IKEA will start selling prefabricated homes

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like $86k is a bit high for an IKEA mobile home sized house. Nothing against IKEA as half of our house is furnished with their goods (even our floors).

I think it would be worth it if it were at least three times the size. Its a bit small and as with many prefabricated homes I question construction quality. It is kind of cool that IKEA is doing something new and revolutionary though. I would not pay $86k for this but i'm sure many people will.

Sears used to sell kit houses.

How long did they sell them? It apparently didn't catch on as it is a pretty small market these days...very niche. Perhaps with IKEA's sheer size and prowess they can pull something off that Sears couldn't...but I presume that when Sears sold kit houses they were much like the modern day IKEA in terms of size?

How long did they sell them? It apparently didn't catch on as it is a pretty small market these days...very niche. Perhaps with IKEA's sheer size and prowess they can pull something off that Sears couldn't...but I presume that when Sears sold kit houses they were much like the modern day IKEA in terms of size?

Sears was actually quite successful in selling their kit houses and did so for many years. From the Sears website:

"From 1908–1940, Sears, Roebuck and Co. sold about 70,000 - 75,000 homes through their mail-order Modern Homes program. Over that time Sears designed 447 different housing styles, from the elaborate multistory Ivanhoe, with its elegant French doors and art glass windows, to the simpler Goldenrod, which served as a quaint, three-room and no-bath cottage for summer vacationers. (An outhouse could be purchased separately for Goldenrod and similar cottage dwellers.) Customers could choose a house to suit their individual tastes and budgets. "

Considering the entire US housing industry stopped producing houses in 1940 because of America's entry into WW2, I'd say Sears was quite successful in the kit home business.

According to this list, which I cannot vouch for, Sears is the 10th largest retailer in the world and bigger than IKEA.

IKEA started selling kit houses in 1996 and still sells them today. Personally, I have never set foot in an IKEA store and while I presume there to be one in Greensboro, I've no idea where it is.

There is no IKEA in Greensboro. The closest one is in Charlotte with the next closest locations being in Atlanta and Washington DC.

I would be more inclined to buy one of the katrina cottage designs that were supposedly going to be mass marketed by Lowes. They are cute, bungalow style homes that are designed to be expandable if your family grows or if you just need a man cave I guess.

BTW...It's worth the 90 minute drive from Greensboro to CLT just to see what the fuss is about - even if you don't like the place. My friends and family are about 50/50...either you love it or think its God awful cheap european modern crap. We've bought a good bit of stuff there but also really like the outlet deals in Hickory.

I would be more inclined to buy one of the katrina cottage designs that were supposedly going to be mass marketed by Lowes. They are cute, bungalow style homes that are designed to be expandable if your family grows or if you just need a man cave I guess.

BTW...It's worth the 90 minute drive from Greensboro to CLT just to see what the fuss is about - even if you don't like the place. My friends and family are about 50/50...either you love it or think its God awful cheap european modern crap. We've bought a good bit of stuff there but also really like the outlet deals in Hickory.

Drive 90 minutes to go shopping? You're kidding, right?

Archived