Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

OMB is having a Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Market) https://www.facebook.com/events/461814230610397/

"This 6th Annual Weihnachtsmarkt will have open air booths selling gifts and baked goods from 30 local, Charlotte vendors. This is our version of a traditional, German-inspired “Christmas Market” with all of our Winter seasonal beers on tap — Dunkel, Bauern Bock, and Yule Bock — along with our homemade Glühwein: a delicious, spiced red wine served hot and fresh "

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crown said:

OMB is having a Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Market) https://www.facebook.com/events/461814230610397/

"This 6th Annual Weihnachtsmarkt will have open air booths selling gifts and baked goods from 30 local, Charlotte vendors. This is our version of a traditional, German-inspired “Christmas Market” with all of our Winter seasonal beers on tap — Dunkel, Bauern Bock, and Yule Bock — along with our homemade Glühwein: a delicious, spiced red wine served hot and fresh "

When it isn't absurdly crowded, it's the coolest thing of the year!

A few more events....

Sugar Creek Brewing Company’s One Year Anniversary: Live music, food trucks, photo booth, raffle, and a special release of their anniversary brew

11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, 11/21

sugar-creek-anniversary.jpg

Oyster and Beer Festival at Sycamore Brewing: Oysters, snow crab, shrimp, beer, wine and cider from noon to 4 p.m. $6 entry includes one free beer – RSVP here.

Saturday, 11/21

oyster-and-beer-festival-sycamore.jpg

Small Business Saturday in South End

Date: Saturday, November 28
Time: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Location: Triple C Brewing, Atherton Mill and Unknown Brewing
Details: Each of the three venues will be packed with small business owners selling handcrafted products. Two trolleys will offer free rides between venues every 15 minutes. Food trucks will be on site at all three venues and Chef Alyssa will do a cooking demo in her kitchen at Atherton Mill.

small-biz-saturday-e1447861501656.jpg

Drove by Three Spirits (Old Pineville rd) yesterday and they look to have made good progress. They put a faux Irish pub facade on the front of part of the ugly industrial building so it looks more inviting (but a little silly). Sorry I don't have a photo. The door was open and lights were on, but I did not get a good look at the interior.

Now, idk, maybe this would be a bad idea before the BLE opens (or Sugar Creek, etc), but I'm surprised nobody has used one of these warehouses up N Davidson St yet for a brewery. I'm just twiddling my thumbs to see what kind of development happens up there past Craighead, and how soon (considering how much land there is between Uptown and Matheson.)

On November 20, 2015 at 10:44:40 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

Now, idk, maybe this would be a bad idea before the BLE opens (or Sugar Creek, etc), but I'm surprised nobody has used one of these warehouses up N Davidson St yet for a brewery. I'm just twiddling my thumbs to see what kind of development happens up there past Craighead, and how soon (considering how much land there is between Uptown and Matheson.)

I've always wanted to start my own brewery, but I'm busy working and getting drunk on Hop, Drop 'n Roll, Golden Boy and Lazy Bird Brown. Not at the same time now, as I slur together "Chicken or Pasta?"  ;)

Three Spirits opened on Saturday

My map of Mecklenburg breweries: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Next up: Legion in Plaza Mid.  Last we heard from them they were saying "Early November".

Also, Barking Duck in Mint Hill is moving to a larger space "very soon", but they haven't divulged the new location or timing yet, although I think this Wed is their final day in their current location.

17 minutes ago, grodney said:

Sitting here at Triple C on a Tuesday evening, I can safely say that if I lived in south end, I would be an alcoholic. Or fat. Or both.

My quarterly trips to Charlotte still manage to contribute to my waistline. I spend so much time and energy procuring charlotte beers when I'm in town.

I am eating lunch in Columbia at a random burger joint in the Vista and discovered that they have Copper on tap. This is the furthest afield I have seen it. Hats off to the OMB distribution crew.

I just finished a work trip to Atlanta, Pensacola and Savannah. I consistently found that the local beer sucked in comparison to the Charlotte regulars. Its impossible to be objective but I have done a lot of craft beer exploring. The only places I have found with multiple great local breweries are in the Midwest (Michigan, Indiana and Illinois, maybe Minnesota) the Pacific coast and maybe DC to Philadelphia) Outside of these places (and NC) everything feels like a wasteland.  I am sure I am oversimplifying, but that has been my observation.

