Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

I just read in the CBJ that Dukbone is still trying to find a location.  Anyone else remember years ago when they made a bunch of noise about being "The Primitive Brewery" with the tagline "Don't Bone Alone. Drink with Friends"?  I'm amazed they are still around. If they ever actually open, I think they may take the record away from Free Range for the longest time-to-open in Charlotte.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/09/04/dukbone-brewing-searches-for-charlotte-home-hires.html

Those DukBone guys are hilarious.  I wonder if this head brewer is the same new Head Brewer as 2 years ago?  Yeah, probably not.  Here's a cached blog post from July 2013 saying it had been 6 months since they incorporated --- so they're at a good 2.5 years right now.  http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:7Yx4mAT-KM4J:www.dukbone.com/%23!-Where-Has-6-Months-Gone-by-David-Wallace/ci7u/3+&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

"

We have a logo. Well, wait just a second, we have decided to change our logo. Why? We want something that is fun, but we want something that represents the quality of beer we make, and we think we can do better on that end. We will be adding the new logo tonight, but most importantly, we have found an extremely talented Head Brewer! We are not yet able to tell you this person's name out of respect for their current position, but we promise we are dying to share. We feel confident that this person has the experience and talent to provide Charlotte excellent beer day in and day out.

Currently, we are looking for a place to call home. From Day 1, we have been in love with Plaza Midwood, and we all know that love always met with certain challenges. Without getting too technical here, we haven't found a building in the area that meets zoning requirements, structural requirements, and our outdoor setting requirements. While our goal is to be in Plaza Midwood, we have decided to expand our search. Our ultimate goal is to go into an area of Charlotte where we can further promote craft beer to people that may not have been, "adequately exposed." We also hope that our that our choice will ultimately benefit Charlotte from a re-development standpoint, as we believe a strong brewery can be the turning point in many neighborhoods around Charlotte. We will expand our search by looking in areas that would benefit from our presence. Have any recommendations? If so, please feel free to comment below or drop us a line, because we'd love to hear them.
"

p.s. Drinking Beer in Shelby --- We went to Newgrass Brewing in Shelby over the weekend after some hiking at Crowders.  I was proud to recognize the bar lady as having worked at NoDa in the past.  Average beer --- maybe slightly above average if you're in a good mood.  The food was pretty good unless you're a foodie.  The place was really nice.  The service was horrible (many people in line for beer and to order food but only 1 of 3 POS open, while other employees milled about, waitress that didn't know what the food was, waitress really troubled by our request for plates to use for our shared appetizers, waitress bringing out only half our order so we have to go search for the other half, really long wait for food, etc.).

Thank goodness Dukbone is hard at work trying to bring craft beer to all those who have yet to be "adequately exposed".

Dukbone's Blog: Our ultimate goal is to go into an area of Charlotte where we can further promote craft beer to people that may not have been, "adequately exposed."

CBJ: A key outstanding piece is securing a home for the brewery and taproom. DukBone’s search is currently focused on South End, NoDa and the N.C. Music Factory.

Three Spirits is planning a mid-October opening near the Woodlawn station. 

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/September-2015/Three-Spirits-Brewery-Opening-by-Mid-October/#.Ve8FxE9WlRU.facebook

As a side bonus, I can lure my wife there by saying we need to go to Roundtree Nursery (which is great if you have never been) and just happen to drive by the new brewery on the way home!

kermit have you had Gordgeous?  It's one of the very few pumpkin beers I drink.  It's excellent.  They don't use the traditional spice profile.

Excellent news on Three Spirits.  Pretty standard brewery timeline:

August 2014 -- opening March 2015

July 2015 -- opening late September 2015

September 2015 -- opening mid-October 2015

I think it's still a race with Legion.

Legion now saying "early November".  I think they're still in the race with Three Spirits.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/September-2015/Legion-Brewing-Adding-Finishing-Touches/

These guys might need more staff just to count their money once they open.

"

French doors with handles made of railroad spikes were placed in the spot with the best view of the Charlotte skyline, and open to a deck along the sidewalk.  Patrons can buy a beer at the bar and bring it over to the new mezzanine to watch as Legion’s beer is made. The mezzanine overlooks the production room with a drink rail along its edge.  Buchy and Craver also plan to have a beer stand downstairs along the production area. A garage door can be opened into the parking lot, where a live music stage will be set up. 

"

Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Went to the soft opening for QCBC last night.  The place looks great and the chili was solid.  It officially opens this weekend.  Only one small tv in the corner, that wasn't even on.  Looks like it'll be a lot more of a quiet, chill type atmosphere which I really liked.  We need more of it.

• Like 1

Went to the soft opening for QCBC last night.  The place looks great and the chili was solid.  It officially opens this weekend.  Only one small tv in the corner, that wasn't even on.  Looks like it'll be a lot more of a quiet, chill type atmosphere which I really liked.  We need more of it.

Perfect timing and glad to hear it's a chill type place. This place should kill it. Are they open for the Panthers home opener this Sunday? 

HA! I was in there too. I have to agree the the hog dog was underwhelming, but not bad by any means. The dog tasted and looked like it was boiled rather than grilled or anything. Chili was decent. If I want a hot dog, I will stick with Matt's Chicago Dog or the Chili Man. 

