Center City Development Maps

kermit

There was an interesting article in this weeks CBJ discussing rezoing / NIMBY problems facing many of the new suburban apartment projects. The article suggested to me that new multi-family projects are going to face more obstacles outside of TOD areas and development near the city center will easier to get off the ground. (although some Noda projects are running into similar rezoning difficulties). Ultimately I suspect this will accelerate intown densification.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2012/04/06/battling-the-boom.html?s=print

• 3 weeks later...

I needed to procrastinate at the office today so. I added the BLE, stations and park and ride lot outlines to the map. While this predates the FFGA I hope that this does nothing to jinx that.

The locations and routing are taken from the Alignment Maps provided by CATS here:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/Pages/BLEAlignmentMaps.aspx

CATS provides the following disclaimer on the maps:

These are conceptual plans and are subject to change.

My first reactions to seeing it all in context:

1) surprised by the large stop spacing between 9th and Parkwood (I expected a station around Alpha Mill and 25th pushed closer to Matheson)

2) Station at 25th is pretty isolated currently -- lots of redevelopment will be necessary in this area

3) The UNCC Station is located on the outer edge of campus, it will be at least a 1/2 mile walk for most folks on campus to the station

Despite the minor concerns it is fun to see it in context.

1) surprised by the large stop spacing between 9th and Parkwood (I expected a station around Alpha Mill and 25th pushed closer to Matheson)

Unfortunately, due to the physical constraints of going under I-277 and over CSX, it's very impractical to locate a station between 10th and 16th Streets for Alpha Mill.

In development news, the corner of Pecan and Commonwealth is seeking a building permit. Add the site on Central beside DQ (also in permitting) and the Plaza-Midwood area is quickly joining the urban apartment boom.

I don't really have a problem with apartments there even though I wouldn't want to be overlooking gas stations and fast food places personally.

The old 1-story buildings on the other side of Drexel from there have been demo'd in the last few weeks as well. I thought that was the site in question until I looked at the pdf.

I actually think the Park/Woodlawn/Montford area stands a pretty decent chance of developing a pretty high-density vibe. There are certainly challenges, but there are already a number of large apartment buildings within walking distance, and pretty solid infrastructure connections.

I actually think the Park/Woodlawn/Montford area stands a pretty decent chance of developing a pretty high-density vibe. There are certainly challenges, but there are already a number of large apartment buildings within walking distance, and pretty solid infrastructure connections.

I could see that but I think most of it in the near term would have to occur south of Woodlawn around Montford and the areas across the street by Brawley's etc. I just don't imagine anything significant happening to the actual shopping center any time soon, although I'd love to see the mcdonalds/gas station, wendy's and abc store redeveloped into something built out to the corner (but not losing the abc store!). Does that intersection really NEED gas stations on 3 out of 4 corners?

I often think the same about Montford. It is ashame the Ghazi Strip doesn't have some driveway connections to Montford to help make it more grid-like and help it get denser.

As for the gas stations, the need is there because Southpark is probably under-served by gas stations.

There's a sign with rendering up at the site. Not apartments, but an office building. It says it's going to be the Bank of The Ozarks.

No thats the adjacent site, I've seen the Bank of the Ozarks rezoning. I will try to dig up on my lunch break.

• 3 weeks later...

I know you were hesitant to add the Gateway Station site because it wasn't funded, but heres another large transit project that involves the lot next to Gateway Station between 3rd and 4th street. This will be a large parking deck and the new greyhound bus terminal. The structure will have to be built before Gateway Station, since the current Greyhound station is on the Gateway Station site. I believe the little flyover from 3rd to 4th will be removed and 3rd street will be extended under the train tracks.