On a differnt note, Crystal Beer Parlor in Savannah is a world class spot for beers and a low key dinner. Dont forget to get a beer to go for your walk home, Savannah is a very civilized ciy. I truely believe that the only thing holding Charlotte back from global-city status is our sinister open container laws.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

I finally made it to Wooden Robot last night. I didn't stay long, but I was impressed with the space (although it almost veered into the too fancy end of the spectrum) and the beer. I only had one (the pale ale), but it was very good. I am eager to go back and explore the taps.

6 minutes ago, kermit said:

I finally made it to Wooden Robot last night. I didn't stay long, but I was impressed with the space (although it almost veered into the too fancy end of the spectrum) and the beer. I only had one (the pale ale), but it was very good. I am eager to go back and explore the taps.

Damn! I was there as well! Should have kept my eye out better it would seem. I made sure to try everything and loved most.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, kermit said:

That's why I like Wooden Robot so much. It's one of my favorite breweries in CLT. Overachiever is a good beer, but my favorite is definitely the IPA- which atm is What He's Having 3.0. I'm an IPA or Stout guy. 

EDIT- The IPA is now 4.0 instead of 3.0, I haven't been to Wooden Robot in a while

Edited by Piedmont767

9 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

That's why I like Wooden Robot so much. It's one of my favorite breweries in CLT. Overachiever is a good beer, but my favorite is definitely the IPA- which atm is What He's Having 3.0. I'm an IPA or Stout guy. 

It was v4.0 last night, and I loved it.

On 5/11/2015, 9:02:37, hambone931 said:

Did anyone know about Riverman Brewing in Belmont? I just saw a groupon for a tasting and brewery tour. 

http://www.rivermenbrewingcompany.com/home.html

Quoting a post from May above.  We went to Rivermen on Saturday.  They are in an old mill/warehouse/industrial area next to the river, and essentially adjacent to Muddy River Distillery and Alternative Beverage homebrew supply.  5 beers on tap, flights available but no flight paddle.  The beers were average with nothing particularly good (or bad really) about any of them.  The black IPA was pretty good I guess, but the keg was messed up and blowing about 3/4 foam.  The place itself is a tiny little "taproom", maybe a 8'x12' corner of their brewing area, with about a half-dozen bar stools.  They do have a couple picnic tables on a loading dock a couple-hundred feet from the "taproom", which served us well on the 70-degree late November day.  Having said all that, I've heard from 2 different sources that they are moving to downtown Belmont and will have a 3-story setup with a full restaurant/brewpub.

20151128_161029_zpsjxjgxtuf.jpg

20151128_154910_zpsgbaso24x.jpg

Obligatory drinking beer in Charlotte:  Below is a pic from a tank at TWC Arena next to the craft beer garden.  Pretty cool.  Beer garden is all $10/draft plus tax and tip (somewhere between 16 and 20oz), one size only, Triple C, Sugar Creek, NoDa, and Foothills(?).  Cans of Hop Drop and Jam Session ($10 plus tax) available at both Queen City Q locations, although they pour it into a plastic cup.  Domestic draft at concession stands are $7 "regular" and $9 "large".  By the way, I noticed during the game yesterday somebody tweeted about the "crappy beer selection" due to the lack of OMB Copper.  OMB re-tweeted it, thus hinting some discord between OMB and TWC Arena and/or the Hornets.

20151129_132802_zpsdpqck1o3.jpg

Edited by grodney

10 minutes ago, NeverSummer said:

I got into a mild debate last night with a friend regarding which breweries are actually in South End.  I think that the little OMB pocket that has developed is actually further South of South End and he disagreed.  Does anyone know the correct answer?  Thanks, guys.

I'm not sure what difference it makes, but I'm sure there are lots of people on this board that can tell you the "official" definition of South End.  I'm not one of them, but I can link to this map by the Chamber that says the south end of South End is Remount: http://charlottechamber.com/clientuploads/Economic_pdfs/Maps/SouthEnd.jpg

But this one from CCC.org and linked on historicsouthend goes down past New Bern: http://files.charlottecentercity.org/HistoricSouthEnd-Map.pdf

Edited by grodney

^ if you are looking for an official, sanctified, definition of neighborhoods I can say with some authority that such a thing does not exist. Neighborhood boundaries are constantly changing and evolving depending on who is defining neighborhoods (and for what purpose -- Southend did not exist as a defined neighborhood 20 years ago), real estate prices (realtors love to stretch boundaries and sometimes that sticks -- Dilworth has doubled in size over the past 20 years) and where neighborhood associations think they can get more members.

TLDR: if you want to call the OMB area Southend, Go for it.

Edited by kermit