However, as far as drinking beer, they have a GREAT selection and prices are solid. The drinking side of the place is tiny, but I feel like it will do well with those looking to run in for a quick beer or sit outside. Still a good overall addition to Brevard Court.

Blue Blaze has started a Kickstarter campaign. Apparently they didn't have a plan to add "modern lighting" and "outdoor space" so now they are asking you to pay for it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blueblazebrewing/blue-blaze-brewing-co-craft-your-pathtm

I haven't seen a brewery go this route for a kickstarter before. 99% of the time it is for actual brewing equipment, canning lines, etc. Not decking out their tap room. Make good beer and you will have enough money to upfit your taproom later.

GoodRoad Ciderworks has plans on Accela to locate at 117 Southside Dr. near OMB. Here is an article about them and Red Clay from last year: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/small-business/article9126410.html

It doesn't look like their website it built yet, but they have a Facebook page and Twitter account.

http://goodroadciderworks.com/ 

https://www.facebook.com/GoodRoadCiderWorks

Blue Blaze has started a Kickstarter campaign. Apparently they didn't have a plan to add "modern lighting" and "outdoor space" so now they are asking you to pay for it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blueblazebrewing/blue-blaze-brewing-co-craft-your-pathtm

I haven't seen a brewery go this route for a kickstarter before. 99% of the time it is for actual brewing equipment, canning lines, etc. Not decking out their tap room. Make good beer and you will have enough money to upfit your taproom later.

I'm so glad they are bringing the pub concept to the united states.  A place where you can take your family!  No one in Charlotte has ever... Oh, wait... Every. Other. Brewery.  

Maybe I'm wrong, but if you have signed your lease and cannot find $25k for lights and a patio, you may have bigger problems up ahead.  I did notice that 'Ghost Blaze' and 'White Blaze' are no longer listed as beers.  Perhaps these clowns should have never spent the money on attorneys trying to trademark other local beer names before opening a brewery of their own.  My two cents.

Ha-ha man, we are brutally hard on the Blue Blaze guys.  I think this can be a really positive addition to the west side of the city, an area that hardly gets any love.  It's not like they're the first company to have a Kickstarter campaign.  I say more power to them if they can do it.  I'll go drink a beer there after they open.

• Like 3

Ha-ha man, we are brutally hard on the Blue Blaze guys.  I think this can be a really positive addition to the west side of the city, an area that hardly gets any love.  It's not like they're the first company to have a Kickstarter campaign.  I say more power to them if they can do it.  I'll go drink a beer there after they open.

I wouldn't be hard on them for the kickstarter if they were investing in the beer, not for sprucing up the taproom. People only care about the taproom if the beer average at best. If the beer is great, no one cares about the other stuff.  Take Noda for example: Their existing tap room is still out of date. POS system that is terrible. No outside to speak of. No entertainment system besides a floor. No cozy couches.  And by damned, if I can ever get a stool in there on a Wed-Sun, I consider it a small miracle.  And really, what startup "needs" 20 taps instead of 10? 

"Exposed Brick and Shiny Tables" growler store and bottle shop opening today in Pineville.  It's like a brewery without the brewery!  http://www.charlottefive.com/pintville-a-craft-beer-shop-in-pineville-opens-wednesday/  

Could be a good place to grab a drink/growler on my way home -- which is nice.

My wife and I used to live in Pineville, and we both consider it the worst time of our single/married adult life. It wasn't because of the stupid sprawl-style traffic, though that stunk a lot, it was the fact that we had to drive 30 minutes to get a good craft beer with a decent atmosphere. Downtown Pineville is the MOST under utilized old downtown in the region, and has the worst traffic and ped safety since it's a state maintained road, (hopefully a road diet will help make it more ped friendly) so it is SO nice to see this. Hopefully it will start a trend. If only the Blue Line hadn't been rejected by the fearful Pinevillians.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Drinking in Lancaster: Southern Tater from Benford Brewing is really pretty good.  Tons of sweet potatoes, and a little honey.  I don't think he used anything else in it.  Unique earthy taste.  Great alternative to all the pumpkin crap.  Ballantyne HT has it.  Not sure if he gets it distributed further north than that.

I forgot to report this:  Barking Duck (Matthews), who just celebrated their 1-year anniversary, has been closed the last week-ish because they are "working on their new space", with an announcement "coming soon".

In other news, NoDa's new location opens tomorrow.

With moves by OMB, D9, and Birdsong, and a 2nd location for NoDa, that means Barking Duck will be 5th re-location/expansion in Charmeck (if I'm counting correctly).

Here's a good piece in Charlotte Magazine on the new NoDa location.. They will have Monstro, Rob’s Salted Caramel Stout, Drop Dead Gordgeous among other beers on tap for Thursday. I plan on stopping by there this weekend.. What's even more exiciting is that NoDaRyzed, Woody & Wilcox and Ramble on Red will all be in cans soon. Additionally, they'll do a beer of the month in cans as well. 

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/September-2015/NoDa-Brewing-set-to-open-its-new-brewery-and-taproom/

Edited by HopHead