Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I am not so sure I want people who don't realize Nashville is more than country music to care about our city. Country music is a large part of our identity, but anyone with some sense would realize Nashville is more than country music and even music, just like any other city. Hopefully, artist like Jack White (I saw him at Melrose pool hall a few months ago!), Kings of Leon, etc. represent Nashville (i.e. mention, sign, t-shirt, etc.) everytime they get national exposure. I try to represent Nashville to people as much as I can.

I hope this show does really well. I LOVE seeing our cityscape all over that preview!!

Still hearing rumors of several hotel companies looking DT.. and plans for the thermal site as well.. The project at Wedgewood Village is under construction as well. I think we will have a number of major projects under construction by the end of the year. I was thinking by about this time we would know a little more on a few of them by now, but the future is bright IMO, and we may get some surprises. I am an optomist though.

Prediction center says Stand By. Dont know anything solid just a lot of rumors, speculation, and timing involved and some of it may hinge on the Metro Tax increase.. BTW, I didnt hear what happened on the first test of that increase. Anyone care to share.........We have to see what the economy does.

Prediction center says Stand By. Dont know anything solid just a lot of rumors, speculation, and timing involved and some of it may hinge on the Metro Tax increase.. BTW, I didnt hear what happened on the first test of that increase. Anyone care to share.........We have to see what the economy does.

It passed on first reading. But most all bills do. The second reading will be more indicative. Some changes have taken place since the first draft: the general services district increase will be less than the urban services district (makes sense). Another factor is that property assessments are scheduled for early next year, so it seems that if overall property values have declined since 2009, that this could eat away at any revenue gains. Also, the Tea Party et al are officially coming out against the increase. More worrisome for the Mayor's proposal is that a few council members who ordinarily might support the mayor are running for higher office seats as Democrats and they are opposing the property tax increase because they will get eaten alive by their Republican opponents if they support the tax increase. This will be a close vote in the end, but I think that it will pass.

It is becomingly painfully obvious that we are in another bubble, this time apartments. Banks tend to make the same mistakes over and over. I imagine this might continue another year or two(or longer), but this pace of construction cannot continue forever in this economy.

It is becomingly painfully obvious that we are in another bubble, this time apartments. Banks tend to make the same mistakes over and over. I imagine this might continue another year or two(or longer), but this pace of construction cannot continue forever in this economy.

I'm definitely about as far away from an expert as one could get, but it seems to me that if people are looking to downsize from a house to an apartment or condo as a result of the economy, then it seems that it definitely could continue. Am I off base here?

Anyway, here is another tidbit of news that may have slipped under peoples' collective radar today. I'm not sure if anyone here are fans of soccer like I am, but there was HUGE, HUGE news in the local Nashville soccer community announced today. The Harpeth Youth Soccer Association is on the verge of signing a development deal with none other than my favorite club on earth, English Premier League giants and current UEFA Champions League Cup holders, Chelsea FC. WOW.

http://nashvillecity...sh-club-chelsea

Edited by BnaBreaker

Middle Tennessee is at about 95% occupancy for the quarter. It seems like more people are opting to rent these days. Nashville's core neighborhoods have also seemed under-built for years to me.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/04/23/nashville-apartment-occupancy-climbs.html

Edited by ariesjow

For those of you interested and those who qualify, here is a survey I saw on FB from the Downtown Nashville FB page, http://www.facebook....wntownNashville.

Thank you for choosing to live in beautiful downtown Nashville! Also, thank you for taking the time to complete this survey. The survey results help us plan downtown initiatives each year. Once you complete this survey, you will be able to complete another short form to enter a drawing. Five winners will receive a $50 gift certificate to the downtown restaurant of their choice. Your contact information will NOT be tied to your survey answers.

This survey contains around 50 questions, but only takes seven minutes to complete.

http://www.surveymon...sidentialsurvey

Rental buildings are a lot easier to finance because they have constant cash flow. No-one has to get a mortgage, and developers do not have to pre-sell units to get financing. These apartments they are building will lease out very fast, especially with the under 30 demographic. Vanderbilt, Belmont, and Lipscomb students are not going back home after graduation. They are staying. The demand for rental units across the country in the urban core has skyrocketed to use an outdated term, and will continue to do so. I bet Tony starts The Sobro this fall instead of the end of the year. The demand is there.

My take is that since Marriott bought the name of Gaylord is that the Gaylord name will stay and not change to Marriott. That would be a big waste of 200 million dollars or whatever they paid for the naming rights.

Just food for thought. That’s why you have a Fairfield right next to a Courtyard and so on. Different property for different needs.

not much research has been done on my part yet, but no jobs will be lost in Nashville because of this, right?

Correct, unless it's within the naming rights division of GET. This did, however, put on hold their Denver location (the $800m+ resort), for understandable reasons. So I guess those are future jobs lost? Something like that, I dunno.

I'm sure more will be announced as the REIT is setup