Center City Development Maps

kermit

I think its good to develop that location first actually as it will help with the connectivity to the rest of uptown. I hope the land on the other side of the street, between NC Music Factory Blvd (when did this stop being Seaboard?) and Graham is next, possibly for the hotel. The surface parking is (for now) needed for concerts until some decks are eventually built as they really fill up.

Some pedestrian improvements and barriers are going to need to be built under the 277 overpass there. For one thing it and the nearby woods are heavily-used homeless hangouts right now. There was actually a pipe dream over on the Tarheel Trailblazers forums for a while to build an urban mountain bike freeride park under the overpass, similar to the I-5 trails in Seattle. The future rail work in the area killed that dream even though there was legitimate interest from the city.

I agree that this is a great location for the first phase of building residential around NCMF, especially since there is the disconnect between the core of uptown and this area. It will go a long way to adding pedestrian activity. I just thought I recalled seeing signs advertising the apartments and retail in the NCMF parking lot last year. Obviously they would need to build decks there when residential components are added there.

I walked to NCMF this past week and said that I wish they'd develop that parcel to make it feel less disconnected and tada! That is a 5 acre parcel and matches what they say about the 277 overpass. It will have a great skyline view, minus that ugly side of Garrison.

• 2 weeks later...

Projects added to map:

• Queens U new classroom building (since there is a crane I thought it might be important enough)
  • Duke Endowment HQ on Morehead
  • Passenger rail maintenance facility at Summit (not much activity generated here but it will be a major feature on the landscape in Wilmore)
  • CHA multi-family project at 12th and Caldwell per http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/10833-optimist-park-belmont-revitalization-projects/page__view__findpost__p__1163955 (thanks Ricky_Davis_Fan)

And then some projects which don't feel definite enough yet, but I included them anyway:

• First Ward Park around the mythical Levine project
    • Knights downtown ballpark (I wanted to see it in context to its surroundings)

Maybe we should add all the projects going on in South Park. Circle South Park, Woodfield South Park, Ashley Park, Indigo Hotel, Market at South Park, and Maersk redevelopment, all of these are pretty large scale and have pending or approved rezoning petitions.

^ boundary (and location!) changes made, thanks Southsider. Does Mosaic include the entire block? -- several houses remain in the google maps image on the west side of the block but the remainder had been cleared at the time of imagry. [fixed -- thanks Southsider]

RE Southpark: I have been debating that. Certainly lots going on down there, I am just reluctant to think of the area as part of Charlotte's core. But I recognize that this is more my bias than anything rational so I'll probably get the new Southpark stuff added tomorrow or Thursday.

Edited by kermit

^ boundary (and location!) changes made, thanks Southsider. Does Mosaic include the entire block? -- several houses remain in the google maps image on the west side of the block but the remainder had been cleared at the time of imagry.

RE Southpark: I have been debating that. Certainly lots going on down there, I am just reluctant to think of the area as part of Charlotte's core. But I recognize that this is more my bias than anything rational so I'll probably get the new Southpark stuff added tomorrow or Thursday.

Haha! I've been trying to weigh whether I should chime in or not for a couple months, then the hotel indigo and the Woodfield South Park put in their rezoning petitions and I thought it was time to speak up.

Does Mosaic include the entire block? -- several houses remain in the google maps image on the west side of the block but the remainder had been cleared at the time of imagry.

Mosaic does NOT include the houses on Duckworth. The development is a fat L-shape, running from South Bruns Avenue to just opposite Montgomery Street on the west side of West Trade Street.

Maybe we should add all the projects going on in South Park. Circle South Park, Woodfield South Park, Ashley Park, Indigo Hotel, Market at South Park, and Maersk redevelopment, all of these are pretty large scale and have pending or approved rezoning petitions.

OK, I swallowed my anti-mall bias and added the Southpark projects above that I could find information on. I was not able to find any information on Market at South Park (probably using the wrong search terms) and the only info I found on the Maersk site was that CBRE was marketing the property -- did it get sold? I am happy to add those, I just need some pointers to the info.

EDIT: Thanks for the help ricky_davis_fan. I have to admit I am impressed with the density at SP -- too bad its the second most unfriendly pedestrian space on earth.

Edited by kermit

Although Target would love to be in that submarket, I think it's highly unlikely they'll end up at The Market at SouthPark site. They're approving very few new stores these days and the ones they are doing are down the middle of the fairway - ie: no structured parking or multi-level non-prototypical stores. I'm pretty confident you'll see some restaurant and boutique space (min 45k sq.ft. required by current zoning/entitlements), a hotel and apartments at the end of the day.

The Maersk site is the 6000 Carnegie site. CB marketed the deal last summer (July-Aug) and it was tied up at around $2 million per acre (13+ acre site). Last I spoke to the broker, the deal was still tied up with the original buyer, but that was a few months ago. The site has some crazy entitlements - 591 resi units, 480,000 sf of office & 15,000 sf of retail.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll attempt to post the renderings for the two SouthPark projects (The Market at SP aka SouthPark Town Center and the Maersk site) but they don't really depict what will eventually go on the sites. They were put together by the sellers for marketing purposes to show what could potentially be developed.

Not that I know of any projects missing, but this map highlights the dearth of projects going in in Plaza-Midwood. I know there is the new Harris Teeter but is there really nothing else planned?

Just heard 24 apartments in a new 4-story building between DQ and Lunchbox Records, where the former car wash was years ago.

Okay...can someone help me out with posting images that are not from a website?

FYI, we have a topic that explains this here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/7779-image-posting/

You can also choose to host images on our servers by attaching a file to your post (you must click the More Reply Options button to get that).

That's awesome, we need more small-scale residential versus giant luxury complexes. However I just hope the design of this one is more thoughtful than 27 Central.

This site would need to be rezoned, correct? Currently B-2. Hopefully, we will see something on the City's website soon.