Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

I have been spending some time in Denver lately for work and was looking for a brewery to check out tonight. In my search I came across Denver's brewery map.

I am looking forward to the day that ours looks like this. I hope this helps to dispell any of the oversaturation concerns for our brewery scene. 

http://denverbreweryguide.com/brewery-map.aspx

Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 3.21.39 PM.png

I stopped in Salud last night and asked about their brewing operation (they had announced a 1bbl system for supplying in-house taps with guest brewers' brews).  They told me they probably weren't going to do it after all -- not enough space.  They considered brewing at a different site and bringing it in-house, but that's against NC rules.  So anyway, I'm taking Salud off my "coming soon" list and map.  (I also removed Thirsty Nomad from my list, as he appears to be targeting Concord, and that's out of my CharMeck domain.)

So that leaves us with:

2015: NoDa 2nd Location (N Tryon), Three Spirits (South of South End), and Legion (Plaza Mid)

2016: Blue Blaze (West End)

No location or timetable: Avenge and DukBone.

Map (and link to list): https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

In other news, I stumbled across this article about an ABC/ALE crackdown at an Asheville beer festival.  Seems they sent in agents, waited 2 hours, then started shutting brewers down and otherwise citing them for servers drinking and whatnot.  http://ashvegas.com/n-c-ale-officials-put-asheville-area-craft-breweries-on-notice-with-stepped-up-enforcement-actions

Has anybody here heard of "Not Your Father's Rootbeer"? Anybody know where I can get a pack in the Charlotte area? Been meaning to try it for awhile now.

ha! Just got it yesterday from Earls. I believe the goat (at gateway) has it too oddly enough. It's pretty darn good. Tastes just like root beer but you can only drink 2 of them. Imagine drinking 6 IBC root beers. 

Is that the alcoholic root beer? If so, I recently had some while visiting family in Akron, Ohio. It was on tap at a really cool bottle shop called Portage Lakes Brewing Company. I'm not sure about down here besides what Jayvee said. If not, I might be thinking of something completely different. 

Drinking Beer in Charlotte: VBGB "expanding" to a sister location next door: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/08/12/exclusive-vbgb-owners-announce-plans-for-sister.html

Drinking Beer in Durham: I hit Fullsteam and Bull City Brewery and Bull City Cidery over the weekend (had never been to Durham before).  Fullsteam's beers are excellent.  Fullsteam's pricing is crazy -- 2.50 for a half pint (great option), 5.00 for a pint (okay), but 12.00 (!) for a 5-5oz flight. What?!

p.s. The lack of Raleigh/Durham beer at local restaurants in downtown Durham was really disappointing.  Great job Charlotte restaurants in supporting #CLTBEER!  I wonder if area breweries don't have sales and distribution staffs like OMB, NoDa, Birdsong, Triple C, etc.?  And if that matters.

p.p.s. Way off topic, we really liked Durham downtown -- the "re-development" or whatever they have going on (actual old buildings being used instead of torn down), the Saturday Farmer's Market (with ONLY local vendors growing their own food) with 8ish food trucks serving breakfast(!), the good restaurants, the Tobacco development thingy across from the stadium, the cheap(!) prices for baseball, and the cheap Uber fare when the walk to/from the Cidery was a little scarier than we anticipated - ha ha.

/Durham beer at local restaurants in downtown Durham was really disappointing.  Great job Charlotte restaurants in supporting #CLTBEER! 

I never really appreciate this until I'm traveling in other cities. Charlotte really does support the local breweries in a way that very few other cities do. 

• Like 2

^I believe the Durham Bulls have a small brewery at their stadium, correct?

Not sure -- they weren't in town, unfortunately.

Speaking of new breweries -- did you all see the odd post on Facebook from the owner of Jackalope Jack's and Peculiar Rabbit, etc.?  See below.  Seems like a drunken rambling.  When called out on his "can't continue to support them" comment, he backtracked and said of course he'll still carry their beers.  Strange.  Anyway, there seems to be some question (based on the comments) whether he could even get such a thing approved by ABC, but this offer could still intrigue some brewer out there (you pay for the build-out and all your equipment, and you get to brew beer for my 4 restaurants).

Screenshot_2015-08-10-09-32-39_zps4qxtuj

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

Not sure -- they weren't in town, unfortunately.

Speaking of new breweries -- did you all see the odd post on Facebook from the owner of Jackalope Jack's and Peculiar Rabbit, etc.?  See below.  Seems like a drunken rambling.  When called out on his "can't continue to support them" comment, he backtracked and said of course he'll still carry their beers.  Strange.  Anyway, there seems to be some question (based on the comments) whether he could even get such a thing approved by ABC, but this offer could still intrigue some brewer out there (you pay for the build-out and all your equipment, and you get to brew beer for my 4 restaurants).

Screenshot_2015-08-10-09-32-39_zps4qxtuj

Holy crap! Thats amazing!