coming to 3rd Ave South and Chestnut.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120327/NEWS01/303270075/1969/NEWS

Urban Housing Solutions does good work in the affordable housing space. You could say that they were doing it before it was cool :) This should be more great news for the Chestnut Hill neighborhood immediately south of the interstate loop.