Center City Development Maps

kermit

I think I have the boundaries improved, but I am still pretty fuzzy on the Morehead project.

The project doesn't quite reach Kenilworth Avenue. It covers the first three parcels just east of the intersection. Here is a locator map from the rezoning case (2011-068):

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2011/060-070/2011-068%20rezoning%20map.pdf

I didn't know southline was soooo huge! thats great! I just wish something would happen with the land on the opposite side of the tracks. What WAS supposed to go there? I cannot remember. I bet you didn't know what a pain in the ass your map was going to become once we all got a hold of it ;0)

Has anyone seen a rendering of the Southline apartments? I checked the JBL web site and didn't see anything there. One would think there is something out there if they've already started the foundation work. It's interesting how this project seems so long as it stretches all the way to the Spectrum apartment building.

I found this in deep in some presentation. I'm hoping its not a real rendering for Southline. But it would be consistent with the size of parcel and the number of units for it to be 3-4 floors stick built.

Screenshot2012-02-13at24018PM.jpg

This is not really consistent with JBL's work though, so I am skeptical.

Edited by Guest

Ew... not a fan of the layout of streets... What is this the suburbs?

And by the dead-end streets, I assume no crossing of the LYNX line is set up to connect to the Iverson Way traffic light at Lowe's on South Boulevard.

Ew is right, since it looks like suburban development (low-rise, garden-style, surface-parked apartments) on suburban streets (gated, private cul-de-sacs).

Edited by southslider

And by the dead-end streets, I assume no crossing of the LYNX line is set up to connect to the Iverson Way traffic light at Lowe's on South Boulevard.

Ew is right, since it looks like suburban development (low-rise, garden-style, surface-parked apartments) on suburban streets (gated, private cul-de-sacs).

Well based on the width of the site, I think that the road will be 100% self contained amongst 3-4 story townhomes, so hopefully it will at least not LOOK suburban.

Great map. Thanks for putting that together. A few additions/tweaks - Mercury NoDa is by Tyler Foster and 250 units w/ structured parking. The project off of W Morehead is by Lomax and is 270 units w/ structured parking. The E Morehead deal just off of Kenilworth is by The McAlpine Group and is actually 220 units, not 300 (although rezoning request was for up to 300). One other project to add is 137 S Kings. FMW has built a portion of the retail already (Chipotle, Vitamin World, Mattress...) and the rest of the block excluding the office building is slated for 250 units. Chris Branch was working with FMW on the deal until he joined Fasion. It's highly likely that Faison will buy the site and develop the project themselves. It would include some additional retail as well.

Southline is indeed 100% self contained and does not provide any opportunity to connect to Iverson in the future. 280 garden units with surface parking. Although the light rail was supposed to spur dense development (as has), it's good for the area to provide lower cost alternatives to residents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few changes to report:

1) It appears that site work has finally begun at the Colonial Site on South at Poindexter. The site has been graded and stakes have been set in the past several days. [notation added to map]

2) The CBJ is reporting that neighbors have filed protest petitions against required rezonings at the Morehead project (near Kenilworth) and at Mercury NoDa. This means that 3/4 of City Council members will need to vote to support rezoning for the projects. [notation added to map] The vote will occur "next month" The Mercury NoDa developer has proposed:

Foster also will convert 11,000 square feet of speculative retail space into 8,000 square feet of “live-work” units along 36th street. And he will preserve the commercial buildings on the site, including the Neighborhood Theatre, and work to register them as historic properties. The project will include a minimum budget of $35,000 for public art.
[the article did not make clear if this change was in response to the protest]

http://www.bizjourna...a=e_ph&page=all

3) There _may_ be a new project in the works in Dilworth. Demolition is underway on the four remaining single family houses on the west side of Euclid between Tremont and McDonald. These houses have been used for offices for the past decade. This is the last remaining gap between the new multi-family condo structures on the block so the new landuse seems obvious, but I have not heard any project announcements yet. Based on existing densities I would guess this would be around 10-20 units.

http://maps.google.c...12,1.99,,0,6.41

[notation not added to map]

Edited by kermit

One project that can be added to this map which has flown under the radar is the new Fire Department HQ at Statesville/Graham/Dalton. They tore that 1940s warehouse down which looked like a run of the mill for it.

I still don't know how it is possible that they could need all that space, especially given the tiny building they are at right now on 9th near UNCC. I hope they're going to include a training tower which will have a sweet view.

Today's CBJ also had an article discussing a 270 unit project on West Morehead by Lomax Properties out of Greensboro. Beyond mention of the six acre property being under contract with SCBT and closing being dependent on rezoning there was not enough location info for me to add it to the map -- anyone know anything?

EDIT: the CBJ article can be found here: http://www.bizjourna...w-morehead.html

Never mind, its already in the map. oops

Edited by kermit

Good news about the retail. I'm curious though, I thought the apartments that were talked about for the NCMF were to be where some of the parking lot is now? Or is that for another phase of the project. I know, god forbid if they ate up any paved parking lots :angry:

^ The precise location of the apartments is not clear to me. I made a guess based on the location information from the CBJ article which was:

5 acres on NC Music Factory Boulevard, next to the Interstate 277 overpass.

Google maps suggests that this location is along the entrance road to the complex, thus far from the parking.

I may (as always) be mistaken....